SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is blowing oil out around the PCV/filter housing now. I replaced the filter with a Wix and new o-ring (in the proper spot). Seems to be ok with normal driving be blows oil out of somewhere in that are when hard on the throttle, though I havent had it long enough to be sure its only when thrashing it. Based on THIS THREAD I'm guessing I need a new oil filter/pcv trap, however I havent heard any of the normal squealing that everyone mentions.

A little background. About a week after I bought it I checked the oil level (figured a dealer would have changed it before selling, but no) and the oil was pretty dark. I looked in the fill hole and it was dirtier then I would have liked but not horrible. Took it for an oil change and the filter look like it could have been original. It was collapsed and pure sludge. The new oil was getting pretty dark after a week so I dumped a can of seafoam in it and drove about 100 miles then changed oil again, and added a couple bottles of autoRX. Today when changing plugs I pulled the oil fill "funnel" off and looked around inside. Camshaft looked a little dark but not bad. The aluminum casing all around that could see looks clean and shiny and no sludge anywhere.

What does everyone here think? Pretty sure I need to replace the oil trap (think its been done once since it has the soft rubber hose without the accordion thing that breaks). But since it seems to mostly happen under heavy throttle is there anything else I should check?

PS: I'm guessing it doesnt actually use one of these types of PCV anywhere since I never see mention of it except from parts suppliers who all say it fits my car.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Just replace the PCV/filter housing. Sludge can easily be the death of these things. Your leak may be from the black rectangular plastic cap on this assembly. No parts available to replace that seal anyhow. No PVC as pictured, it's all in the housing.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Make sure your oil filter housing cap o-ring is sitting in the second notch from the top, and not the very top notch!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
My car is blowing oil out around the PCV/filter housing now. I replaced the filter with a Wix and new o-ring (in the proper spot). Seems to be ok with normal driving be blows oil out

I also am having this problem not sure why or what causing it but im buying a new oil filter housing. I change oil every 2500 miles with new Filter and just recently i have had oil coming out of the oil housing filter. I removed the filter and checked the O ring numerous times. I have no noise either.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a good engine washing saturday and not getting hard on the throttle I can see a bit of an oil trail coming out of the round cap (where the diaphram is) on the filter housing and oil all over the top of the square shaped cap. New filter housing and gaskets on order from Volvo (along with struts and other parts). Will be glad when I get this thing into the shape it should have already been in. Then I can just drive it and work on my other vehicle LOL.

Oh yeah, I did check a couple times to make sure the o ring is in the right spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having this problem as well... Noticed it the very first night we brought the V50 home! It's definitely leaking from somewhere on the filter housing assembly, but I can't ascertain the exact spot. It's marking its spot in the garage, but doesn't seem to be leaking enough to drop the oil level much. Tired of the mess, though.

Sh*t. Guess I'll be ordering a filter housing, too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After driving with the new filter housing installed there is no more oil blowing everywhere *yay*!. I finally got around to tearing apart the old one and have no idea why it failed.

Seals on the back look fine and didnt look like they were leaking. The oil and junk all over them is from removal and sitting around for a week. I lost the upper one but it looked fine.

Since the oil filter was collapsed and pure sludge when I bought this car I expeded the oil trap to be filled with sludge. But I dont see any at all. There's a little bit of particles and some discoloration but thats it.

Separator ports have a tiny bit of dirt but look fine and aren't plugged.

Diaphragm is in tact with no holes or tears. If I pull it up and cover the port to the top side I can not push it back down, so it holds air/vacuum just fine.

Cover seal is in tact with no nicks or tears.

It's a little bit older part number but comes up as being the right one for my car. Part # 30788494, I replaced it with part # 31338684.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
How hard of a job was it? My wife's 2006 s40 (2.4) just sprang up with a leak... It looks to be the same spot..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The worst part is getting the air box out of the way. Unplug the ECU wiring, cut the cable tie holding the wiring to the box, pull box forward to release from the mounts, then push and wiggle to get it as far to the right as possible. Once the air box is out of the way the rest is easy, a hose clamp and a few screws. Had to do some of it from above and some from below. Before installing the new one, run a screw into the hole for the dip stick clamp because it isnt pre threaded and its much easier to do outside of the engine bay.

I bought mine from myswedeparts.com (Volvo of Dallas) for $112

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Well... Its a cam seal....

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'd like to say that there was a Loose Bolt or Low Tq. allowed this , but really only - Collapsed Filter - Oil Pressure was back feeding ( Maybe ) First I have ever heard of
a Collapsed Oil Cartridge .

Sounds like You nailed it thou !

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... Its a cam seal....
That sucks! I would not want to have to deal with a cam seal on one of these engines.

First I have ever heard of a Collapsed Oil Cartridge .
Wish my cell phone battery hadnt died so I could have gotten a pic of it. Never seen a filter that sludged up. Engine doesnt seem to be sludged so my best guess is the previous owner at least changed the oil once in a while but never changed the filter.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
it is bad then
Yeah, not looking good. I have been reading horror stories of getting the cam pullies back on and aligned. I am going to get a quote from a dealer and an independent. We shall see...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yeah, not looking good. I have been reading horror stories of getting the cam pullies back on and aligned. I am going to get a quote from a dealer and an independent. We shall see...
16-1800 from the Indy. Car goes in next week.

·
Registered
839 Posts
dont want to thread jack, but i dont want to start up another thread :/
anyone, know what else "oil filter housing" could be called? been trying used parts websites, to no avail.
i'm trying to source a used one out of a c30 to save some cash..... my pcv started making noises about a week ago :(

·
Registered
572 Posts
dont want to thread jack, but i dont want to start up another thread :/
anyone, know what else "oil filter housing" could be called? been trying used parts websites, to no avail.
i'm trying to source a used one out of a c30 to save some cash..... my pcv started making noises about a week ago :(
It's covered under an extended warranty. Go to your dealer.

·
Registered
834 Posts
it is often referred to as the "Oil Trap"

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Oil Fume Trap - Positive Crank case Vent or PVC Trap .

Wish my cell phone battery hadnt died so I could have gotten a pic of it. Never seen a filter that sludged up. Engine doesnt seem to be sludged so my best guess is the previous owner at least changed the oil once in a while but never changed the filter.
Someone in a Hurry Jammed it in there and Probably Crushed it during the last Filter Change . Good thing You did this Yourself . :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts