SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been toying around with this idea for a while and I couldn't bring myself to spend $400 on one of these from Sound Performance. Most people use these for a cutout (instead of electronic), but I ended up using it for exhaust quieting. I was amazed at how well it worked. The exhaust sounded completely stock when it was almost closed and as the boost built up and the valve opened, the sound shifted to its true aftermarket tone.
The internal spring of this wastegate actuator was pretty stiff and the valve wasn't fully open until 20psi, so I that is why you see a compression spring around the rod to lower the PSI limit. I am going to switch to an actuator with a 7psi spring and it should eliminate the need for that additional spring. I ran into an issue with ground clearance, so I need to revamp mounting for the actuator. And now since it works, I can make it look pretty. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
But doesn't that mean you're adding restriction @ low pressure and thereby reducing fuel economy?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Matt, isn't there an issue with these types of things developing leaks after time? Idk I thought I read somewhere that from the constant opening/closing plus heat that the seal when closed fails over time. If this is true, I guess it would be a non issue if you designed it so it was never allowed to fully close

Sent from my HTC Dream

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But doesn't that mean you're adding restriction @ low pressure and thereby reducing fuel economy?
Not at all. When you are in cruising mode, the throttle is barely open and you are therefore flowing very little volume. As the load increase (throttle opens), flow increases, and the cutout opens. The valve isn't fully closed at cruising speeds. It's adjustable, but I had it set somewhere around 30 degrees...just enough to keep the exhaust quiet. Think of it this way. When you are driving light on the throttle, it doesn't matter if you have a 2" straight pipe or 3" straight pipe. Both will exceed the requirements of what is needed.

Matt, isn't there an issue with these types of things developing leaks after time? Idk I thought I read somewhere that from the constant opening/closing plus heat that the seal when closed fails over time. If this is true, I guess it would be a non issue if you designed it so it was never allowed to fully close

Sent from my HTC Dream
Tony, I haven't actually seen that. I know some people that run the electronic ones for very long periods of time without problems. This is just like the electronic one, but without the motor. When using it in the exhaust stream, as I designed, it should never be closed all the time. During my first test, I had it closed too far, and it wouldn't build any boost at all. Whoops!
For the primary use as a cutout, sealing is 100% critical and I need to look into that more for sure.

I just wanted to post my initial success even though it looks hideous. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Can this concept be applied to y-pipe cutouts?

I feel like when mine is open, bottom-end response and power is reduced until car builds boost....that and the car really sounds like crap at idle ( discussion with KMG_S60R made me feel like the cutout is placed too close to the turbo; mine is towards the 45 bend that goes towards to CB portion while his is farther down --> there is quite a difference in sound between his and mine at lower rpms but not at WOT).

I would be VERY interested to be able to flip a switch and have the wastegate driven cutout available when boost is built.

Win-win if possible.....get lower rpm backpressure until boost builds at which point the cutout opens.......and the ratty diesel engine noise is removed from the equation.

Coupling this with ARD's MMS option to have advanced setup for a progressive cutout scheme would be sweet tittties.

Looking forward to hearing about this Phuzzy!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can this concept be applied to y-pipe cutouts?
That is actually the main plan. I just wanted the quiet exhaust for myself. :D

I feel like when mine is open, bottom-end response and power is reduced until car builds boost....that and the car really sounds like crap at idle ( discussion with KMG_S60R made me feel like the cutout is placed too close to the turbo; mine is towards the 45 bend that goes towards to CB portion while his is farther down --> there is quite a difference in sound between his and mine at lower rpms but not at WOT).

I would be VERY interested to be able to flip a switch and have the wastegate driven cutout available when boost is built.

Win-win if possible.....get lower rpm backpressure until boost builds at which point the cutout opens.......and the ratty diesel engine noise is removed from the equation.

Coupling this with ARD's MMS option to have advanced setup for a progressive cutout scheme would be sweet tittties.

Looking forward to hearing about this Phuzzy!!!
Yea, exactly! You could wire a solenoid to a switch and let it see boost or not. (Enable or Disable)
Nice idea!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
LOVING this! More forum innovations FTW! Nice work Matt!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That is actually the main plan. I just wanted the quiet exhaust for myself. :D

Yea, exactly! You could wire a solenoid to a switch and let it see boost or not. (Enable or Disable)
Nice idea!
If you can get this to work....I will have a phuz-chub!!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Holy crap I just sourced this out and that fully justifies the price of Sound Performance's unit. I was gonna "dougy" one up but not so much anymore lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts