SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first day I got to drive my S60 in the rain.

I've noticed that during daylight rain BLIS tends to give a lot of false readings. I understand that reflections can cause BLIS to be set off, but I didn't think it would be on so much. During a 30 minute drive the right BLIS light stayed on for about 15-20 minutes constantly, and the left was blinking on and off even without a car in the blind spot. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there anything I should be doing to minimize the false positives (other than shutting it off entirely)?

I am wondering if Volvo has ever thought of using the sonar sensors (like other manufacturers) in conjunction with the cameras to minimize false readings?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think Volvo's implementation of this feature is strange (cameras rather than radar/sonar). Seems like it would require much more complex processing by a computer than bouncing a signal off a solid object.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think Volvo's implementation of this feature is strange (cameras rather than radar/sonar). Seems like it would require much more complex processing by a computer than bouncing a signal off a solid object.
Just a guess, but since it is aimed at the blind spot (think angle), a reflection from an object back there would be somewhat more problematic than a visual.

·
Registered
123 Posts
"I think Volvo's implementation of this feature is strange (cameras rather than radar/sonar). Seems like it would require much more complex processing by a computer than bouncing a signal off a solid object."

I though this was werid too.

Some of my theories:
#1) In testing, it was more reliable then ultrasound (since volvo has an obsession with safety)
#2) Maybe the cameras do more then we thought and tie in with the black box.
#3) With the city safe software developed, it was cheaper for Volvo to use webcams then to source ultrasound equipment from some other company. (Volvo did go in-house on the radio too, just a thought)
#4) Because they can!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would think that a false warning is better than no warning at all. In theory, this system (BLIS) is a drivers aid, not a navigational unit.

Sonar is not an option, based on vehicle speeds and variables in weather. Ect, ect.

Radar would be nice, but based on current technology you would have rather large attachments to the exterior of the body, and a whole lot more expensive technology that would have to be duplicated on both sides of the vehicle. The forward looking radar installed in Volvo cars requires quite a bit of processing time, and implementation of another two (one on each side) would be very expensive. Possible, yes. Want to pay for it? Doubtful.

In my humble opinion, I would think that a little reminder to look again might prevent a possible "bad day" experience. Is it perfect? No. Talk to your service department, all Volvo systems are constantly reviewed and updated frequently. They would be able to explain a bit more about the limitations and causes for false warnings, and can check for any improvements available to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I think Volvo's implementation of this feature is strange (cameras rather than radar/sonar). Seems like it would require much more complex processing by a computer than bouncing a signal off a solid object."

#3) With the city safe software developed, it was cheaper for Volvo to use webcams then to source ultrasound equipment from some other company. (Volvo did go in-house on the radio too, just a thought)
Wasn't the S60 developed when they were still part of FoMoCo? If so couldn't they have shared the system with Ford such as on their Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)with Cross Traffic Alert on their Taurus or Fusion that uses the sonar sensors on the back of the vehicle? Then again apparent Ford has a similar problem with their sonar system:

"An extreme build up of materials on the left and/or right quarter panel fascias such as mud or snow can cause degraded performance of the BLIS. Also, heavy rain can cause the same effect. The BLIS can detect this degraded performance and issue a blocked warning to the driver via the message center. If condition is determined by the system, the message center displays BLIND SPOT NOT AVAILABLE or CROSS TRAFFIC NOT AVAILABLE warning and the appropriate left and/or right exterior mirror alert indicator will illuminate. The message center warning may be cleared by the driver but the exterior mirror alert indicator will remain illuminated."

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
"An extreme build up of materials on the left and/or right quarter panel fascias such as mud or snow can cause degraded performance of the BLIS. Also, heavy rain can cause the same effect. The BLIS can detect this degraded performance and issue a blocked warning to the driver via the message center. If condition is determined by the system, the message center displays BLIND SPOT NOT AVAILABLE or CROSS TRAFFIC NOT AVAILABLE warning and the appropriate left and/or right exterior mirror alert indicator will illuminate. The message center warning may be cleared by the driver but the exterior mirror alert indicator will remain illuminated."
That's from Ford? I get that message at times in rain. I just turn off the system. In fact, because of the location of the warning light, I find it takes an extra step to use these monitors then it would to simply turn your head. The warning light really should be in the mirror glass to eliminate that extra step. Because of that (retraining yourself how to change lanes) and all the false positives (the boy who cried wolf) I don't use the system and would not get it again as implemented. I find the folding mirrors the more useful feature of that option package.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's from Ford? I get that message at times in rain. I just turn off the system. In fact, because of the location of the warning light, I find it takes an extra step to use these monitors then it would to simply turn your head. The warning light really should be in the mirror glass to illuminate that extra step. Because of that (retraining yourself how to change lanes) and all the false positives (the boy who cried wolf) I don't use the system and would not get it again as implemented. I find the folding mirrors the more useful feature of that option package.
Yes that was on the Ford forum about the Fusion. I agree about the folding mirror option. I love how they automatically fold in when I lock the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts