SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has a block heater in their Volvo? I am considering one mainly to warm up the cabin quicker and clear frost/snow on the windows during the cold months. I do not like remote starting the engine for long periods of time, and 5 min is not enough to warm up the cabin.

On my previous A4, I installed a cabin heater that I would plug on a timer (110V) and that would get the inside quite warm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Installed the Volvo unit just the other day. Not to bad to install, followed the instructions provided by Volvo. Scariest part was cutting the hole in the bumper (I chose to use a dremel instead of the suggested knife), and if your quick with a plug (for the plastic/hard line) and clamp off the rubber coolant hose you can get away with only losing about half a litre of coolant and you don't need to completely remove the wheel well liner just take the screws out and pull it back.

Well worth the money in my eyes, doesn't idle high when started in -10C and has heat almost instantly in the cabin (starts off with a little warmth at least), and with the Volvo unit and bumper mounted plug, no stupid cord dangling out of the hood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In scandinavia those heaters are quite common. Block heater is a bit wrong term for these heaters, old days there we where block heaters that was screwed in to the block. Now you have actually 3 to 4 options. First one is coolant heater, just heats the coolant. Second is oil pan heater, heats oil. Quite new solution is a coolant heater with a pump so heated coolant runs throw system, much much faster than regular coolant heater. Assembly is the same way. And the last and most expensive is fuel powered heater webasto/eberspächer, heats coolant with gasoline and pumps it throw system and also heats cabin as well.
For example those "normal" coolant heaters costs about 200 euros with plug for cabin heater also. Coolant heater with pump about the same, oil pan heater also at the same price range. Webasto / eberspächer about 1200e including assembly. The heater unit volvo sells is provided by calix or defa, witch heats coolant or oil pan (heater type depends on engine type). If you have electricity near your car, I would suggest coolant heater with pump. In minus 10 degrees celcius, after using it about an hour, coolant is 40 degree celcius and after starting car immediately blows warm air. If you are interested in different options give your engine type and I can find some more information for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freed, thanks for the info, very informative. There is a kit Volvo makes for my car, so I will likely use that. I believe it is an inline coolant heater. I also saw an option to run power inside the cabin, possibly for cabin heater, but could not find info on the cabin heater itself. If the coolant warms up enough that I get instant heat, that would probably be ok. I can just remote start the car 2-3 min before I jump in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Freed, thanks for the info, very informative. There is a kit Volvo makes for my car, so I will likely use that. I believe it is an inline coolant heater. I also saw an option to run power inside the cabin, possibly for cabin heater, but could not find info on the cabin heater itself. If the coolant warms up enough that I get instant heat, that would probably be ok. I can just remote start the car 2-3 min before I jump in.
Hi, the heater provided by volvo is made by calix or defa, cannot remember. But whole system with cabin heater would be a bit under 300 euros from German ebay.
Here is a Volvo provided heater, but its made by calix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iAEKoZzds
Same set can be bought much cheaper, also provided with assembly instructions. And it can be expanded with plug for cabin heater and battery charger.
Volvo takes (at least in Finland) about 200 euros more from the normal kit than you can get direct from supplier. Give your engine type and I can find the right parts and instructions for you :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2015 V60 r-design with 3.0L turbo. I believe the engine designation is B6304T4.
Okay, so with that engine type Volvo / Calix provides only coolant heater. Its Calix RE485.
http://www.calix.se/en/products/search-products-cars?action=vehicleDetails&vehicleId=-1531296952
There is the manufacturer list with all parts that can be included. So you need Calix re485 and also and assembly kit with or without plug for cabin heater. Prices in finland: re485: 83,90euros, assembly kit 54,90e and if needed cabin heater expansion 69,90e. With product numbers from Calix you can find these from ebay.
With Defa: 411702 69,90e + assembly kit 54,90e + cabin heater kit 83,90e.
http://www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/find_your_engine_heater/
Choose T6 for engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your time. Seems these may be a little more difficult to get in north america. I'll take a look. I get 15% off at my dealer so price isn't so bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for your time. Seems these may be a little more difficult to get in north america. I'll take a look. I get 15% off at my dealer so price isn't so bad.
Okay, no problem. In scandinavia almost all diesel volvos are factory fitted with fuel heater without a charge. Thats because when consumption is now days main criteria, engine doesnt give enough heat so while driving in minus 20 degree celcius heat has to come somewhere.. If car isnt fitted with that there is electrical extra heater, usually in smaller diesel engines.
There is also a Calix coolant heater (same as volvo) that can be also fitted with pump. I would ask that from dealer, much more efficient system. Heated coolant will flow around and heater will blow almost hot air immediately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts