SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys we were driving the vehicle the other day and all of the sudden at 120mph the vehicle just stopped. After looking it over I had one of my ignition coils blow out? has anyone had issues with ignition coils before? and should I upgrade to more advance coils like the plasma directs (are they really worth the 1,000 price tag)? Also for all you wondering what vehicle this on and the ongoing project LOL http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?140455-VOLVO-s40-powerhouse-continued/page6

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yikes! 120 mph? Doesn't ipd make an HD coilpack?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got the plasma coilpacks from VIVA, had them on year and a half and after about 15-20k miles. Never had a problem with them no matter what speed (have the BSR stage 1 governer) also during spark plug changes never noticed any sign or wear. Their considerably better quality than stock.

Cheers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was a little nerve racking to have the vehicle just stop without warning at that speed. Thanks for the responses. I will be looking at my different options.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hey Aaron. i just picked up a set of HD coils from ipd. putting them in this weekend....these are 1/4 if the price of the plasma's.
if you go to ipd youtube page you can see their comparison of HD vs stock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Aaron. i just picked up a set of HD coils from ipd. putting them in this weekend....these are 1/4 if the price of the plasma's.
if you go to ipd youtube page you can see their comparison of HD vs stock.
Ahh sweet. Tell me what you think of them also has anyone else used the ipd ones with success?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have been running the IPD HD coilpaks since the K16 went in, a little over a year, no problems.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm running stock coilpacks with the K16 without any problems. I see no reason to upgrade them..

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Don't Know what type of Warranty You get with all that mucking about : ( Wiring ) ?

I have some stock Units for Cheap . I also have been running the IPD's for a yr. - seem to get a boost .

Mostly the Stock Coil Packs seem to be loosing the output 90 % vs 100 % - Miles over 80,000 / 6 yrs. took mine OE's off around 49-50K ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow, I wonder if I'm due for a coil and spark plug change myself. Probably. But the car runs pretty well. Guess I won't know until I replace these.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
LOL

You could , just keep Driving It and - making sure the Spark Plugs are Gapped at least .003 less then Factory requirements .

Hey , It couldn't be Blooming Freaking Heat - could It ? :D

Internal Corrosion caused by Electron transfer , or Plastic eating Bactria

Well , It is Only the Starting point of - Degradation - hence 90%

Maybe just the Insulation on the Ground Wires , I guess it could be the 1,000,000 sparks
or so by the time Your Volvo gets to 110K :beer:
Also I don't believe Volvo allows Coil Packs to fall under the Warranty System . ( Maybe If under 36,000 Custom Care )
In order words it is a wear item .

I do wonder what Type Coil Packs are run on the Volvo Marine Engine .

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You could , just keep Driving It and - making sure the Spark Plugs are Gapped at least .003 less then Factory requirements .

Hey , It couldn't be Blooming Freaking Heat - could It ? :D

Internal Corrosion caused by Electron transfer , or Plastic eating Bactria

Well , It is Only the Starting point of - Degradation - hence 90%

Maybe just the Insulation on the Ground Wires , I guess it could be the 1,000,000 sparks
or so by the time Your Volvo gets to 110K :beer:
Also I don't believe Volvo allows Coil Packs to fall under the Warranty System . ( Maybe If under 36,000 Custom Care )
In order words it is a wear item .

I do wonder what Type Coil Packs are run on the Volvo Marine Engine .
High voltage insulation (dielectric material) doesn't work that way - it can either hold the electric field or, when it fails, you will see a much larger voltage drop then 10%.

In other words, if the coilpacks aren't broken don't fix them.. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts