SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just want to state that I am not looking for some crazy horsepower goals. I don't want change out the internals of my motor, and I don't want to worry about cylinder separation or throwing a rod. Gone are the days and the desires for me to piggyback my ECU, or have a ton of extra gauges in my cockpit to monitor, with the exception of boost pressure. I don't want to always have to worry about EGT or AFR (with the exception of datalogging runs for proper tuning). After my deployment, my priorities shifted and all that went to the wayside. I just want things simpler.<br>That being said:<br>Is there a bolt on turbo out there that will widen the powerband and bring our cars to a safe and reliable 400-ish bhp without the worries? I've seen some archived threads on the subject, but it seems their goals were a little higher than mine. I guess the closest thing I've seen is "turbo for the masses?? [Archived]" where the OP modded his turbo with a K26 turbine wheel and a larger compressor from Majestic, but it was alive in 2006 and I was hoping there was more R'n'D done since then. I am assuming this was done with a custom DP/exhaust manifold... No mention of whether or not there is a safe/dependable tune for it, or how his engine held up over time.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Bolt on turbo upgrade with tune? (chrizzis)

<A HREF="http://www.vivaperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=799" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vivaperformance.com...d=799</A><p>You'll need a turbo-back, and I'd suggest a fmic as well.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Re: Bolt on turbo upgrade with tune? (chrizzis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>chrizzis</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, I just want to state that I am not looking for some crazy horsepower goals. I don't want change out the internals of my motor, and I don't want to worry about cylinder separation or throwing a rod. Gone are the days and the desires for me to piggyback my ECU, or have a ton of extra gauges in my cockpit to monitor, with the exception of boost pressure. I don't want to always have to worry about EGT or AFR (with the exception of datalogging runs for proper tuning). After my deployment, my priorities shifted and all that went to the wayside. I just want things simpler.<br>That being said:<br>Is there a bolt on turbo out there that will widen the powerband and bring our cars to a safe and reliable 400-ish bhp without the worries? I've seen some archived threads on the subject, but it seems their goals were a little higher than mine. I guess the closest thing I've seen is "turbo for the masses?? [Archived]" where the OP modded his turbo with a K26 turbine wheel and a larger compressor from Majestic, but it was alive in 2006 and I was hoping there was more R'n'D done since then. I am assuming this was done with a custom DP/exhaust manifold... No mention of whether or not there is a safe/dependable tune for it, or how his engine held up over time.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>IPD stage III.<p>Untill then, there is a choice.. hybrid turbo. Consult George at Vivaperformance.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Bolt on turbo upgrade with tune? (chinaonnitrous1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>chinaonnitrous1</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p><br>IPD stage III.<p>Untill then, there is a choice.. hybrid turbo. Consult George at Vivaperformance.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>+1.<p>Remember, you pay to play. Reliability will <i>potentially</i> go further down the drain with every additional hp you add. It's worth doing a vast amount of research before pulling the trigger on something as big as this. If it was just bolt-on parts and a quick common tune, that's a different story.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Re: Bolt on turbo upgrade with tune? (m3nt0s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>m3nt0s</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>+1.<p>Remember, you pay to play. Reliability will <i>potentially</i> go further down the drain with every additional hp you add. It's worth doing a vast amount of research before pulling the trigger on something as big as this. If it was just bolt-on parts and a quick common tune, that's a different story.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Or we could just slap on a 100 hp nitrous shot.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Bolt on turbo upgrade with tune? (chinaonnitrous1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>chinaonnitrous1</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Or we could just slap on a 100 hp nitrous shot.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Pretty sure that's just a bad idea. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts