SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last month (Dec '17), my wife's 2012 XC60 wouldn't start. Took the battery to Can Tire to have it tested. Sure enough, it was toast. I bought a new one and installed it within 20 minutes. We haven't had a problem since (it's been over a month now).
The reason I'm posting this is that I was poking around the forum and learned that you have to perform a BMS reset to tell the car it has a new battery. I never did this and everything seems fine.
Is this absolutely necessary? If so, how do I do this myself? What can happen if I don't do this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm not certain 2012 has BMS. I want to say it started in 2013, but I could be wrong.

If there is a small gauge wire attached at the battery positive with at 10mm nut going to a connector at the battery negative, you have BMS. In this case, you would need to reset it. If you don't, you may get false low battery warnings but no other real problems.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'm not certain 2012 has BMS. I want to say it started in 2013, but I could be wrong.

If there is a small gauge wire attached at the battery positive with at 10mm nut going to a connector at the battery negative, you have BMS. In this case, you would need to reset it. If you don't, you may get false low battery warnings but no other real problems.
My 2011 has it. I am sure all P3 from 2009 have BMS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BMS Reset

From VIDA:
For P3 cars including the XC60

View attachment 24274
For some reason the forum refuses to show the thumbnail_bms reset.jpg to me, possibly beause I'm new to the forum.

I have 2012 V70 D3 with start/stop (AGM battery) and diesel preheater. After 6y, 220kkm and cold winters the original battery is giving up, only capable of start/stop immidiately after a long ride, voltage drops too low overnight. Not too bad lifetime considering conditions, I think. The car has BMS.

The whole Volvo battery change and BMS reset information seems to be well kept secret. No official data available by search, repair shops specialized on Volvos say that there is no need to reset BMS with battery change, Haynes repair manual does not say anything about BMS, etc.

So if anyone could enlighten me with some bits off official information (that I can access also:)) about resetting BMS, it would be most useful.

Thank you!

Marek
2012 D3 V70 Ocean Race Volvo On Call

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It is possible to do a BMS reset without VIDA?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
No way I know of. It might be reset with a lengthy battery disconnect, like overnight. You have a 2010 and it shouldn't have a BMS. Have you looked at ground terminal to see if it has the square grey and tan unit with a two light gauge wire connector? I have a 1/2010 build T6 and it does not have it. When I was looking for mine I ran Vehicle Details on VINs of at least 40 2010 T6 models using current live VIDA and none had BMS. 2010 were effectively Generation 1 P3 models and the Gen 2 changes to ACC, power steering, engine power level, and the BMS weren't fitted from what I can tell. The only 2010 running change was to the engine. They removed the crankshaft viscous damper oil cooler spray jets with external hose on oil filter housing and the READ gearset intermediate gear changed from tapered roller bearings to ball bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was having same problem of "low battery" message when I turned the engine off. Just followed the procedure as in the youtube video above and it seems to have eliminated my problem

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BMS keeps battery at 85% SoC, with rapid discharges (up to 42 A) under acceleration and stronger charging when coasting-engine braking.
Battery state of charge (SoC %) and charging current (A) are displayed in "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" app for iPhone and Android.
This app works best with 2010-2014 Volvo models.

screenshot - ignition on, engine not running. Next:
screenshot - engine running
Thank you for the screenshots. Very helpful. I just downloaded the app, I'm gonna try it with my old ELM327

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 2011 has it. I am sure all P3 from 2009 have BMS.
We've had this discussion in my thread. Not all P3 cars have it.
See the pictures below for reference. The one with the wire between the positive and negative terminals is for the BMS. The other picture is my battery that doesn't have BMS.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Automotive battery

1 - 14 of 14 Posts