SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the VDO boost gauge kit from IPD in my 2002 2.4T AWD. I wanted to see what the surging feeling under load really was. I found that when I'm going up a hill with the throttle above 1/2 open the boost is bouncing from 5-10 psi and then back down to 5 then back up to 10 etc... While maintaining speed pulling up the hill it continues to bounce like this. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I'm not sure if I should suspect the TCV or the CBV or something else entirely? Is there something else obvious that I should check?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine was doing this same thing, not from 5-10, mine was 10-16 but thats because Im tuned. But I replaced the TCV and it went right away and hasn't happened yet. Although it wouldn't hurt to replace the CBV as well. how many miles are on the car, has the cars TCV or CBV ever been replaced, and have the boost lines ever been changed? I would start with the TCV, I personally went with an ARD tuning one but an OEM one will do just fine.

Hopefully that fixes the issue, wish I was near by I'd hook up my CBV and we could go test drive and see if it fixed the issue before you went out and bought one as it only takes a couple minutes to hook the new one up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check for a boost leak and check your wastegate setting, other than that it could be a vac line leak or faulty TCV or CBV
Any good articles you could point me to on how to check boost leak and the wastegate setting?

Mine was doing this same thing, not from 5-10, mine was 10-16 but thats because Im tuned. But I replaced the TCV and it went right away and hasn't happened yet. Although it wouldn't hurt to replace the CBV as well. how many miles are on the car, has the cars TCV or CBV ever been replaced, and have the boost lines ever been changed? I would start with the TCV, I personally went with an ARD tuning one but an OEM one will do just fine.

Hopefully that fixes the issue, wish I was near by I'd hook up my CBV and we could go test drive and see if it fixed the issue before you went out and bought one as it only takes a couple minutes to hook the new one up.
That would be great. Is there anyway to test the TCV short of replacing it and seeing if the problem goes away? I was told you can test the CBV with a Mity-vac to see if there is a hole in the diaphragm?
The S60 has 38,500 miles on it and I doubt any of that has ever been changed but I just bought it a few months ago. Does some one sell a boost line kit or can you just find the lines at the local auto parts store?

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can get the boost tubing here you'll need 7ft as specified I got 10 buts because I wanted extra incase i screwed up considering how cheap it is by the foot. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4765/113200-silicone-hose-5mm-id As far as testing the tcv not really aware of any ways, I'm sure others could chime in if they know any ways. But I just dont know what else it could possibly be besides a faulty wastegate which if you havent touched the wastegate then I dont see how it would be having problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link on the tubing. I will pick some of that up with my next IPG order. What about the Boost Pressure Sensor? This video said BPS failure is fairly common.

Could it be that the wastegate is just improperly adjusted?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I noticed that the TCV is sitting completely free in the engine compartment.

Should it be secured to something or is it supposed to just bounce around? Could this be part of my problem?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It should be clipped onto your airbox by a plastic clip. Also you need a spring clamp on that hose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright. Thanks for all the advice guys. I ordered some spring clamps, 10' of new 5mm ID silicone hose (Thanks Volvo_S60Turbo), a TCV and the HD CBV. I figure I'll just replace it all for $150 and take the guess work out. Of course it won't fix the problem and then I'll end up having to order a Boost Pressure Sensor :p

While I'm waiting for all that stuff to come in, I'll be changing the timing belt this weekend.

That much closer to a good Stage 0 so I can start turning up the power!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts