SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of selecting a 2018 or 2019 S90. We live in Florida so we are trying to avoid the black leather interior or "charcoal" as Volvo calls it for heat build-up reasons. I can't say we care much for the amber color and that leaves the off white which Volvo calls "Blond" or the brown interior. We like the way the Blond looks but are worried about how difficult it is to maintain and keep clean. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this topic? Just how difficult is the Blond interior leather to keep it looking good?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We are in the process of selecting a 2018 or 2019 S90. We live in Florida so we are trying to avoid the black leather interior or "charcoal" as Volvo calls it for heat build-up reasons. I can't say we care much for the amber color and that leaves the off white which Volvo calls "Blond" or the brown interior. We like the way the Blond looks but are worried about how difficult it is to maintain and keep clean. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this topic? Just how difficult is the Blond interior leather to keep it looking good?
All of our Volvo’s have had lighter interiors. Feels lighter, brighter and more pleasant than dark interiors. We clean seats 4x a year with leather cleaner and conditioners (Griots Garage) and they look like day one. We’ve never regretted the light interior. We tint windows which helps the interior to keep cooler on hot days as well. You won’t regret the choice!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Deff get 2019 model a lot of improvements from 2018. I have 2018 and 2019 deff better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I clean my Blond interior every few months. I do think twice when I wear dark color jeans but it comes off fairly easy.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I have a MY16 XC90 Blonde | Blonde. I clean mine every 1-2 months with a damp cloth - not because it is bad or noticeable, but because I want it to always be clean. I would buy the Blonde seats again as I like the airy feeling.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We ordered the charcoal in our XC40 because a friend of ours has had the blonde and amber in her XC90s and each has been stained by jeans. If you clean them often enough, I’m sure they could be fine. I have heard people putting towels down when they wear dark jeans, but if I can’t sit on the seats without a towel, I’ll just get a different color interior.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I would get the color that one wants. No matter what color, the leather needs to be cleaned periodically. Blonde and Amber make dye transfer more noticeable. Charcoal tends to hide it even though it is there. FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haven't had a real issue with blond. Thought it'd be a pain in the tukus, but it's been perfectly easy to clean. Maybe because it shows stains better, so it forces me to stay on top of keeping it nice and wiped down. Love what it does for the interior space.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have the blonde nappa leather Ocean Race interior. Have zero problems keeping it clean. Yes, dark jeans do transfer dye a little, but a quick wipe with a damp cloth removes that entirely.

I also use Chemical Guys leather cleaner/conditioner as part of my regular cleaning process.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I have light interior in my 2012 XC60 and love it. I can go to my horse barn every morning, in California, go home, gently wipe the upholstery down and be ready to take friends to dinner in what looks like a new car. My only complaint about the light interior in that the blue dye in jeans rubs off on the driver's seat every time I get in and out. I had it professionally cleaned one time and put a light towel on the seat when I wear jeans. I will definitely have light interior in our next Volvo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blonde is OK but you will notice dye transfer from your pants. If you don't clean it frequently it can really get worked in and becomes difficult or impossible to fully remove. I'm on a roughly 2X a year schedule cleaning the leather and there are some dye spots I can't get out of the seat. I'm not the type that really cares all that much but if you are you may want to plan on 4x a year cleaning and maybe even more frequently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've only had my Blond '18 for a few months and have not noticed any major issues. I have a Momentum so no leather and the vinyl seems to clean pretty well in the short time we've had it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
We've always had the blond interiors and the bright and airy feeling in the car is worth the small effort to keep it clean. Volvos with blond interiors come with a package of wipes you can use periodically to clean the seats. Once a year I use the Volvo leather upholstery cleaner and protectant kit on our cars for a deep clean, though I'm sure there are aftermarket solutions available that work just as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My wife's first XC60 had blonde interior. Best results using Woolite mixed 4 to 1 with water.

Reactions: Lfdcarp

·
Registered
34 Posts
2017 XC90 White w blonde interior

i agree w the other responses we love the blonde interior and don't care for the amber. I use Maguires leather conditioner, not cleaner, about 3-4 times/year and any marks from Jeans or other things always come right off. Be cautious of cleaners as they are a lot more abrasive than the conditioner and the conditioner does the job.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm less concerned about the seats (and door panels and console) than I am about the blonde steering wheel. My hands tend to be sweaty. So I purchased some fabric driving gloves since I'm concerned about hand oils being transferred, not fabric color. Fine for longer trips but annoying if I'm just going a few miles. What's y'all's experience with the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I'm less concerned about the seats (and door panels and console) than I am about the blonde steering wheel. My hands tend to be sweaty. So I purchased some fabric driving gloves since I'm concerned about hand oils being transferred, not fabric color. Fine for longer trips but annoying if I'm just going a few miles. What's y'all's experience with the steering wheel?
Clean hands = clean steering wheel. Hand lotion, a little sweaty palms does not create a significant issue. Just like the seats, I wipe off the steering wheel with a damp cloth every few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the blonde interior in my 2012 XC60. I'm an Uber driver and have no issues with cleanliness. Clorox wipes every week or so to get rid of the obvious dirt (although even then you can only tell a difference after it's clean) and I use Armor all leather cleaner/conditioner once every 2 months. Still holding up great after 6,900 rides.

·
Registered
78 Posts
go with the blonde- its a great color. I live in Bradenton, and no maintenance issues. You just need to add some window tint.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
All of our Volvo’s have had lighter interiors. Feels lighter, brighter and more pleasant than dark interiors. We clean seats 4x a year with leather cleaner and conditioners (Griots Garage) and they look like day one. We’ve never regretted the light interior. We tint windows which helps the interior to keep cooler on hot days as well. You won’t regret the choice!
Well, taste is ultimately personal. I strongly prefer dark interiors, not just from a staining concern, but also from an aesthetic one.

Sadly, that's not what the original buyer of my CPO S90 thought, so here I am with a blonde interior that I really don't like. I purchased some kind of combination protection coating/insurance plan for the interior in which they apply the coating and then guarantee the interior against any stains or rips. I forget the name of it, but it was surprisingly affordable. I have no idea how well the coating will work, but I'll take the insurance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts