SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking into purchase of 2013 XC60 and most of them seem to be fitted with BLIS. I have read some posts indicating that BLIS can be prone to errors and sometime distracting. Can BLIS be permanently turned off in the MY CAR menu or must one turn it off using the button on the dash each time of the car is started?

Thanks!

-dbk123

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi,

I had to order BLIS on my 2013 as an option, so perhaps dealers in your area order cars configured that way.
The only time i did notice a false indication is in rainy weather. Not all the time but it does happen. To me personally, BLIS is not distracting in any way. I don't even notice it until I look in the mirror, and even then I use it as a back up, as I try to position my mirrors to avoid having a blind spot.
Based on other buttons on the dash, I will venture a guess that once you turn it off, it will stay off until you turn it back on. I do that with Lane Departure warning (dont use it in every day city driving) and it doesnt come back on until i manually turn it on. Will need to check if this is controlled in Sensus

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I like BLIS for the power folding mirror feature.

It worked pretty well overall on the 4 Volvos that I've had with it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have BLIS on our 2010 XC90 R Edition. Its my wife's car, and God knows she needs all the help she can get. [I will share the horror stories of things she has run into some other time]. However, as our kids are often in the car with her, I chose to add the option. However, with my recently acquired XC60, I specifically decided against it as an option, mostly because I didnt want the extra cost for my car.

Objectively, its not a bad system, and I find it intriguing on the expressway. Has probably saved a few near misses (the last second "HONK and quick return" sort of thing). The only "false" error is occasionally when its raining, you'll see the light pop on for a second every now and then, but its pretty accurate, to be honest. The incidence of errors is low, and not amongst the reasons I chose against it. The light on the mirror is very unobtrusive, and I would not call it distracting whatsoever. And yes, I believe it can be turned off - seem to recall a button for that, and it stays off until pushed again.

If you are someone who habitually looks over your shoulder before merging - as many of were trained to do, then its a small help, but not amazing. However, if you drive like my wife, and merge with only a quick glance in the mirrors, then its definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife's XC60 has Bliss and it is great. Only problems in rain. Not distracting. Was not an option that I would have paid for but was on the car. I have a 2012 S60, no Bliss, wish I had it now that I have had some time to use it. There are a lot of times I can't see cars in both vehicles, on my S60 I find myself hunting around looking to see, result sower lane change, the the XC60, I know something is there, and a quick shoulder check to confirm.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
One interesting aspect of this discussion is the narrow focus MOST people have when looking at something small(rearview mirror in this case). This is something 'we' have to 'train out' of our normal behavior when practicing pistol fire on the range. It's the 'close one eye and squint' approach to aiming a firearm...not a good thing when in a defensive position and using a handgun. The idea is to keep both eyes open--partially because the natural reaction under stress IS to keep them open, NOT closing one eye. If all the practice is done with one eye closed, the brain will go haywire when under stress and trying to keep both eyes open for maximum information input.

This is a long way of suggesting that a VERY high percentage(my opinion) of folks who look in the outside mirrors COULD NOT accurately determine if the BLIS light is on or not. The focus in on the mirror(as it should be) and only in certain cases would the BLIS light even be within the narrow conscious focus of the driver. Of course, you will say "Easy...I can certainly tell if the light is on...just watch me"; but I believe in the real world of looking for vehicles IN THE MIRROR, many, many drivers don't even see the BLIS lamp--whether illuminated or not.

I have no scientific data to support this...only anecdotal experience from the pistol range, 30 years of teaching folks to focus on a tennis ball, and over 40 years of driving.

We're in our third BLIS-equipped vehicle and our new RDX is not so-equipped. I'll say there is not a .000001% difference in the accurate information I get from looking in the RDX mirrors vs the BLIS mirrors. I've had many vehicles pass or be passed by all three of our Volvos without a BLIS indication and have had dozens of false 'positives' from all three BLIS equipped cars over the 4+ years we've had them. Yes, rain is a problem(the ONE time I might want to rely on BLIS); BUT, our vehicles are kept pretty darned clean and I've gotten too many 'BLIS system needs service' messages and false readings in clear weather to even formulate a set of conditions when I might 'expect' BLIS to mal-function.

So...I'd say the auto-folding mirrors part of BLIS is of more benefit to me than the actual main purpose. I'll continue to position my mirrors well 'outboard' of where most folks put them AND I'll continue to turn my head as necessary before making a lane change. IN ALL HONESTY, I can't think of a single incident in driving a non-BLIS vehicle that I thought "BLIS sure would come in handy about now". I can't quibble with those folks who like BLIS and sing its praises...I'm just not sold on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I traded in my Murano for a blis assisted xc60 a week ago. The Murano has poor visibility to the sides and quite honestly so does the xc60. Anyway I too make a habit of looking over my shoulder but not always. I also keep track of the cars I pass on the xway and sometimes I use this as a shorthand to change lanes. Unfortunately more than once in recent months I had no idea I was changing into an occupied lane. Somehow they got there when they shouldn't have. Yes I know, my fault. But blis is a welcome aide based in my experience.

Sent via Tapatalk from my Rezound.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Blis

The one improvement that Blis needs is a subtle tone when a vehicle is in your blind spot and you continue your lane change. While I am glad we have Blis I enjoy the mirror folding feature more than the blind spot alert feature. The wagon has tech package and breaking out lane departure and integrating it with Blis would be fabulous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone else simply walk out of your car while it was still running? Happened to me today. Car did NOT alert me that while the gear was parked the engine (quiet engine) was still on. Why bring it up here? I got out and hit lock on the faub but heard no lock sound and the side mirrors did not fold. Yes, blis does happen to have one additional unexpected benefit. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts