SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, I'm going to be ranting and blowing off major steam!

I bought my 2015 S60 in December of 2015 with 95 miles on it from a dealer in Arizona where I live. About a year later, I was doing one of the oil change service, I was asked when I bought the car and I told them December 2015 which I was then told, something isn't correct, we are showing your "in service" date as March 31, 2015. I didn't think much of it and thought it was a simple mistake that could be fixed and I was told they'll look into it. Never gave it another thought until last week when after an issue I had with the Auto Lock sensor, I brought the car to the Dealer. While waiting for the repair to be done, the service advisor comes to me and tells me, Are you aware that your Warranty is going to end at the end of this month? March 31, 2019. I was like No, I bought the car in December 2015 and I should have another 8 months. He went back and forth and talked to some people and basically told me when I bought the car, the car's Warranty was put in service in March of 2015. I said I wasn't aware of that when I bought the car, that wasn't disclosed to me and when it was brought up previously I was told it would be taken care of. I showed all my paperwork to one of the sales managers which shows NEW car on the sales invoice and I never signed any disclosure that the warranty had already began. Needless to say, I purchased a car whose warranty started 8 month before I bought the car and I was never told when I bought it. The car manager was going to talk to the owner of the dealership and I never heard back. I called left messages and nothing until today, the Friday before the Warranty is about to expire on Sunday. I'm told, we'll give you 200 dollars off of an extended warranty!!! I'm like no, I need to talk to the owner. Waited all day and nothing! I wasn't about to take my chances and get screwed again, I called Steingold Volvo and bought an extended warranty at a reasonable rate, lest my warranty expires and I'm SOL (btw, the price was lower by a lot even with the 200 dollars that my dealer offered me.) So Now I have an extended warranty, and the peace of mind that at least I have some coverage, but never heard back from the Dealer. I contacted Volvo Customer Service and filed a complaint, they gave me a case number and said they'd get back to me. So I was stuck with getting screwed without a warranty and having to buy a warranty after the original warranty expired which would have been even more expensive.

What would you do in my place? I am hoping at least they would reimburse me for part of my warranty or offer me some sort of a service contract or something. I really feel ripped off, but not sure what to do!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think you made the right call going to Volvo corporate. I have heard about dealers putting cars into service to meet sales goals/quotas/etc. and get MFC bonuses for sales volume. I would wait and see what corporate can do for you first before anything

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Warning, I'm going to be ranting and blowing off major steam!

I bought my 2015 S60 in December of 2015 with 95 miles on it from a dealer in Arizona where I live. About a year later, I was doing one of the oil change service, I was asked when I bought the car and I told them December 2015 which I was then told, something isn't correct, we are showing your "in service" date as March 31, 2015. I didn't think much of it and thought it was a simple mistake that could be fixed and I was told they'll look into it. Never gave it another thought until last week when after an issue I had with the Auto Lock sensor, I brought the car to the Dealer. While waiting for the repair to be done, the service advisor comes to me and tells me, Are you aware that your Warranty is going to end at the end of this month? March 31, 2019. I was like No, I bought the car in December 2015 and I should have another 8 months. He went back and forth and talked to some people and basically told me when I bought the car, the car's Warranty was put in service in March of 2015. I said I wasn't aware of that when I bought the car, that wasn't disclosed to me and when it was brought up previously I was told it would be taken care of. I showed all my paperwork to one of the sales managers which shows NEW car on the sales invoice and I never signed any disclosure that the warranty had already began. Needless to say, I purchased a car whose warranty started 8 month before I bought the car and I was never told when I bought it. The car manager was going to talk to the owner of the dealership and I never heard back. I called left messages and nothing until today, the Friday before the Warranty is about to expire on Sunday. I'm told, we'll give you 200 dollars off of an extended warranty!!! I'm like no, I need to talk to the owner. Waited all day and nothing! I wasn't about to take my chances and get screwed again, I called Steingold Volvo and bought an extended warranty at a reasonable rate, lest my warranty expires and I'm SOL (btw, the price was lower by a lot even with the 200 dollars that my dealer offered me.) So Now I have an extended warranty, and the peace of mind that at least I have some coverage, but never heard back from the Dealer. I contacted Volvo Customer Service and filed a complaint, they gave me a case number and said they'd get back to me. So I was stuck with getting screwed without a warranty and having to buy a warranty after the original warranty expired which would have been even more expensive.

What would you do in my place? I am hoping at least they would reimburse me for part of my warranty or offer me some sort of a service contract or something. I really feel ripped off, but not sure what to do!
May I suggest a different route. Cancel the warranty from Steingold, unless you want an extension after December, 2019. Contact Volvo Corporate Executives:

Scott Doering ([email protected])
William Casey ([email protected] and also [email protected])

Change Saluation. Send One Email to Mr. Doering. Send another to BOTH EMAILS for Mr. Casey

Dear Mr. Casey (Doering),

On December X 2015, I purchased a 2015.5 Volvo S60 from X dealer. The vehicle was sold to me as brand new and had only 95 miles on the odometer. Please see attached pdf containing my paperwork at the time of purchase. As you'll notice, this vehicle should have an in service date of December 2015. Somehow a mistake was made and the in service date was listed as March 31, 2015. I was first informed of the March 31, 2015 date when I brought my car in for service. I then approached X individual at X dealer in Arizona. I was promised the situation would be investigated and rectified. I never heard back. I also tried contacting X (anyone else you spoke to), which also failed to produce a resolution.

Therefore, I am reaching out to Volvo Corporate in hopes of achieving a resolution to this ongoing matter.

Regards,

Your Name
Phone Number

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will do just that! I have no idea who these people are, but I got nothing to loose at this point.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Thanks, I will do just that! I have no idea who these people are, but I got nothing to loose at this point.
I've helped tons of people on here (buy backs, lemons, compensation, etc) More than happy to try and help you get things resolved if I can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I’ll call Mike at Steingold on Monday and follow up with the price I paid. I did go to square up site you suggest on a different thread, I will find out what he says, cause now I feel like I’m getting screwed left and right.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Thank you. I’ll call Mike at Steingold on Monday and follow up with the price I paid. I did go to square up site you suggest on a different thread, I will find out what he says, cause now I feel like I’m getting screwed left and right.
Listen, I've gotten screwed over in life myself.. It happens to the best of us. We learn from these mistakes and use them to help others.... I took some of my own bad experiences and have caroused this forum offering guidance. You'll see dozens of threads where I reach out to people..... I'm not batting 100%, because that's impractical, but I'm sure it's 80+..

I've helped guide people to getting full refunds on their vehicles, buy backs and replacements, money back, etc. Hell, I even helped a lawyer on here one time solve her problem. I kid you not! So take a deep breath and let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

1. I'd start by emailing those executives. They'll be there on Monday I am sure. But get the email out filling in the blanks where I left X.

2. Contact Steingold and find out why you paid $2300 for 4 yrs / 48,000 miles when a 2016 10yr / 100K is only $2000ish and 8 yr / 120K is only 220ish. Something amiss.

3. Suppose we get #1 straightened out and the warranty ends December 2019. Do you still wish to keep an extended warranty? If so then fixing #2 is a good idea. If you don't want a warranty (your choice) can always cancel if #1 gets resolved.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Listen, I've gotten screwed over in life myself.. It happens to the best of us. We learn from these mistakes and use them to help others.... I took some of my own bad experiences and have caroused this forum offering guidance. You'll see dozens of threads where I reach out to people..... I'm not batting 100%, because that's impractical, but I'm sure it's 80+..

I've helped guide people to getting full refunds on their vehicles, buy backs and replacements, money back, etc. Hell, I even helped a lawyer on here one time solve her problem. I kid you not! So take a deep breath and let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

1. I'd start by emailing those executives. They'll be there on Monday I am sure. But get the email out filling in the blanks where I left X.

2. Contact Steingold and find out why you paid $2300 for 4 yrs / 48,000 miles when a 2016 10yr / 100K is only $2000ish and 8 yr / 120K is only 220ish. Something amiss.

3. Suppose we get #1 straightened out and the warranty ends December 2019. Do you still wish to keep an extended warranty? If so then fixing #2 is a good idea. If you don't want a warranty (your choice) can always cancel if #1 gets resolved.
Simply awesome to see folks taking an extra step helping people on the forum. It's the main reason why I love being here on Swedespeed. Keep it up!

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Simply awesome to see folks taking an extra step helping people on the forum. It's the main reason why I love being here on Swedespeed. Keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words. Beats the other half that accuse me of being Anti Volvo in not so kind words!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Beats the other half that accuse me of being Anti Volvo in not so kind words!
I appreciate the replies that provided guidance when I felt like I was at a dead end short of filing a lawsuit which wouldn’t be feasible.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Because you are comparing apples to oranges. Those aren't 10yr/100k or 8yr/120k warranties. They are 4-6 year 50-70k mile extended warranties that take you to those numbers. And those are the prices you pay if the car has less than 1,000 miles. Those prices you see on steingold's site are for extended warranties on NEW cars. Please stop using them to compare to prices for warranties on cars that are out of warranty or about to go out of warranty. His price is in line with what you would expect to pay for a 4yr/48k warranty.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I appreciate the replies that provided guidance when I felt like I was at a dead end short of filing a lawsuit which wouldn’t be feasible.
Did you ever hear back from Corporate?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nothing yet!

and I think Meade18 is correct, the prices on that website are for cars under 1000. I'm happy with the price I got for the warranty, so I'm not going to challenge that. I will challenge though the Dealer that sold me my car that I thought was "new" but apparently the "in service" date was 8 months earlier.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I feel your pain. There are a lot of slimy dealers out there, and the market has been very strong for several years so they're fat and happy. When I was shopping for a new car late last year, I encountered cars with 4000 and 5000 miles being sold as 'brand new' at dealerships. Turns out there's a state law permitting dealers to call cars as 'new' with anything up to 7000 miles on them. Live and learn.

If you can quantify your loss, small claims court may be an option. Chances are the judge has been screwed by a car dealer too.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Nothing yet!

and I think Meade18 is correct, the prices on that website are for cars under 1000. I'm happy with the price I got for the warranty, so I'm not going to challenge that. I will challenge though the Dealer that sold me my car that I thought was "new" but apparently the "in service" date was 8 months earlier.
Did you ever follow my advice and email the executives? Have you gotten a response from corporate?

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the warranty period on new vehicles is from build date, not in service date. At least that's how it was when I sold cars and with the vehicles I've purchased over time. I bought my 15.5 V60 RD with 41,000 miles from an exotic used car dealer and am told from Volvo that it's out of warranty because of it's age, even though the car still has 19,000 miles ( at that time ) before it's mechanically out of warranty.

I've always understood it to be that the warranty period is from build date because if a vehicle doesn't sell off a lot for a few months and sits there and X company, Volvo in this case, releases a service bulletin/recalls for said vehicle, the dealership can take care of the recalls while it's still sitting on the lot as new. This isn't the only reason but this is one of the reasons I've always understood. If it was warrantied starting on purchase date of, lets as you in this case, the dealership would be liable for any recall costs while it's under their ownership prior to yours.

I hope you can get this taken care of and move forward from it though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi MyVolvoS60,

I have reached out to Volvo Customer service and I have a case open. I want to wait and see how this will be resolved before jumping and e-mailing the executives. If things don't get resolved to my satisfaction, then I'll reach out to the Executives as a form of escalation. I'm taking it one step at a time. I really appreciate your advise and your guidance. I know you've received some flak from other well intentioned members, but I appreciate everyone's assistance as each contributed in some way to help me with my situation. I will keep you updated as soon as I hear something back. They did say it could take up to 5 business days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Jason,

I've never heard of a warranty starting on the build date. As far as I'm concerned the "in Service" date is when the warranty should start and in my case the In Service date is supposed to be December 19, 2015, not March 31 2015 when the dealer put it in service. I should also have been advised or sign some document that the warranty have began, which neither occurred. So someone at the Dealer or Volvo has some explaining to do. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
The warranty is definitely supposed to begin at the sold/in-service date, not build date. Just look at any Carfax report - the remaining warranty is based off the "sold" event on the report, not when it was produced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Jason,

I've never heard of a warranty starting on the build date. As far as I'm concerned the "in Service" date is when the warranty should start and in my case the In Service date is supposed to be December 19, 2015, not March 31 2015 when the dealer put it in service. I should also have been advised or sign some document that the warranty have began, which neither occurred. So someone at the Dealer or Volvo has some explaining to do. Thanks for the reply.
When I sold Honda's, when purchasing my Subaru, Jeep, Mazda and Volvo, they've all started at build date vs 'in service date'. It's, unfortunately, listed in the fine print of the warranty disclosure or purchase agreement paperwork signed by the purchaser when taking ownership. Many car companies set the warranty wheels in motion on the date when a vehicle is first marked as being put 'in service' by the dealer.

Again, I wish you the best!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts