SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking about installing a bluetooth adapter in my car, but the Volvo unit is just so outdated and overpriced. I figured I could buy the Volvo harness and a separate Parrot kit and somehow connect the two together and make everything work happily. But I figured I would ask on here first if anyone has had some experience with installing a BT kit on one of these cars?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did install a Parrok MKi9200 on my S80 V8 and I can say it wasn't anywhere as easy as on my S70 (Parrot MKi9000). Basically I tapped power from the CEM (behind the glovebox for 12V and ignition from the 12V outlet and wired everything manually. I used the Auxillary input port for the audio (both iPod and Bluetooth audio/telephony). As far as I remember, there was no Volvo harness for the current generation S80, hence why I hardwired it. The configuration I used works very well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can buy a Volvo harness to work with the Motorola T605 BT. You need to choose the right harness pending on your factory sound system. Your Volvo dealer/spare parts department should be able to get the right part number.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had to hardwire the unit directly into the car without any wiring harness adapter. Essentially what I did was tap into a constant 12V supply at the CEM/fuse box under the glovebox. The next step I took 12V switched from the cig lighter outlet on the center console (since I had opened it up). Grounding was was pretty easy to find.

The next step was NOT wiring the unit between the radio and the speakers. I disconnected the AUX in port in the center console to wire in the parrot unit through that. This way it allows me to channel the audio and bluetooth audio from the Parrot into the AUX in of the radio. I chose this route simply because it involves less cutting of wires and I usually listen to my iPhone's music much more than radio or CD, so i'm usually on AUX anyways.

I have the exact configuration on my S70 with the MKi9000.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Followup questions

kelvin6 thanks for the reply. Just a couple of follow-up questions...

So on the Parrot unit there is a stereo audio out, correct? Is it line-level RCA type, or speaker level?

Are you physically connecting the audio source unit (IPhone, IPOD, phone, etc.) via cable, or are you using the Bluetooth streaming to do that. I am looking for an alternative way to hardwire an IPOD to an aux-in on the Volvo system.

I have not seen a factiory aux jack on the car (haven't taken delivery yet); where is yours?

Do you know what the factory bluetooth harness provides? I am thinking it may be a 12V or ground trigger to cause the radio to mute when a call comes in on the Bluetooth unit, and a stereo pair of inputs to provide an audio path from the Bluetooth unit to a dedicated audio input on the factory radio. If this is the case, and the Parrot has similar interfaces, then it might be fairly simple to use the factory cable to hardwire to the Parrot wiring harness, and use it the way the factory Mororola is used.

How does the Parrot perform? I am looking at trying to use the factory harness with either the Motorola IHF1000 unit or one of the the Parrot units? How do you sound to others, and how do you sound to them? Any interface issues with your phone? How is the audio quality?

I have seached for this information, but with no luck yet. For some reason when I search , I only get the first 25 responses of ever how many there are, so if the info is older when the cars first came out, I can't get access to it.

Thanks for your patience and help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The configuration I used is doesn't require a mute signal to the radio. My unit is simply placed in AUX mode for listening to the iPhone and placing calls. It does have three mute signal outputs though if you decided to have the unit mute the radio and output directly to the speakers. The line level output from the Parrot unit is a direct wire (there is no supplied connector). I just pulled off the AUX jack's harness connector behind the center console (if you remove the panel that faces the rear seats on the center console you will have access to this connector).

I chose this route, because I DO NOT want the parrot unit wired directly to my speakers. Reason for this is because the under that setup, the parrot unit will use its own internal amplifier to drive the audio for the speakers for both music and telephony. Sending the audio into the AUX in uses the radio's amplifier to do the job, which I would prefer because it will result in better sound quality. The sound quality isn't audio-phile grade, but for a audio enthusist like me it more than fits the bill. The sound quality of the bluetooth telephony is very good on both ends. The sound quality of the bluetooth steaming is also very good, almost no difference when plugging the iPhone directly in.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thank you Kelvin6.

It appears from your description that you can play music from an iPod/iPhone through either a cable, or via Bluetooth streaming. How does the sound quality of these sources compare to the other sources such as CD, Radio, Satellite, etc.?

If the sound quality is up to par, it would seem to me that your solution with the Parrot provides both hands-free Bluetooth access for the phone, and at the same time provides iPod/iPhone interface, with minimal intrusion on the stock wiring. The only inconvenience is that you have to hit a button on both the Parrot, and switch to the Aux source, to answer the phone; and that iPod playback would use only the iPod controls for selecting songs instead of using the car's controls and display. If I am missing something let me know. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty elegant, low-cost solution to the nearly $1000 price tag of adding a factory iPod kit, and Bluetooth kit.

You've got me thinking...maybe its possible to use the interface cable from factory Bluetooth kit to mute the Volvo radio on an incoming telephone call and play the telephone audio through the car's radio and speakers
and allow the Parrot to also be used as a music source via cable or streaming. The Parrot has both line level and speaker level outputs (which could be padded) to provide audio output to both the Aux input on the radio, and the line level inputs on the radio that normally receive signal from the Volvo optional Bluetooth kit...need to identify the issues to be resolved...have to consider that further, its a little late now...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Although I have not tried it, I do suspect the Parrot unit does output to both speaker and line level outputs at the same time. The mute functions will work regardless of which output you use. There are no switches or menu setting to disable one or the other so I do suppose what your thinking is very much possible. I do recommend reading through the parrot manual ahead of time to see what is coming your way.

You may also want to read up on how the bluetooth kit installs on the S80, it doesn't appear conventional (like my s70). Here is the link to all the factory accessory install manuals:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac... AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/PartNumberSearch?query=*

The link might spark some interest in other accessories! I know it sure has for me!

P.S. I just looked over the bluetooth kit and it appears it needs a software download into the car. You can probably figure that the harness may or may not have any analog signals...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I too have an early '07 S80 without factory BT. I'd like a little input/advice from you guys.
I've ordered a BPM (31282130) and understand I'll need to have it programmed in, but it appears that only the CANBUS FO's input into it. Is there a patch cable/lead to the PHM?

Thanks! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts