SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our T8 today came up with a warning on the screen and in the app to "Book Service", but the car only has 1300 miles on it or so -- we bought at the end of January.

Seems awfully short to have a normal maintenance routine, but it does not give any indication of something else being wrong.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
The car probably sat a while between when it had the PDI inspection done and you bought it. The service light should have been reset at the time of sale but it wasn't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car probably sat a while between when it had the PDI inspection done and you bought it. The service light should have been reset at the time of sale but it wasn't.
Ok, I think I am following your logic. Let me see if I got this right: dealer received car and did PDI inspection. It might have sat on lot as a 2019 from September until we bought it at end of January, and they forgot to reset it then, and we have had it for 3.5 months now -- but because we don't put much mileage on it there is only 1300 miles. But, the computer thinks there is 9-10 months on it, and due for service (regardless of actual mileage) -- hence why it thinks it should do the 10k service on a car that only has 1300?

Does that mean the car actually needs a service, or just the light reset?

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Yeah, the service reminder comes on due to time and engine hiurs in addition to miles. So time is likely your trigger here. It doesn't need a service. Once the light is reset, be sure to take it for the first service at 10k or 1 year from your in service date.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the service reminder comes on due to time and engine hiurs in addition to miles. So time is likely your trigger here. It doesn't need a service. Once the light is reset, be sure to take it for the first service at 10k or 1 year from your in service date.
Awesome -- thanks! I will reset it myself tonight.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, that doesn't really make sense. If the service needs to be done every x number of miles, or x number of months. Then it stands to reason that the service needs to be done if it hasn't been done in x number of months. Sitting on a dealer lot isn't different then sitting in your driveway.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Well, that doesn't really make sense. If the service needs to be done every x number of miles, or x number of months. Then it stands to reason that the service needs to be done if it hasn't been done in x number of months. Sitting on a dealer lot isn't different then sitting in your driveway.
I've heard this argument before. All I can say is the protocol is to reset the service light at time of sale and that starts the clock.

Sitting on a lot is different than someone who does say, 2000 miles in 12 months.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks - but I was aware of this. It did not work on my car. There were many threads about how to reset on SPA cars and I guess there were some changes over time - but I was never able to get it to work on my car. Going by those threads, I was not the only one. Not sure if recent software updates have solved this - I don't drive that car anymore.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There were no updates to the reset procedure. It's a simple process but timing is important.
Well, when I complained about it, the salesperson at my dealership tried to give me a demonstration, but he just couldn't do it. So he mumbled something about a software update. But hey, it's water under the bridge for me.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Yeah well he's a sales person. I'm surprised he even had a clue what the reset procedure was. He was wrong about the software.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You're a lucky man :)
I guess lucky is relative. I wish I could have kept driving it. There is a lot I liked about SPA Volvo's - the interior and comfort is second to none. You can't buy another car below USD 100k with the same seat comfort level. Too bad the reliability issues made it a non-feasible experience, in my case. Yet, a year later, I am still browsing these forums, which I guess is a testament to how conflicted I am about this whole brand.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I guess lucky is relative. I wish I could have kept driving it. There is a lot I liked about SPA Volvo's - the interior and comfort is second to none. You can't buy another car below USD 100k with the same seat comfort level. Too bad the reliability issues made it a non-feasible experience, in my case. Yet, a year later, I am still browsing these forums, which I guess is a testament to how conflicted I am about this whole brand.

The interior is beautiful but I do not agree with you for the seats. I'm not sure which other car you tried and which seat option.
The seats are comfortable, but there are other similar cars with the same level of seat comfort
Software entire car is terribly unreliable, Volvo constantly some fixes and upgrades work, and there are still problems

·
Registered
173 Posts
This exact thing happened to mine today. I bought in Nov, 2018 and it just hit 5000k and I get this Schedule Service message popping up. Only took a few seconds to reset but wonder what they actually did during the PDI :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
The time for service isn't based on sitting, but on the assumption that it's just getting lots of short trips. And those short trips are much harder miles than lots of highway miles. If you insist the first service is done, it would count against the free service for the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts