SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha - I recently purchased a 2006 XC90 that had the aftermarket Handsfree Bluetooth installed by the dealership about that time. I understand from the dealership that these things stop working pretty regularly and they almost NEVER fix them, or people at least don't want to pay to fix them. I'm wonder if anyone has troubleshooted this before and if there is something common that goes wrong with them. I've read the installation manual and would rather note have to start removing panels.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Blake

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Does not work how? No light in center button, pressing center button no audio prompt, audio prompt but cannot pair, what exactly does not work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My BT (same model) doesn't react on voice commands so I can't erase "slots" (all 3 are occupied) to pair my phone with this handsfree :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does not work how? No light in center button, pressing center button no audio prompt, audio prompt but cannot pair, what exactly does not work?
Hi GGleavitt,

Yes, nothing happens when I press the middle button. No light. No audio prompt. The person I bought it from said it didn't work and the dealership says that things break all the time. However, I'm one to think that means there is some common problem that can be addressed. Have you worked on these? Any ideas?

Mahalo,

blake

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
http://ftp.clubvolvo.ru/CARS DOCS A...ndsfree System with Bluetooth_31210028_en.pdf for how it's installed.

Depending on whether you have an external amp (under passenger seat or not), you can walk the cables through and see a good part of it by removing the center console side panels.

This'll give you a start. If you have an external amp, the power cable which connects under the driver side dashboard has a couple of fuses, might be good to check.

If push comes to shove and you think you have a bad control unit, they can be sourced used at the big auction site or through Erie Volvo. PN for a 2007 control unit is 31285052, think XC70 uses this as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
My BT (same model) doesn't react on voice commands so I can't erase "slots" (all 3 are occupied) to pair my phone with this handsfree :(
For this one, do you have any lights on the control switch? Center light if on is dim or blinking? If you press the center button, do you get any voice prompt at all? If yes, let me know exactly what is said.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For this one, do you have any lights on the control switch? Center light if on is dim or blinking? If you press the center button, do you get any voice prompt at all? If yes, let me know exactly what is said.
Dim or blinking as described in the manual. After pressing the center button I can hear "setup menu, please say command" but it doen't react on my commands ("help", "remove all phones" etc.) :(

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Dim or blinking as described in the manual. After pressing the center button I can hear "setup menu, please say command" but it doen't react on my commands ("help", "remove all phones" etc.) :(
So microphone or control box for this one. Could be microphone as it's an "active, cardiod pattern directional mic from AKG" rebranded by Motorola so maybe it just went dead. I see used for under $30 and new for $65 including shipping out in the world (can PM me for where) if you wanted to try it as a lower cost troubleshooting option. If it's the control box itself, like noted earlier you can find these around as well. At least you get the audio prompt so that suggests the control unit itself is not dead.

Before you go in this direction, pop off the center console side panels and see if you can locate the microphone just to be sure it's not gotten loose. Otherwise, I personally would give replacing the mic a try all things considered.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Yes. No idea, supposedly it's an "active" device so doing line resistance as a check may or may not be correct. At least you found it though and it's connected. $24 including will tell you if it's the problem, PM me and I'll get you the link for the person I saw yesterday selling one. That's about as far as I can get you....

·
Registered
235 Posts
[email protected] : In addition to checking the fuses on the handsfree harness that connect up under the dash, I would also remove the amplifier from under the passenger seat (it's not that difficult to do, just make sure to slide the seat all the way back, first) and have a look at the relay for the handsfree harness that sits down in that well. Disconnect the relay and have a look inside the connector. I ran into an XC90 before where liquid had got in there and corroded/shorted the connections - whether that was from rain/snow, a spilled drink or what - I couldn't tell. Once the handsfree harness was replaced, that system worked fine.

AndyN : although the microphone may be bad, it may also just be that the microphone cable was damaged. Follow the microphone cable from its connection to the carkit harness and up to where it is mounted overhead. Loosen or remove the A-pillar trim and anything else (overhead console) that may be along the path. You want to get the cable loose and examine if it has been pinched or clamped or cut-through anywhere. I have come across installations where the microphone cable was routed behind a piece of trim and then gets pinched underneath a screw that holds the trim or console down - over time the connection is severed or shorted and the microphone can become useless. If that is the case, you may be able to continue to use the microphone you have, as long as you fix any issue in the cable. Or, of course, you can always then just decide to buy a replacement.

I have some new and used spare parts for these kits (microphones, control buttons, carkit harnesses, control units), and some of the Volvo handsfree harnesses (a handful for the XC90, in particular), too, if needed. Send me a PM if you have a need.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For additional info: I measured a known good Volvo / Motorola IHF microphone that I have this morning, and it reads ~890 Ohms across the pins at the connector. If I remember correctly, that is the value of the shunt resistor that is in place for diagnostics. So 890 Ohms +/- 10% should let you know if the connection up to the microphone is good. That's not to say that there still couldn't be something wrong with the microphone, even if it reads correctly, but it at least lets you know that the cable likely hasn't been severed or shorted due to a pinched condition.

If that measures out OK, then a next thing to check would be the connection through the carkit harness back to the blue control unit for the carkit. Look again for pinched/severed wires, or pins that have backed out of the connectors, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The microphone cable was faulty (short circuit). Someone cut it and made impermanent connection. I fixed it and the module works again :)

Thank you very much for your help, guys :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread. My wife's '10 XC90 is having an issue with the bluetooth that just started. It will connect to the phone, but won't work. When it connects, instead of hearing your pre-recorded spoken voice, it does a momentary pop or crackle. The dealer said the module has failed, but is now NLA. I am looking for a replacement module. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Can also PM Karl on this site [khnitz], super nice guy and knows more about the Motorola Bluetooth than you could imagine. For troubleshooting, you can't do any better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Upon installation of our aftermarket system, I bypassed but left the entire bluetooth system in the vehicle because I didn't know if it would set off any errors should I remove it. If I know it won't cause any, I'd be happy to remove ours which worked perfectly. That is if it is still needed!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my dealer installed Bluetooth as well (unit installed in 2008), but the connection to device functions, there's power to the unit (blue blinks, etc), but it recently stopped transmitting though the speaker (no voice prompt through my vehicle's speakers or audible calls ringing). It will connect a call and the caller can hear me (microphone functioning), but again nothing transmits through my vehicle speakers whatsoever. Is this most likely the case of a faulty unit? This started occurring before I replaced my speakers, so I know it's unrelated to that at least.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you have an XC90, then please check the condition of the relay harness for the system. It will be located in the opening underneath the front passenger seat/floor. You can access it by removing the amplifier (3? - 10?mm bolts - it's really easy to remove). Look for signs of corrosion or water damage on the relay connector. You should replace the whole harness if there are signs of damage - I still have some available ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts