SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Most of the threads regarding the BLP-840 head unit are several years old and I know that since, Bluepower has improved their units.

I purchased my 840 just a few months ago (around March of 2019) and decided to spend the extra cash and have the 840 professionally installed. The installer did great and the unit works well. However, there are a few very frustrating points which the user manual (very, very poor user manual by the way) does not address:

• The screen keeps going back to the clock screen after just being 3 seconds in other screens. It's annoying and frustrating as the device does not provide a user interface to either mitigate or flat out get rid of this going back and forth.

• The screen at one point, rather than going back to the clock screen, just kept turning itself off.

• On to the Navigation portion of things: Keeps telling me that there is no SD Card. I inserted an SD Card now it tells me the path is not valid and for me to set the path manually...how?? There are no options/settings available for me to do this!

• Back to the screen: How in the world do I manage to keep the screen on, all the time without reverting back to the clock. And, should I decide I'd like to see the clock screen do I go about doing this?

• Now for the VMCD ( Virtual CD Changer): How in the world does this thing work? Keeps telling me to insert an SD card?

Any guidance/help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I really feel bad that people keep falling victim to these units. I don't think I've ever read a single review who said they were glad they bought one of these things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi ,

I bought one of these months ago but I just installed it myself, last weekend. I installed this in a 2007 V70R. I replaced the HU-850 with it. I am struggling with my installer. Once, I get him sorted out I will do a full post as these units have come a long way from what people say, but they are not perfect, as I will explain in a future post.

• The screen keeps going back to the clock screen after just being 3 seconds in other screens. It's annoying and frustrating as the device does not provide a user interface to either mitigate or flat out get rid of this going back and forth.

- There is a setting under Screen Saver for 0, 10, 20, or 30 seconds.

• The screen at one point, rather than going back to the clock screen, just kept turning itself off.

- Does the audio stay on when this happens? The question being, is the head unit turning itself off? I had the screen go black on my first and only hunt around. I assumed it was user error as I was just clicking on everything to see what it does. Try the Screen Saver Options and see how that goes.

• On to the Navigation portion of things: Keeps telling me that there is no SD Card. I inserted an SD Card now it tells me the path is not valid and for me to set the path manually...how?? There are no options/settings available for me to do this!

I am just working on this myself. The SD Card will need the appropriate files on it. I don't have these and I am waiting for someone at Bluepower to tell me where to get them. I would assume there is a need for a very specific directory structure for the GPS map data files on the SD card and possibly a text file that may include basic instructions for the head unit. I will update when I get files etc to check.

• Back to the screen: How in the world do I manage to keep the screen on, all the time without reverting back to the clock. And, should I decide I'd like to see the clock screen do I go about doing this?

- See the Screen Saver Setting in the manual pg 18 and the screen saver button pg 5 icon 14. The screen saver button is at the top right when on the Home screen. It looks like a Windows minimize window button.

• Now for the VMCD ( Virtual CD Changer): How in the world does this thing work? Keeps telling me to insert an SD card?
- I haven't got there yet, but it is very likely you would need a second SD card to the GPS SD card.

Any guidance/help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I explored the screen sleep time a bit more and I found some of the things you experienced. Maybe you can confirm you have the same experience.

The screen saver time only affects the touchscreen.
If you set a 30 second screen saver time in settings and only interact with the touch screen it waits 30 seconds before displaying the clock. If you interact with a physical button like GPS, Radio, it uses 3 second or less mode. If you use a physical button and then interact with the touch screen right away you will get your 30 seconds.

No Clock Screen Saver
If you use the physical screen brightness button at any time, the screen goes to black in screen saver mode not clock. It may keep this no clock mode until you touch the touchscreen to wake it up and then use the screen saver button on the touch screen the clock mode is restored on the screen saver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts