SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last car, a 2014 Jeep GC Summit Edition had BLIS. If I signaled a lane change while BLIS was active and a vehicle in the blind spot, I got a warning tone in addition to the indicator in the side mirror.

My 2018 XC60 only indicates a vehicle in my blind spot with the indicator light (no warning tone).

Wondering if anyone knows if there is a warning tone option that I cannot seem to find.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My last car, a 2014 Jeep GC Summit Edition had BLIS. If I signaled a lane change while BLIS was active and a vehicle in the blind spot, I got a warning tone in addition to the indicator in the side mirror.

My 2018 XC60 only indicates a vehicle in my blind spot with the indicator light (no warning tone).

Wondering if anyone knows if there is a warning tone option that I cannot seem to find.

Thanks!

No, only the light on the mirror that flashes but rapidly when another vehicle is in one’s blind spot or is approaching rapidly from behind.

A driver configurable audible alarm would be useful as long as it is defaulted as off. I would like something visible in HUD for those vehicles that are HUD equipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you put your signal on and start to change lanes when there's a vehicle in the blind spot, it makes lots of noise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you put your signal on and start to change lanes when there's a vehicle in the blind spot, it makes lots of noise.
Ha. Ha. That’s true.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine doesn’t make any noise if I start to move over which surprised me. Other vehicles I’ve driven do issue an audible warning.

Have had two very close calls. While I’m sure the lights were on and flashing they blend nicely with the fusion red paint job. Have been considering I should paint the inside of the mirror cap black to give it some contrast.

For those whose vehicle does make a sound, what is the build? Mine is an Inscription T8. Has the latest updates so far as I know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Per the manual and the Service Manager at my dealer, there is no warning sound associated with BLIS. The SM has 10 years with Volvo and says that is by design as the engineers want to provide safety warning systems while also limiting the amount of "distractions" the driver has to deal with so he can concentrate on driving. I don't know whether that's accurate or not, but a BLIS warning tone when signaling a lane change would be a welcome distraction!

I've had a BLIS in my last 2 cars, Genesis G80 and E350 both of which had warning tones that helped me avoid accidents several times. I've only put about 2,000 miles on my S60 and have had a couple of close calls because I'm not used to looking for the warning light in the mirror. I also agree that it would be helpful to put the warning in the HUD. The G80 had warning icons in the HUD and it was easier to keep track of cars in the "zone" than with the mirror signal. There are so many great safety features on this car so obviously the engineers made a conscious decision to omit any sound. To me, the more the merrier and let the driver figure out which he wants to disable.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
There is no audible warning... Merely a light.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It was called a witty comment. He meant the sound of hitting the car next to you.
Bingo! The thing making the noise is the car you’re trying to cut off, lol. 😂🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
My previous Audi had a alert noise and it was the first thing I turned off. I don't want to sound condescending but what did we do before these features?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bummer. Had a feeling that was the answer. Love the color of my car but those warning lights are all but invisible for me.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Bummer. Had a feeling that was the answer. Love the color of my car but those warning lights are all but invisible for me.

Ive had my 15.5 now for over 3 years and I find the lights very useful. I don't want the damn car beeping every time a vehicle is in my blindspot. The light is sufficient when I check my mirrors to merge. If it's lit up, I assume there's a car beside me and look in the mirrors to make sure it passes before changing lanes.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I am glad I can use same driving habit on new Volvo and my old cars. It helps to always look at side mirrors...

Though with the latest update, BLIS with collision avoidance could steer you back to be safe.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I am glad I can use same driving habit on new Volvo and my old cars. It helps to always look at side mirrors...

Though with the latest update, BLIS with collision avoidance could steer you back to be safe.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Had a 2019 S60 loaner. Collision Avoidance with the steering back into lane felt overly aggressive and quite annoying. My opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
The noise it horrific. IDK why anyone would want that. If you can't see the light you shouldn't be driving, plain and simple. If you drive in an area with heavy traffic you will hear the noise all the time if you're polite enough to signal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The noise it horrific. IDK why anyone would want that. If you can't see the light you shouldn't be driving, plain and simple. If you drive in an area with heavy traffic you will hear the noise all the time if you're polite enough to signal.
Definitely agree with this. Mine flashes all the time when I put it on, but I'm paying enough attention that I know a car is there. The signal is for the guy behind that car that's passing me to let them know I'm coming over.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Definitely agree with this. Mine flashes all the time when I put it on, but I'm paying enough attention that I know a car is there. The signal is for the guy behind that car that's passing me to let them know I'm coming over.
+1. I'd go bonkers if the damn BLIS had an audible noise every time a vehicle pulled into the blindspot. The work around might be that the Audible Tone is only activated when the turn signal is engaged. And all other warnings are visual only with the "light".

·
Registered
42 Posts
+2. It flashes often enough to drive me nuts as it is. If you've become dependent on an audible signal for lane changes, time to rethink your habits. You need to look. If the light blends that well with the paint job, then you have a point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts