SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the following message 2 days ago.

'Blind Spot Sensor Service Required'. I wiped down the cameras and restarted, but the issue persists. CTA and BLISS are greyed out and disengaged. The icons in the system are unable to be selected with a warning triangle.

I took it to the dealer today and their tech couldn't figure it out the root cause. They want me to come back next week so they work with Volvo (Sweden ?) online and tech to diagnose and hopefully fix.

I'm not used to where they work with the manufacturer/tech remotely. Is this normal with Volvo troubleshooting where the dealer repair shop doesn't know the issue? They said they did all they can do on their end and need Volvo's assistance.

Please advise if this is normal?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm not used to where they work with the manufacturer/tech remotely. Is this normal with Volvo troubleshooting where the dealer repair shop doesn't know the issue? They said they did all they can do on their end and need Volvo's assistance.

Sadly, this appears to be the norm with this vehicle. There is so much new tech in the car that dealer's are often ill equipped to deal with issues.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sadly, this appears to be the norm with this vehicle. There is so much new tech in the car that dealer's are often ill equipped to deal with issues.
Or put differently, it could be a new issues that requires research by the engineers to solve. Not as simple as just swapping out a part or changing a tire.

OP- if I were you, uncomfortable with some of the safety systems, I'd leave the car with the dealer and request a loaner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer said it's most likely software related and that Volvo is able to connect to the vehicle and obtain more information. The dealer basically said they need Volvo to tell them what to do. The car has less than 250 miles on it :(

Hopefully it's something they can address quickly. I don't want them to start pulling it apart....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I received the following message 2 days ago.

'Blind Spot Sensor Service Required'. I wiped down the cameras and restarted, but the issue persists. CTA and BLISS are greyed out and disengaged. The icons in the system are unable to be selected with a warning triangle.

I took it to the dealer today and their tech couldn't figure it out the root cause. They want me to come back next week so they work with Volvo (Sweden ?) online and tech to diagnose and hopefully fix.

Wait. There's cameras for BLIS on the XC90?

I thought they moved to radar based BLIS.

:(

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or put differently, it could be a new issues that requires research by the engineers to solve. Not as simple as just swapping out a part or changing a tire.

OP- if I were you, uncomfortable with some of the safety systems, I'd leave the car with the dealer and request a loaner.
I've never been in a situation where remote engineers diagnose the problem....is Volvo reputable in this area and they should be able to diagnose??

I'm getting a loaner next week...but I was ok driving it away today. I basically lose CTA and BLIS until they resolve.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've never been in a situation where remote engineers diagnose the problem....is Volvo reputable in this area and they should be able to diagnose??

I'm getting a loaner next week...but I was ok driving it away today. I basically lose CTA and BLIS until they resolve.
I had a 2001 Honda Accord with a transmission issue. A Honda engineer had to come in to diagnose the issue and approve the fix.
This is nothing really new - when you have a problem with a system, the manufacturers' engineers are usually involved.
When you have an issue with a part, the dealer can usually handle.

I don't think you need to have any concern - you likely just have a faulty sensor and they'll find it and replace.
Many people will tell you that with such complication and tight tolerances, parts are more likely to fail when very new, than very old.

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is very common for Volvo around the world, one of the people troubleshooting cars remotely from Gothenburg is actually an acquaintance of mine.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is a Technical Journal (30858) for a concern where "BLIS System Service Required" message is displayed and/or fault codes on the radar devices.

If a software upgrade does not fix the car, technicians are directed to open a case with the Technical Help Desk.

It sounds as if your dealer is simply following the Technical Journal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a Technical Journal (30858) for a concern where "BLIS System Service Required" message is displayed and/or fault codes on the radar devices.

If a software upgrade does not fix the car, technicians are directed to open a case with the Technical Help Desk.

It sounds as if your dealer is simply following the Technical Journal.
Thanks for the info. It appears if it software, they will perform it on the directive of the Volvo engineers as they didn't try it when I was there. They simply diagnosed and was unable to find the root cause and asked me to come back on Tuesday when they work with Volvo.

I'll have a loaner and hopefully the issue is resolved quickly.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the info. It appears if it software, they will perform it on the directive of the Volvo engineers as they didn't try it when I was there. They simply diagnosed and was unable to find the root cause and asked me to come back on Tuesday when they work with Volvo.

I'll have a loaner and hopefully the issue is resolved quickly.
First I find the BLIS sensor accuracy significantly inferior with many false readings compared to the BLIS on my somewhat older XC 90.

That said, the message you received may or may not mean that the BLIS has an issue beyond its inaccuracy. I don't believe Volvo has a real handle on many things including the vehicle's software and dealers typically have a handle on less, although there are exceptions.

I wish you well, and short of alienating the dealer, you have to be firm in your expectations and point out that you and the dealer are in the same boat and that each would benefit from better work by Volvo. I think you will find a good response from most dealers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update. Dealer had the car for 1/2 the day and worked with Volvo. They removed the right passenger rear view mirror and found that the BLIS wire was 'not connected'. They said it probably wasn't properly secure from the factory and it came loose. It did work when I received the vehicle but stopped working about 200miles later. All is well....for now :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got the same warning message yesterday. It looks like it could be software related or a loose wire...
Anyone else with the same problem?
thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts