SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried... I don't know what it is with our luck with this car...

So the last month or so, as we've parked our car in our driveway spot, which slopes upwards from the road, as well as sideways, I've been hearing creaking noises which sound like they're from body flex. After 4 years of parking our Mazda 3 wagon there, we didn't have one single creak in the slightest... So this is really annoying from a brand new car with the kind of quality this is supposed to have, and on top of that, a car that's supposed to be even taken off road, where I would think much worse body flex would be occuring.

Here's what our spot looks like, hardly something that this car should have an issue with...

And here's a video of what it sounds like in the cabin, with the windows up, when backing out of the parking space, or driving into it. Pay attention at the 12 second and 26 second marks.

1. Does anyone here get any sort of creaking inside the cabin when the car is driving on a sloped spot like ours?
So to narrow it down, I found a bump in a parking lot to drive over (it's only about 6 inches high):

The creaking from body flex didn't happen, but instead I get a really nasty loud creaking sound from the suspension when the driver's front wheel goes over the bump, and when coming in the other direction, the rear passenger wheel goes over it.

2. What the heck is going on with the suspension? Car sounds like it's made of wood! And this creaking now also happens when making right turns!

Here's a few videos I made of it. Driver's front wheel:

And here's the rear passenger wheel one:

Modified by Lotus99 at 9:14 PM 5-31-2009

Modified by Lotus99 at 12:04 AM 6-1-2009

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (Lotus99)

Update: Added video in first post of creaking noises from body flex... Unreal.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Your car and you are definitely not off to a good start together, eh?

Well, the creaking is obvious --good job recording it. I certainly can't say if it's normal or within expectations, but I'd send it to Volvo and your dealer.

Maybe it's just something that needs lubrication.

Mine hasn't creaked like that...yet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (etherfarm)

Quote, originally posted by etherfarm »
Your car and you are definitely not off to a good start together, eh?

Well, the creaking is obvious --good job recording it. I certainly can't say if it's normal or within expectations, but I'd send it to Volvo and your dealer.

Maybe it's just something that needs lubrication.

Mine hasn't creaked like that...yet.

Tell me about it...

I can hope that the suspension creaking when I go over that bump just needs lubrication... although in 20 years of driving, I can say this has never happened to any car I've driven in, so it's already a bad sign to me.

But I don't understand how lubrication can fix creaking when it's due to body flex.

I hope they figure it out.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

Are you shure it's really from the suspension etc?

The door/tailgate locks/rubber creaking is (was) a big problem in Sweden. Your dealer should now about the problem.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (T5_awd)

Doesn't sound like it is suspension. It is too clear to be from the outside. I would have someone ride in the back seat, and the way back and see if they can hear anything. I'm very rattle OCD and have found noises doing this. If it is an interior rattle it may just need a piece of felt or an adjustment to a part or two. But I have to say Volvo's make noises, evenutally. Everyone of ours did and it just becomes part of the Swedish experience.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (comp1)

Dropped car off at dealer to replace driveshaft, and mentioned these two creaking sounds. The one I thought comes from suspension also shows up when I just make right hand turns on perfectly smooth roads, and not left turns, which is odd if it's the hatch. And I thought the hatch problem was mainly when hitting bumps in the road?

Wonder how they'll try to replicate them without driving over the same roads I did?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

I'm bringing my car for service today. One of the things I'll bring up is this same issue. Same symptoms as well.

I found these info at http://www.volvotechinfo.com:

RTJ17225-2009-05-12
RTJ17547-2009-03-20
RTJ17644-2009-05-06

They're found at the TNN Tech service bulletin section.

Edit: I narrowed it down to the point where the creaks happen where the front right wheel is unloaded (i.e. when front left suspension is compressed). I put ramps diagonally to prove it.

Modified by djeremya at 11:17 AM 6-1-2009

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (djeremya)

Quote, originally posted by djeremya »
I'm bringing my car for service today. One of the things I'll bring up is this same issue. Same symptoms as well.

I found these info at http://www.volvotechinfo.com:

RTJ17225-2009-05-12
RTJ17547-2009-03-20
RTJ17644-2009-05-06

They're found at the TNN Tech service bulletin section.

Edit: I narrowed it down to the point where the creaks happen where the front right wheel is unloaded (i.e. when front left suspension is compressed). I put ramps diagonally to prove it.

Modified by djeremya at 11:17 AM 6-1-2009

Nicely done! I can't seem to find a way to read them though? I found it via Search, but it's only to buy? Is that how you found them?

In a nutshell, what is causing it?

Sounds like you have the same issue I do with the driver's wheel being compressed making noise. I assume you're referring to the suspension creaks, and not the body flex ones? Or are they related?

By the way, how do you find these things? Did you just type in the word suspension in the search box for the XC70? That only gives documents with the word suspension in the title, and not the same result set that you got.

Modified by Lotus99 at 12:03 PM 6-1-2009

·
Registered
223 Posts

My creaking noises were coming from the rear and rectified (if you can call it that) with a bit of silicon grease being rubbed into the tailgate rubbers (see my creaking thread). I have just started to hear another and i think its the drivers side rear door. Someone else has had a tailgate latch replaced.

the youtube creak recording was very innovative!! You seem to indicate the creak is coming from not the rear though with the mention of the drivers wheel???

it might be an idea to grease the rubbers on the tailgate first, then drive the driveway, and then with each of the rear doors more to eliminate this possibility before moving onto exploring faults with the suspension which is a lot harder.

I wonder if they have had creaking problems with the v70's?? or is it something specific to the jacked up xc70's??

Your having terrible bad luck with the wagon. Dont give up on it though.

Cheers
Hatdriver

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Body flex creaking already?! Suspension creaking too! (Hatdriver)

I have two problems, in my opinion:

1 - Creaking from body flex when going in and out of my parking spot. That's the first recording. It sounds like it's coming really loud from the passenger B pillar to me.

2 - Suspension related creaking where when just my front driver's wheel or rear passenger wheels go over this 6 inch bump (second set of videos), which also was being heard when making right hand turns after I did my tests.

I got the car back and they need to order some parts for it they say. For creaking #1, they're going to first assume it's the tailgate as per RTJ18838, to rule that out before moving onto other things. Apparently it just says to install special grease in rear latch, so it's too bad they don't have that grease on hand... when they get it, if the grease doesn't solve it, they'll replace the mechanism they said.

Can anyone confirm if this bulletin says to just grease it or replace it?

For creak #2, the work order says RTJ17644 applies (hats off to djeremya for finding that!) and they ordered parts. So when I'm back in there in 10 days, I'll mention the other two bulletins djeremya dug up as well, in case they're worth reviewing, but hopefully the one they've picked on fixes it.

I'm more worried about the body flex creaking, since that to me might be harder to locate & fix. But I hope they're right and it's simply the tailgate latch mechanism.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I should add that we're right hand drive so the noise is coming from the same region (i.e. b pillar which is my drivers side and your off-side). I have only noticed it this week and I have done 24000 miles. i will put some silicon grease on the rear door rubber this w/e and let you know.

I note that your advice is for the 'special grease in rear latch' which is different to what they did with mine, that is, they greased the rear latch and additionally the black rubbers in the tailgate. One thing i have noticed though is that the rubbers are now collecting dust/hair.

having said all that, its like magic they put on the grease and the noise stops (in the tailgate anyway).

cheers

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

i have been using 'sailkote' for this on our v70 and v40. it does work for months. the advantage i found was that it is a 'dry lubricant' spray and it lasts the longest of all things i have used. i found this stuff when i had a cheoy lee sail boat years ago. it is fantastic stuff. (this is the stuff Harken recommends for their gear.)

it can be found at ship chandleries, west marine, etc. but, i bet any good silicon dry spay would work. much less mess than grease i should think. anyway, it works for our cars, and yes, it is often the rear hatch that makes the noises on our cars. i use the stuff for the door gaskets as well, after i clean them lightly, that is.

good luck, but try all these things mentioned, as well as the re-torquing of underside fasteners that jrl has mentioned in the past. i do that like he has suggested, about every 15k miles. it also works to reduce the little noises and does tighten up the car.

my .0000002 new cents.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by Hatdriver »
I should add that we're right hand drive so the noise is coming from the same region (i.e. b pillar which is my drivers side and your off-side). I have only noticed it this week and I have done 24000 miles. i will put some silicon grease on the rear door rubber this w/e and let you know.

Which rubber? I just see the seals on the two rear doors. I didn't see any rubber knobs like the ones on the tailgate mechanism?

I still think the body flex creaking sounds like it's mainly coming from the passenger side B pillar, so tonight when I came home, on a whim to see if it was door related, I left both passenger side doors open, and didn't hear a thing when I drove into my parking spot!

Then when I opened the driver's side door, it creaked at the end, so I played with it some more, and it sounds like the noise is coming from those black strips they put on the doors! I'm fairly certain as when I put my hand on them when creaking, I can feel the sound vibrations on them.

These ones:

Listen to the sound they make on my car!

Door creaking video

I wonder if it's the same thing on the passenger side causing it... I couldn't get the door to do it though when I tried. I still think it is door related, as the sound went away when the doors were open when I drove into the spot.

Modified by Lotus99 at 11:46 PM 6-1-2009

Modified by Lotus99 at 11:47 PM 6-1-2009

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lotus99 »

Nicely done! I can't seem to find a way to read them though? I found it via Search, but it's only to buy? Is that how you found them?

In a nutshell, what is causing it?

Sounds like you have the same issue I do with the driver's wheel being compressed making noise. I assume you're referring to the suspension creaks, and not the body flex ones? Or are they related?

By the way, how do you find these things? Did you just type in the word suspension in the search box for the XC70? That only gives documents with the word suspension in the title, and not the same result set that you got.

Modified by Lotus99 at 12:03 PM 6-1-2009

On the home page, hover your mouse over to "Store", then hover again to "Service/Parts Literature", then click on "Tech-NET Notes". Choose your model and year from the drop down menu. I eyeballed each and every TNN's
. There used to be a leak somewhere online, where all TNN's are viewable without even paying for it. They figured it all out and locked it all since then.

I do have both issues, suspension creaking and body flex. Body flex are common on any Volvo's after 10k miles or 16k km. Mostly around the sunroof and the b-pillar area. I got used to it after so many Volvo's. My reasoning is that Volvo uses different strength steel throughout the frame and body, so things tend to flex just a little bit. One way to reduce it is by cleaning the rubber gaskets around the door and lubricating them (worked on my S40 before).

However, suspension creaks are not normal in my books. Volvo usually comes out with a "fix" about a year or two after the first symptoms... Check out the R Forum where we all went through the clunk from the trunk for the first 3-4 years, due to the 4C system.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

ok, i just listened to the door creak u tube. it sounds like your hinges are dry, or, the 'door check' (the link that restrains the door's motion outward) is dry or rubbing. take it back in.

what you provided is sure to be replicable at a dealership. and it would be something they could deal with.

warranty covered or not, i do not know. good luck.

on the other parts of noise, i found my way works for our cars. so maybe just keep what we have done in mind. the rear hatch sounds almost like your door when going over undulations. when it does sound like that, i sailkote the rubber pads and the gasket on the rear hatch. then all is well for awhile.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

I have two problems, in my opinion:

1 - Creaking from body flex when going in and out of my parking spot. That's the first recording. It sounds like it's coming really loud from the passenger B pillar to me.

2 - Suspension related creaking where when just my front driver's wheel or rear passenger wheels go over this 6 inch bump (second set of videos), which also was being heard when making right hand turns after I did my tests.

I got the car back and they need to order some parts for it they say. For creaking #1, they're going to first assume it's the tailgate as per RTJ18838, to rule that out before moving onto other things. Apparently it just says to install special grease in rear latch, so it's too bad they don't have that grease on hand... when they get it, if the grease doesn't solve it, they'll replace the mechanism they said.

Can anyone confirm if this bulletin says to just grease it or replace it?

For creak #2, the work order says RTJ17644 applies (hats off to djeremya for finding that!) and they ordered parts. So when I'm back in there in 10 days, I'll mention the other two bulletins djeremya dug up as well, in case they're worth reviewing, but hopefully the one they've picked on fixes it.

I'm more worried about the body flex creaking, since that to me might be harder to locate & fix. But I hope they're right and it's simply the tailgate latch mechanism.

Update from my side (sorry if I hijack this thread).

Parts are being ordered, should arrive the next day or two. I left the car with them. I gave all the TNN's (I think total of 5 or 6.. can't remember exactly) however, my service advisor said some of them does not apply to my car since it's out of the VIN range. They will do "partial" fix, whatever that really means. He left me a voice mail and I didn't get to call him back.

Lotus99, could you also update us?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Not much to update at this point. I'm not due back in for the parts for 10 more days. Then I'll see what they're going to do and let you know.

In the meantime, I'm planning on getting out my rhino ramps and driving the car onto them and trying various doors open to see if I can narrow down the noise. My parking spot's too tight and I'm worried an open door will hit a wall.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

In the meantime, I'm planning on getting out my rhino ramps and driving the car onto them and trying various doors open to see if I can narrow down the noise. My parking spot's too tight and I'm worried an open door will hit a wall.

Yes, exactly what I did. I put rhino ramps on the front-left and rear-right tire. Once the car goes on the incline, it will c-r-r-r-e-a-k-k.. It didn't creak when I put the ramps on the opposite side (i.e. front-right and rear-left). Basically when the front-right suspension unload (decompressed), then it'll creak.

Take extra caution when you go up the ramps, as the AWD will fail on you. You will not make it all the way up the ramps. The tires not on the ramp will spin.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote, originally posted by djeremya »

Yes, exactly what I did. I put rhino ramps on the front-left and rear-right tire. Once the car goes on the incline, it will c-r-r-r-e-a-k-k.. It didn't creak when I put the ramps on the opposite side (i.e. front-right and rear-left). Basically when the front-right suspension unload (decompressed), then it'll creak.

Take extra caution when you go up the ramps, as the AWD will fail on you. You will not make it all the way up the ramps. The tires not on the ramp will spin.

Interesting... so you have the exact same tire/suspension combination creaking as I do. The front AND rear. Isn't the TNN they are going to follow though just for the front? TNN RTJ17644 is called "Front subframe rear bushing".

Also, I was going to try the rhino ramp test to recreate the body flex noises so that if it was doable I could show the dealer them. The suspension squeaks are quite easy to reproduce, especially since the place I was doing it is only a few blocks from the dealer so I can hopefully take a tech with me.

They're totally different than the suspension ones from the body flex ones (you can hear the difference in my videos too). The body flex noises are lower pitched wood sounding creaks, while the suspension ones are higher pitched squeaks almost. Have you found an easy way to recreate the body flex creaks?

The other thing though is your comment about the AWD. Isn't the whole point of this supposed great fourth gen Haldex system that it's smart and won't spin wheels in the air and transfer power to the wheels with traction??? You saw my complaint post about the AWD system spinning the front wheels in the snow when the rears were on dry ground, and the car wasn't moving? What you say proves my point I think...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts