SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was racing a Mustang yesterday in my 04 Manual S60R. After winning I did a pull from first to second gear. I heard something break(PING!~*) and I was rolling with loss of power. I couldn't disengage or reingage clutch. Car eventually rolled to a stop. Started it again but the idle was extremely rough and it would die if i didn't add gas. Also I could not get it to engage in gear to move. Now today I tried starting it and it won't even start anymore it just cranks over. I just replaced the clutch 10000 miles ago and have had some issues with the engagement point changing and it wearing down. However, it has been driving fine for the 10000 mile or so.

Info can be found here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?514041-Clutch-Job-2004!-Without-lift-or-Engine-support
Perhaps I did something wrong.

The car is modded (stage 2+)
Intercooler
Intake
Meth injection
fuel pump swapped

3 New codes showed up:
TurboCharger (TC) control system flow fault (this one I believe is the reason, but doing research yields no clear results)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The ping sounds like an angle gear.

Engine computer would have been very confused with no speed feedback from the broken drive train???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The ping sounds like an angle gear.

Engine computer would have been very confused with no speed feedback from the broken drive train???

But even with a broken angle gear, car should still start and even move. Just turning the car into a FWD car right? My car doesn't even start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But even with a broken angle gear, car should still start and even move. Just turning the car into a FWD car right? My car doesn't even start.
Yes your car would drive with a broken angle gear, been there done that.

I wonder what that sound was... is the motor making strange noises? Also seeing as your clutch isn’t working and your having gear change issues I would start there.

If you have access to VIDA/DICE hook it up and see what’s happening.

Good luck, keep us updated, and I’ll try to find similar cases and potential symptoms/causes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure about the clutch engaging/disengaging but, check to see if the charge pipe or IC pipe came off.

I once had the plastic pipe pop off the IC side. While the pipe was floating in front of the IC the car would either barely start(with extreme rough idle and then immediately stall) or not start at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As mentioned above, i would check for boost leaks. But i can confirm, a car will run completely 100% fine with a broken angle gear/angle gear collar sleeve. I didn't even notice my collar sleeve was broken until winter, about 6 months after i bought my R.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I have gotten down to the issue. I finally got some time to look at it and when The key is in "ignition." I remembered there was some sort of "schrader" valve on the injector fuel rail on top of the engine to test fuel pressure. I found such a valve(kinda like a bike tire fill valve) and pushed the pin down expecting for fuel to squirt into my face. No fuel at all came out of the valve. Same happened while i was cranking the engine. I also did not hear the fuel pump come on so I guess the fuel pump failed or the wires are not making good contact all the way through.

I replaced the stock fuel pump about 10000 miles ago with an Aeromotive one from Vivaperformance. Perhaps my wiring is corroded or the fuel pump failed. If it is the fuel pump failed then I wouldn't recommend Aeromotive as a performance option. Fuel pump is so important for a car. Imagine racing a mustang and going lean at max boost, for many cars that would be a BOOM for the engine. Not so sure about these Volvo engines. With any luck, I'll replace the fuel pump/fix the wiring and be on my merry way. If im unlucky(I did hear something break while driving) I will have bent a rod or damaged something mechanical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts