SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to trouble shoot this problem for some time now. Car has had this problem ever since I bought it. The blower motor was seized so I just got my order from IPD with a new power stage unit and blower motor. Installed those parts and it's still on. Now I also picked up a used climate control unit (above the stereo) and swapped that out with the fan still staying on.

I guess to sum up the issue:
-blower motor stays on regardless if the key is on or off
-always the same constant speed
-no matter what speed the fan is on (auto/off/speed) always on
-no other buttons on the climate controls make a difference
-took the fuse out under the hood and the fan is still on
-unplugged the power stage unit and the fan is still on
-unplugged the power stage unit and the fan is still on

What parts I've swapped out or replaced
-new power stage unit
-new blower motor
-swapped out climate control unit for another used one

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Did you swap out the resistor? It screws into the vent system about 6 inches from the blower motor.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Did you swap out the resistor? It screws into the vent system about 6 inches from the blower motor.
still, should be able to turn the fan off by taking the key out. something is seriously fubar. any known aftermarket wiring done, like stereo, lights, non OEM alarms and such?

Id say your looking at some very interesting miswiring. either that, or the ignitionlock, or whatever key positions affect, are ready for swapping. isnt rhere a master power relay? the fan should come on with the key in position 1, meaning the key controls some kind of power relay, for stereo and ventilation. sure you pulled the right fuse? thats what really bakes me, it means someone rewired the fan powersupply, or there has been a short, a fluid leak or something along the powersupply wiring for the fan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Resistor is brand new.

Someone has tampered with the wiring before in this car. Dealership work too and it's definitely a messy job. The car had a stock Volvo keyless entry wired in under the dash, but that would have been when the car was fairly new. It's been basically a one owner/family car. First a guy bought it and then gave it to his parents after and I bought the car from the dealership that sold it new. All the wiring on the passenger side looks to be untouched. And there is no signs of any water damage.

I've been looking at the wiring for the keyless entry and did unplug the unit without any difference. I've also unplugged the ignition switch too. Fan is still on.

I even unplugged all the relays under the dash on the driver's side with no effects either. I've been trying to trace that heavy gauge blue wire which comes from the resistor/power stage unit. I tried to trace the two heavy gauge red wires and one heavy gauge black wire, but they seem to go directly up to the top of the dash and I'm unsure after that. I was wondering if something runs underneath of the top dash cover. I've unplugged every connection possible on the passenger side (not including anything airbag related) and it's still on.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
well, logically the black should be ground, the two red should be 12v (one for step 1-3 and one for step 4), and the blue should just be a signal from the key position thingamabob, telling the fan its okay to turn on. grab a voltmeter, see what you can learn.

first see if the reds are infact 12v, and the ground is infact ground. then, turn the key to pos 1, see if the blue is signal as described. my money is on a signal fault somewhere, rhat is gets the startsignal (just plain 12v, like the remote connection on a power stage amplifier) from somewhere else.

but, Im still fuzzy on the fact that the fan blows even when you pull the fuse. you pulled both, right? one for step 1-3, and one for step 4?

edit: all this is assuming you have the four step fan switch, and not the stepless, ofcourse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually just figured it out. 2 different plugs were mixed up so I switch it back and everything is fine now. I didn't mix them up myself because I bought the car with a seized fan, so who ever looked at the car before must of mixed something up. Everything works perfect now.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
hmm... might be differences between the european and american cars, but Ive never seen those plugs in my wire harness, and I am pretty familiar with it.

where do the other one go? its a short logical leap to think one comes unswitched from te battery, atleast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a hard time tracking the wiring... The one side goes above to the top side of the dash and I was about to find the one heavy gauge wires actually splits off into to small gauge wires.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
well, logically the black should be ground, the two red should be 12v (one for step 1-3 and one for step 4), and the blue should just be a signal from the key position thingamabob, telling the fan its okay to turn on. grab a voltmeter, see what you can learn.

first see if the reds are infact 12v, and the ground is infact ground. then, turn the key to pos 1, see if the blue is signal as described. my money is on a signal fault somewhere, rhat is gets the startsignal (just plain 12v, like the remote connection on a power stage amplifier) from somewhere else.

but, Im still fuzzy on the fact that the fan blows even when you pull the fuse. you pulled both, right? one for step 1-3, and one for step 4?

edit: all this is assuming you have the four step fan switch, and not the stepless, ofcourse.
This all works quite a bit differently than what you are supposing.
Here's a link to the post where we got more deeply into it:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/154731-blower-motor-staying-on/

The VS post includes wiring diagrams, too. Hope it helps! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts