SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver side stays on even after adjacent car is long gone. After several more seconds it goes out. I haven't timed exactly how long. Salesman said maybe catching some reflection. Psgr side ok. Others have same thing and what was diagnosis?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
The computer is smarter than you, don't even try to use your brain.

Or, maybe try turning your head and checking your blind spot like we were taught decades ago in drivers........education. Relying more on computers to think for us eliminates critical thinking skills which makes humans easier to control. The threat of artificial "intelligence" becoming your new dictator is not as far fetched as naive people would like to believe.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Maybe reduce your tuna consumption too. Tuna contains mercury which when consumed in large amounts will deteriorate the brain's ability to fire on all cylinders so to speak, as the brain is comprised of carbon, copper, and water. Mercury is in direct conflict with these minerals and is one of the items which contributes to "Alzheimer's", which is basically another fancy label for brain damage.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is that an optical or radar-based BLIS? From your description I assume optical. Mine will give false positives based on contrasty things it sees, but I've never experienced the lag that you describe.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I definitely get false positives (and false negatives) with the optical camera based BLIS on my 2012. The false positives tend to happen in the rain or at night.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yep, lots of false positives in the rain for me as well... also occasionally in very heavy rain I will get the light stay on and a a “camera blocked’ warning message one side or the other... wiping the lens clear never fixes it, shutting off/restarting BLIS doesn’t help, but so far has always gone away after stopping and restarting the car..

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The computer is smarter than you, don't even try to use your brain.

Or, maybe try turning your head and checking your blind spot like we were taught decades ago in drivers........education. Relying more on computers to think for us eliminates critical thinking skills which makes humans easier to control. The threat of artificial "intelligence" becoming your new dictator is not as far fetched as naive people would like to believe.

Maybe reduce your tuna consumption too. Tuna contains mercury which when consumed in large amounts will deteriorate the brain's ability to fire on all cylinders so to speak, as the brain is comprised of carbon, copper, and water. Mercury is in direct conflict with these minerals and is one of the items which contributes to "Alzheimer's", which is basically another fancy label for brain damage.

Wow. That was...interesting.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Maybe they left the gate open at the XC90 thread again...........

So anyways back on topic. I find that sometimes my Blis will be triggered correctly by a car in my blind spot and start flashing but after the car has passed it will remain flashing and the cluster shows me a blis error message at which point I have to turn it (blis) off to stop the flashing. It wont work again until I have restarted the car but then it seems to be back to normal until the next random time this happens.

·
Registered
753 Posts
BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that. Not that Elon Musk would agree with me, he's thinking we need to colonize Mars. Which brings to mind Elton's Rocket Man..."I miss the Earth so much ....I miss my wife" "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids...in fact it's cold as hell..."

·
Registered
548 Posts
I look if the BLIS light is off. If it's on, I accept its warning and delay the lane change.

And remember, BLIS is the incorrect abbreviation.

·
Registered
520 Posts
BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that.
I agree with you I don't actually rely on it by itself but its in my car and I have to manually turn it off every time I start the car to get rid of it. Now when it works fine it doesn't bother me you use it in conjunction with your own senses just like the adaptive cruise control, it takes time to include these systems with your own senses because you still have to watch the road but you get used to them.

I think the purposes of this thread is to discuss BLIS failure which can be annoying.

And remember, BLIS is the incorrect abbreviation.
Correct but BSIS is annoying to say.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Maybe they left the gate open at the XC90 thread again...........

So anyways back on topic. I find that sometimes my Blis will be triggered correctly by a car in my blind spot and start flashing but after the car has passed it will remain flashing and the cluster shows me a blis error message at which point I have to turn it (blis) off to stop the flashing. It wont work again until I have restarted the car but then it seems to be back to normal until the next random time this happens.
You most likely have a failing camera. Heavy rain will trigger false warnings but the flashing is a fault. There are some models have some software upgrades but I've seen many a failed camera including my own car but not worth fixing since I can turn my head.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
All this talk of turning heads... :nono:

Just set your mirrors correctly! You'll never need to turn your head or rely on BLIS ever again.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5
Wish I could up-vote this. My grandfather was a trucker and one of the first things he did when I was learning to drive was teach me how to set the mirrors properly - just like your link describes. Done right, cars pass smoothly from the center rear view, to the side mirrors, and then into peripheral vision with no gaps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wish I could up-vote this. My grandfather was a trucker and one of the first things he did when I was learning to drive was teach me how to set the mirrors properly - just like your link describes. Done right, cars pass smoothly from the center rear view, to the side mirrors, and then into peripheral vision with no gaps.
Agree, most people have them set so you can see down the side of the car and behind.....useless.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
It takes all kinds...:whistle:
Yeah, all kinds of stupid people to rely so heavily on computers to do everything for them. It's probably from all the tuna (mercury) that Tunahoagie ingests.

People drove cars for decades successfully without a computer to tell them if there was a vehicle in their blind spot. These people simply turned their head for a second to check their blind spot. Sounds simple because it is.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
BLIS is one option even if I had I would still turn my head and look. It's a split second that could save my life. No way I trust technology on that. Not that Elon Musk would agree with me, he's thinking we need to colonize Mars. Which brings to mind Elton's Rocket Man..."I miss the Earth so much ....I miss my wife" "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids...in fact it's cold as hell..."
Mars has already been colonized, but the small minded won't be able to comprehend. See Andrew Basiago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts