SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was doing a few spirited pulls to see how the car is behaving in this cool weather. At WOT I noticed that my boost gauge would spike about 18-19lbs hold for a few seconds then as the RPMs are climbing the boost is decreasing. It went from 18-19lbs down to 15lbs even seen it go down to 14lbs once. This is at higher RPMs. Then when the trans shifts it would spike up to 19-20lbs hold at about 18lbs for a few seconds then starts decreasing again.

Is this normal? I have another map that peter from autotech made me that the boost hits and holds solid at WOT even at higher RPMs. But the thing is on that map for some reason my trans slips a little bit. (only on that map.) Emailed Peter a couple of months back letting him know about my trans issue and the reply I got from him was "I guess the transmission doesn't like the boost". Asked him if there was anything he can do about the transmission slipping during shifts and he said no.

Maybe the boost dropping can be the tune? All my mods are listed in my signature. I would think having the mods I have done to the R, boost would hold a bit more solid and not start decreasing under WOT. Do you guys think this is normal? Anyone else with or without a tune experience this?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The turbo won't support that much boost at high RPM's, it's normal.

Same thing with manual trans.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turbo won't support that much boost at high RPM's, it's normal.

Same thing with manual trans.
I thought that as well before. But my other file holds the boost more solid then my current one.
Just want to get the best performance out of my R.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I thought that as well before. But my other file holds the boost more solid then my current one.
Adjust your wastegate?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
When you say other file are you referring to the stock tune?

If so I have the same outcome. Stock tune can hold boost at 14.7 psi no problem but tuned tune has boost deterioration at higher RPM.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think the trans issue is interesting--first time I'm seeing mention of a trans slipping on these forums. If it were me I'd be inclined to do as full a replacement of the ATF as possible & try the other file one more time--maybe your fluid is really beat and causing funky performance.

Other than that, I wonder what option you have with beefing the trans other than working with a knowledgable trans shop on some custom solution. Some shops know how to make their own 'shift kits'--which accumulator springs to beef for example. Much of it is just messing with the valvebody, but unfortunately unless they've done it before on the same transmission you get to be the guinea pig. The trans may already be designed within an inch of its life (as many things are these days), so any higher duties might kill it faster. Even if someone had the design specs from AW the mods would need to be validated to be sure... Anyways I wish more modern automatic transmissions had more aftermarket support (imagine a transgo performance shift kit for the TF-80SC), but there is undoubtedly not enough demand to justify the amount of effort that would be required, which sucks for us (of course it doesn't matter for me yet, I'm still totally stock w.r.t. power).

It would be so cool if we could get a higher stall converter & retain the lockup feature (or even improve on it, like PI converters), plus a comprehensive shift kit that would bump up the line pressure, firm up the shifts progressively with throttle, & actually make the tapshift responsive, but oh well. Imagine goosing it at a light and having the RPM flash to 2500 & launch like a rocket...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts