SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to shim my block to strengthen it up before I start adding more boost. I'm debating between doing it all my self of having someone else rip the head off for me to shim it. I'm a college student and commute to school so time isn't exactly on my side. I figure it would take between 20 -30 hours for tear down, shimming, and re assembly for me. That's a whole weekend of time I usually don't have. So if the price would be reasonable I'd probably be better off with someone else saving me the hassle. Anyone know of any body near central PA that does block shimming?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure Dougy would do it. He's all caught up, and is probably feeling very generous with his time right now, since he must be bored out of his mind.
Didn't know Dougy was in PA but yeah he'd be a great candidate to do it I'll have to pm him.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main issue is the teardown and reassembly time being a college student the only time I have is on weekends and usually then I'm working or doing homework. The shimming process is a 30 min job. That's why I was looking to maybe having someone else do it. I can easily handle the job it's just time. Maybe I'll wait till winter break and tear into it. I'm sure Dougy would be more then happy to help with some tips to speed the process up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I may have overestimated the time to do this too looks like job can be done in a single day not too bad

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you're not putting a monster turbo on it you don't need block shims. Also don't you have a 2.4? Those don't have issues with block cracking at all, only the 2.5s. Your cylinder walls are a full .020 thicker than the 2.5, and those don't even crack with a K24 and upgraded tune. Only when you go beyond the K24 as far as I know.

You should create a signature with your car's specs in it, it'd be really helpful for those of us offering advice. I had to dig through your post history to find out what car you have and I'm still not sure I'm correct. 02 2.4t with a 16T turbo on it?

Basically just trying to save you some wasted money and time. If you're just adding boost to a stock 2.4 or a 16T on a 2.4 you'll be fine. Even with a 19T or K24 you'll be fine, only if you go beyond that will you have risk. Spend your time and money on intake and exhaust parts.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you're not putting a monster turbo on it you don't need block shims. Also don't you have a 2.4? Those don't have issues with block cracking at all, only the 2.5s. Your cylinder walls are a full .020 thicker than the 2.5, and those don't even crack with a K24 and upgraded tune. Only when you go beyond the K24 as far as I know.

You should create a signature with your car's specs in it, it'd be really helpful for those of us offering advice. I had to dig through your post history to find out what car you have and I'm still not sure I'm correct. 02 2.4t with a 16T turbo on it?

Basically just trying to save you some wasted money and time. If you're just adding boost to a stock 2.4 or a 16T on a 2.4 you'll be fine. Even with a 19T or K24 you'll be fine, only if you go beyond that will you have risk. Spend your time and money on intake and exhaust parts.
Nope I have the 07 2.5t and I'm going with a 19t. It's more of a insurance thing really. Just updated my signature.
I'm going to be doing a lot of work on this car next spring so Id like the added insurance of the shims
-19t turbo
-Full exhaust and downpipe
-550cc injectors
-water/meth injection
-snabb intake elbow
-modified CAI
-JZW tune
The list of the top of my head what my plans are probably a few things here and there I missed but my goal is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300whp give or take some. Id hate to do all that work then crack a block.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Ah, okay no problem. And thanks for adding the sig! hehe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts