SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I would like to know which one is better? Which is more accurate and easy to install?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Less electronics in a car is better so get normal mechanic gauge

·
Registered
501 Posts
The real benefit to most electric boost gauges is that electric gauges self calibrate when you turn the car to the 'on' position, this ensures an acurate reading every time, allowing the gauge to adjust to atmospheric pressure and always display the perfect reading. The drawback is there is a delay between the readout since the gauges use a sending unit.

However, a quality mechanical gauge is just as accurate as long as you remember because of different atmospheric pressures the gauge often doesn't read a perfect "0" and is usually a half pound one way or the other, but because you'll know your gauge isn't 0ed out you simply take that into account in your readings.

Electric gauges are also three or four times more expensive than mechanical gauges.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Keep it simple with a mechanical gauge, less to go wrong. I use a cheap $20 SunPro gauges from Advance Auto in both my Volvos and others have used it to without problems.

Easy to mount right in the middle of the gauges for clean install with perfect visibilty:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here are some pictures of my mechanical VDO boost gauge with the cut by caschy boost gauge pod

And here is the crappy indirect illumination with a regular 194 bulb and green gel cap

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures of my mechanical VDO boost gauge with the cut by caschy boost gauge pod

And here is the crappy indirect illumination with a regular 194 bulb and green gel cap
Im thinking of buying this cubby insert. A few questions though, did u have to drill a hole somewhere to run the wires and hose? Where did u a tap into? And are u able to use the dim lever to dim the gauge?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I like the VDO gauges. Also to remedy the indirect lighting, have you thought of an LED bulb?

Also how did you hook up your gauge NJGreenBudd? I hooked my friend's up and it didn't have the t-barb fitting. Granted you can buy them at hardware stores. It's still a pain.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Im thinking of buying this cubby insert. A few questions though, did u have to drill a hole somewhere to run the wires and hose? Where did u a tap into? And are u able to use the dim lever to dim the gauge?
The cubby insert is great, its a pretty good match to the radio, and a convenient spot if you do not use the pocket often. There is no drilling necessary I ran the boost tubing to the grommet under the dash on the drivers side foot well by the obdII port.

Just a few notes on the 05+ you have to remove the climate control from the radio to remove the pocket and install the insert. I also glued mine with clear rtv, instead of using tape but be careful if you do this because I got a little excess on the front side of the panel and it discolored the paint on the cubby. Because I have to repaint it and it was getting dark plus I didn't have a wiring diagram with me I didn't feel like taking the time to figure out which wire will dim it. When I plan on taking out the insert and repainting it I will rewire it so it dims, although with the poor indirect lighting say you don't even notice it is on during the day.

I like the VDO gauges. Also to remedy the indirect lighting, have you thought of an LED bulb?

Also how did you hook up your gauge NJGreenBudd? I hooked my friend's up and it didn't have the t-barb fitting. Granted you can buy them at hardware stores. It's still a pain.
I bought a couple of different led bulbs unfortunately once you go brighter the green looks more and more off and they are so much brighter than the rest of the gauges/lights that it simply stood out to much for my liking.

Oh one last thing, if you can get a Y fitting instead of a T I would go that route because I think it would help make for a cleaner install when routing the tubing under the hood. I went with a T only because I couldn't find an anti-buzz Y and I was afraid of my VDO buzzing.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Did you put the filter on it? And the VDO should be equipped with a dimmer wire that you tap into a power source and can easily offset that brightness while keeping it from looking all crappy

·
Registered
501 Posts
Did you put the filter on it? And the VDO should be equipped with a dimmer wire that you tap into a power source and can easily offset that brightness while keeping it from looking all crappy
Yeah I went with an antibuzz fitting, so there is no buzzing, I just wish I went with a Y and a filter instead of the normal T just to make the install a little cleaner.

edit: I understand what you're saying, about the dimmer wire, however when I say brightness I should also say the intensity of the color. Whether it is green or white the color created by the led is much more vivid than an incandescent with a filter (while it is somewhat brighter but not much) it is this more vivid color stands out substantially compared to the factory lights. So think of it like a bright green light from a 90s ford dash or a pure white with our soft green.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
tbh I think that would be an improvement over the dim indirect lighting it has now. But that's just a personal thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts