SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched just to be clear, I didn't really find anything too helpful besides a bunch of different locations for the gauge.

I have a Lamco Boost gauge that came factory on the column in WRX's. I'm not sure what color it lights up but probably White :) I like it because it's 45mm instead of 52mm like the IPD R gauge (even though the face is not half as good). Also.. it was free so can't complain about that.

A few questions and pics below:
  • If I mount it on the steering column rather than the pillar, would it be easier to route the line and wires?
  • Where should I T into the vacuum line? Is there a spot inside the car rather than going through the firewall? (I know few cars have this option)
  • If I go through the firewall could someone describe or show a picture where it's best to go through without drilling a hole or breaking something..
  • Right now the gauge has about 5 feet of line on it, should that be enough? It seems to be 3/16ID and 7/16OD vacuum line.
  • Does autozone or a local parts store sell a T that will work with this size hose and whatever hose I'm reccomended to T into?

Questions about wiring:
  • The gauge has a yellow and a black wire leads coming off of it. I'm not sure which is which but I'm guessing one in ground and one is power. If these are backwards will it still work? I'm afraid to test it I don't know which is which and I blow something.
  • Once I know which is the ground wire that should be easy, but the other wire I'd like to dim with my dash lights if possible. Does anyone know which wire to T into from the dimmer scroll on the dash?

This spot is ok I think but opinions on which is better would be nice. (The gauge is not completely pushed in the pod because it's a ***** to get out of the rubber pod.

I can turn the gauge in the pod obviously, I just didn't have it out when I took this picture.

Thank you in advance for the help :)

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
i would do it on the column, when mine was mounted near the a pillar i hated all the reflections in the windows at night

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
There's a spot in the engine bay to feed through the door jam. There's then a rubber grommet that goes through the side panel behind the fender and then into the fuse panel.

It does actually go through the door jam. I can post a photo in a little bit.

As far as Wiring. Black ground orange power. Though I would go to the website of the manufacturer of the boost gauge and read a manual just to double check.

You'll want to fuse tap into the fuse box under the steering wheel in order for the power to not be on constantly.

If you any help Leme kno!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
You could also put the gauge into a vent pod if you wanted I have one vent pod set up I'm not suing anymore :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked it up black is ground and I'm guessing I can run the other to the dimmer? Or does it need to be a three wire setup for a dimmer?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Your gauge is going to need 12V accessory power, which on the 05+ R's is going to come from the fuse box under the steering column area. I assume your gauge is mechanical and the power is just for illumination of the dial, I'm not sure how to make it dimmable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to attempt to get some of it done today. I'm unsure about the wiring to be dimmable so I'll wait on that for now.

I want to get the mechanical part done though. I'm attaching a couple pictures. Which is best to T into the vacuum lines?
Picture #1

Picture #2

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The vac/boost line off the intake manifold is where I think most people are tapping into. I was able to get my T installed in this area without removing the cover (I might have loosened it to move it a little bit out of the way, I don't remember). Here's a pic from one of the "boost gauge know how" threads in the stickies at the top:

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm looking at adding a boost gauge also and was wondering if I could just use a add-a-fuse type connecter instead of having to deal with pulling out the radio to tap into the cigg lighter wire?

I think that would make installing a lot easier since pulling out the radio is the only reason I haven't done this yet :D I hate struggling with that damn thing.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yes, the "Mini fuse" circuit taps work fine. Here's another pic of the vac/boost line to tap:

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There's a spot in the engine bay to feed through the door jam. There's then a rubber grommet that goes through the side panel behind the fender and then into the fuse panel.

It does actually go through the door jam. I can post a photo in a little bit.
did you just suggest to go thru the door jam? i personally would not take that route. there is a rubber gromit to go thru under the dash up to the left.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts