SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a block heater, or anything that warms up the engine/oil.<p>The winter in Calgary, Alberta, Canada can get Xtremely cold! up to -40C (dunno what that is in F, but as cold as montana..)<p>Whats the difference between a block heater and just oil heater? Does block heater heat up the engine block (dumb questions! lol)?<p>which one is better? I can get a oil heater that heats through the oil stick on ebay for like $10.. but I don't want something that might damage the engine or doesn't work.<p>and I don't want to get an OEM one cuz they're trying to make me go bankrupt

·
Registered
300 Posts
Re: block heater - what should I buy? What about oil heater? (xtremepsionic)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I want to buy a block heater, or anything that warms up the engine/oil.<p>The winter in Calgary, Alberta, Canada can get Xtremely cold! up to -40C (dunno what that is in F, but as cold as montana..)<p>Whats the difference between a block heater and just oil heater? Does block heater heat up the engine block (dumb questions! lol)?<p>which one is better? I can get a oil heater that heats through the oil stick on ebay for like $10.. but I don't want something that might damage the engine or doesn't work.<p>and I don't want to get an OEM one cuz they're trying to make me go bankrupt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Um, actually, -40C is -40F. FYI. that's the point on the curve where both intersect.<p>The dipstick heater will just heat the oil in the pan. The block heater will keep the coolant warm, so the engine will be more evenly heated, especially the high friction parts.<p>I'd recommend you switch to a good synthetic oil with good low temp pour & pump properties to make sure the oil circulates when you start the car. The dino oil might turn solid (freeze) or turn into goo (bad). Synthetics are best in that environment. With a good 0-30 synthetic, you might not even need a block heater because the oil remains very pumpable that cold.<p>Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts