SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Potentially with a 2007 R, but don't know enough about the electronics to know if everything for the BLIS is self contained in the mirror or if it needs an outside connection.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm pretty sure BLIS isn't ultrasonic it's camera based. Therefore there must be a module that processes the camera signals. The question would be whether any software or hardware is outside the mirror assembly. If I were Volvo I'd shove all of the processing in the CEM or another module and just have the cameras be sensors.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure BLIS isn't ultrasonic it's camera based. Therefore there must be a module that processes the camera signals. The question would be whether any software or hardware is outside the mirror assembly. If I were Volvo I'd shove all of the processing in the CEM or another module and just have the cameras be sensors.
I'm about 90% sure it's all in the mirror itself. Being it's accessory/option it must be able to be readily installed or removed. The indicators are on the inner A pillars. It makes no sense to have anything but power an ground inside the caR.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I'm about 90% sure it's all in the mirror itself. Being it's accessory/option it must be able to be readily installed or removed. The indicators are on the inner A pillars. It makes no sense to have anything but power an ground inside the caR.
The phone module was an option and it required a CAN change and a different rear view mirror, center console lid, and headrest. Removing it requires a CAN update as well. I'd assume BLIS at least requires a CAN change.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The phone module was an option and it required a CAN change and a different rear view mirror, center console lid, and headrest. Removing it requires a CAN update as well. I'd assume BLIS at least requires a CAN change.
Would the dealer be able to confirm?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Would the dealer be able to confirm?
Can a dealer confirm anything?

The three local dealers here could barely confirm my VR was a VR..

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what scares me... especially with a purchase like this if I was to go through with it.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
meh... Not a fan of BLIS, Volvo or otherwise. I watch them in action on other cars on the interstate and notice too frequently their BLIS indicator doesn't turn on until my front bumper is even with their rear bumper as I'm passing them. Which is, of course, too late to avoid collision because if they were to attempt a lane change or turn, they would strike me.

Personally, I prefer correctly aimed wide angle mirrors. Not only can you see the traffic in your "blind" spots, there's no electronic gizmo to fail or not work because of a dirty camera lens.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
meh... Not a fan of BLIS, Volvo or otherwise. I watch them in action on other cars on the interstate and notice too frequently their BLIS indicator doesn't turn on until my front bumper is even with their rear bumper as I'm passing them. Which is, of course, too late to avoid collision because if they were to attempt a lane change or turn, they would strike me.

Personally, I prefer correctly aimed wide angle mirrors. Not only can you see the traffic in your "blind" spots, there's no electronic gizmo to fail or not work because of a dirty camera lens.
That said, I've noticed they have saved me a few times from getting hit. I've seen idiots on the phone, not paying attention, or just wanting to get over NOW who only stop because the BLIS (or equivalent) blinks like crazy and probably makes an obnoxious noise (not sure if the first gen Volvo ones do this, but they should). It's a good save for the merge now, signal later driver.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
With some OEM's, is BLIS (or whatever their acronym is) inactivate if the turn signal is activated?

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for 660$ a side for just the hardware ill stick with turning my head real quick to check my blind spot..
It's not just for me ;)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
An R from Europe posted on one the facebook Volvo pages was running BLIS! :eek: On a side note, I've also seen a European red VR with a factory installed engine block heater...wish Volvo had them as an option in Canada :facepalm:

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump for anyone who has seen this, still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I think you could try getting some P2 XC90 BLIS mirrors from a JY for cheap and try? It'll at least give you an idea what the internals are...

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you could try getting some P2 XC90 BLIS mirrors from a JY for cheap and try? It'll at least give you an idea what the internals are...
I may just do that, I'll have to check the wiring. If it's just power we could have a winner!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts