SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me preface this post by saying that I cannot reveal who did my ECM upgrade but that they are a very reputable firm in the AUDI/VW space. They were looking to get into the Volvo space with an agreement with a Volvo aftermarket supplier. My car was a test bed.

That being said, when I first got the car back the power was incredible. More so than a "standard" ECM upgrade from Volvo companies. I noticed that I could hear my blow-off valve between shifts which leads me to my first question. How many of you can hear yours? I think it's the blow-off valve I'm hearing.

Fast forward a few months, through the power robbing summer months in Atlanta, a drive acoss the country to where we are today. The car has much less power than before. No CEL are being thrown however when I took it into the local dealer for a different problem they gave me the report that clearly shows there are some comm failures with the ECM. One permanent and one intermittent.

I have placed an order for a new TCV thinking that some of my power issues might be related to that. It's a fifty dollar gamble.

Some of you are thinking why don't you go back to where you got the upgrade from to begin with. Well, it's a little complicated as the Volvo vendor that they were working with, which is how I came into the picture, is no longer pursuing this option with the AUDI/VW firm. I've been offered an ECM upgrade from the Volvo vendor but I'd like to try and understand what is going on with the car and more importantly why.

I know this is somewhat the blind leading the blind in a communication medium as this but it's the best we have currently.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (dgloveR)

Wow - that is pretty cryptic.

I say pull fuses #6 & 23 and continue to roll the dice! Worst case scenario, there is no change - best case, ECU reset & problem solved...
Good luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (bschurr)

I agree but I can't elaborate on who it is. In regards to the comm codes, I have those at home if anyone can tell me what they mean. JimLill, JRL, StaggRLee?

Can anyone hear their blow-off valve under WOT between shifts?

I've tried resetting the ECU to no avail.
Must drink

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

I'd be happy to see if I can identify the Diagnostic Trouble codes. Drop them in a PM or follow up post.

First thing I would check is to get a boost guage on there and take a test drive. Would help if you knew what it was or should be peaking at with your tune.

If it's less than say 17 or so with an ECM tune you could have a boost leak. If it's back to stock, is it possible that a dealer overwrote your flash and didn't note it on a work order?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (steamboatsig)

Quote, originally posted by steamboatsig »
I didn't think the S60R had a "blow off" valve.
They don't

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (JRL)

What I can hear is the bypass valve. I hear it when shifting but only when driving hard and if the trottle is fully released, also if the trottle is lifted rapidly from full load even if I do not shift or touch the clutch. I could hear it with a stock an a modified ECU.

This valve does not vent out, (therefore it is not a Blow Off Valve) it only re-routes pressure back to the turbo's intake side when the trottle plate is closed and there is still pressure after the turbo.

Modified by Jayam at 7:58 PM 5-3-2006

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (Jayam)

Thanks Jayam for the correction. Figures I would get the response from JRL, indirectly of course, that I did.

ECM has not been overwritten according to the local dealer I took it to; in Bellevue by the way. They wanted to but I told them no because I wanted to do some more troubleshooting.

I've been wanting to purchase a boost gauge so I guess I will. StaggRLee, how about a night of "tinkering" with it and I'll buy the beer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
don't take this the wrong way, but is it possible that 2 things have happened...
1- you have possibly become use to your previously newfound power
2- the heat and humidity here in atlanta just got cranked up in the past few weeks. we don't have as much power when its as warm as it has been especcially today.

it sure would have been niced if you guys datalogged the previous flash, so you could datalog it currently to see if anything has become outta wack.

oh and PS-
i can hear the stock BPV thru an aftermarket cone filter (blitz) on my R

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dgloveR »
StaggRLee, how about a night of "tinkering" with it and I'll buy the beer.

How about meeting up at my friends shop in Auburn if he's doing any Saturday hours this week? He's factory trained/certified has VADIS, a VCT2000 and a boost gauge. And his hourly rate is reasonable. He can probably rule out the usual suspects that the dealer might have missed in short order.

I was planning on running down to Auburn this weekend for some Cracktane cocktail anyway.

If you're up for it I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: (yerrow)

Quote, originally posted by yerrow »

2- the heat and humidity here in atlanta just got cranked up in the past few weeks. we don't have as much power when its as warm as it has been especcially today.

He's a former Hotlanta resident. We've had 50-60's around here recently.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Blow-off valve, loss of power, ECM comm failures (StaggRLee)

I'd be up for that. This Saturday or the following will work for me.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

He's up for Saturday at 10am if you are. Told him I'd give him a call to confirm on Friday. Let me know and I'll PM you the shop address.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts