SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start tearing into the sR. I’m gonna have the car towed to my house from my buddies where it has been sitting for the past 3 months. The car is going to need a new heart and with that must come upgrades. Can anyone give some insight as to what I should do while the engine will be empty for a little while ? The body has 200k on it from what I remember. Hopefully I can salvage the block. I am looking to upgrade pistons rods etc... also what would be the best option for internals ? I have done a lot of research and have multiple opinions from multiple sources and can’t decide which to go with. I am shooting for 600 whp out of that car. Another important question how difficult is it swapping a new motor in the car with the current software ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
If it actually needs a new engine, it likely needs a new block. Sorry.

Unless you just mean that you want to salvage the actual block and replace everything(including sleeves)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You have a long road ahead if you want that sorta power. You can swap in another stock R motor with no software issues. You need a tune when you start messing with things like turbo, injectors, MAF, etc. With all the mods in my sig, you are looking at a bit shy of 500 whp. Bigger turbo capable of 600 whp will net more more, but less low end torque. You will also need to switch to a return style fuel system (completely custom) for such a power level. Sleeved block, rods, pistons + a good engine builder. Figure a custom exhaust manifold and downpipe as well. Massive fuel injectors + good high octane fuel or E85. Large FMIC. Yada yada....$15k, $20k, $25k, $$$$k how much do you want to spend...just a question of how far you take it and how much work you do yourself.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Do you have 20-30k lying around... because that’s what you need for that power level...

Just buy an engine (R, late T5, LPT with an R head) shove it it, and live happily ever after with your 300hp...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You have a long road ahead if you want that sorta power. You can swap in another stock R motor with no software issues. You need a tune when you start messing with things like turbo, injectors, MAF, etc. With all the mods in my sig, you are looking at a bit shy of 500 whp. Bigger turbo capable of 600 whp will net more more, but less low end torque. You will also need to switch to a return style fuel system (completely custom) for such a power level. Sleeved block, rods, pistons + a good engine builder. Figure a custom exhaust manifold and downpipe as well. Massive fuel injectors + good high octane fuel or E85. Large FMIC. Yada yada....$15k, $20k, $25k, $$$$k how much do you want to spend...just a question of how far you take it and how much work you do yourself.
You need a plan and budget first like Element R said adds up quick. Big turbos are fun too Andy don't be hating :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Ha ha... no doubt, just letting the OP know what he's trading off since it might not be obvious to all.

But my turbo spools quicker than yours... LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All my fuel pumps around where my R is going to be living for most of the rest of its life have e85 so I plan on running e85 or some sort of mix

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have 20-30k lying around... because that’s what you need for that power level...

Just buy an engine (R, late T5, LPT with an R head) shove it it, and live happily ever after with your 300hp...
Sure anything possible but have to start somewhere and it’s not going to be completed in a few months. Who knows ? I may want to respray the whole car while the engine is out I have nothing but time with that car. I’d like to make it clean and right I have a few friends that build mod motors for lots of different cars so hopefully I have the right people around me! I really appreciate the feedback and will be keeping you guys posted with the progress it’s going to be a very very long road.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I looked at sleeving an engine to reliably hit 3-350 wheel (limit of the stock K24) as StealthyS60R did... the math never added up... If I assume an engine life of even 30k miles (I personally think 50-75k is more realistic) at that power level it would take like half a million miles to equal the capital expenditure of sleeves. The cost of sleeves themselves are $1000, add $1000 to install, $900 for pistons (really no reason not to do them even at a lower power level because volvo charges a fortune for piston rings), $500 for rods (required if you do pistons), $1500 to refresh and port the head, $200 for head studs, $300 for an oil pump, $500 for all the other misc gaskets that are a part of the engine and PCV system. You're looking at 6-8k just for the engine... Not even looking at the supporting modifications required. With 6k you can buy like 5 engines a good IC, sways, and a downpipe, maybe even enough left over for a tune. So those 5 engines will last you between 150k-375k miles... The afternoon it takes to swap an engine isn't factored in here but I assumed DIY labor for everything but the head and block anyway so...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at sleeving an engine to reliably hit 3-350 wheel (limit of the stock K24) as StealthyS60R did... the math never added up... If I assume an engine life of even 30k miles (I personally think 50-75k is more realistic) at that power level it would take like half a million miles to equal the capital expenditure of sleeves. The cost of sleeves themselves are $1000, add $1000 to install, $900 for pistons (really no reason not to do them even at a lower power level because volvo charges a fortune for piston rings), $500 for rods (required if you do pistons), $1500 to refresh and port the head, $200 for head studs, $300 for an oil pump, $500 for all the other misc gaskets that are a part of the engine and PCV system. You're looking at 6-8k just for the engine... Not even looking at the supporting modifications required. With 6k you can buy like 5 engines a good IC, sways, and a downpipe, maybe even enough left over for a tune. So those 5 engines will last you between 150k-375k miles... The afternoon it takes to swap an engine isn't factored in here but I assumed DIY labor for everything but the head and block anyway so...
I have a really close friend that has a CNC machine and builds engines and yes everything I’m doing myself

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looking to build up a bottom end for serious power is a common block thing (honda, chevy, ford... hell, even Toyota), not a Volvo thing. Unless you have mad money to throw away because you're infatuated with Volvo. Hell, man, I love Volvo, but there's no way I'd even sleeve a block, let alone do a full 600hp build. It's just not feasible without wasting money or running a 2.4 block to the ground in 300 miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looking to build up a bottom end for serious power is a common block thing (honda, chevy, ford... hell, even Toyota), not a Volvo thing. Unless you have mad money to throw away because you're infatuated with Volvo. Hell, man, I love Volvo, but there's no way I'd even sleeve a block, let alone do a full 600hp build. It's just not feasible without wasting money or running a 2.4 block to the ground in 300 miles.
Pretty much this. I mean I built my supercharged Miata for 5k (that includes a 6sp and a LSD rear swap).

I mean, aren't there a million other things that you have to upgrade besides the motor to even get 400whp on the R? Let alone 600? Like isn't the AG, driveshaft, rear end, suspension, etc etc etc all susceptible to breaking at 350-400?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty much this. I mean I built my supercharged Miata for 5k (that includes a 6sp and a LSD rear swap).

I mean, aren't there a million other things that you have to upgrade besides the motor to even get 400whp on the R? Let alone 600? Like isn't the AG, driveshaft, rear end, suspension, etc etc etc all susceptible to breaking at 350-400?
Oh yes can’t skip out on the drivetrain I have a guy for axles and and a driveshaft

1 - 15 of 15 Posts