SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, New to the forum but not new to Volvo's. My first 2 cars were 1980's models Volvo's and I loved them both. We're looking forward to possibly adding a newer volvo to our household so here I am looking for the experience and input of this awesome community!

So, I recently test drove and really liked an XC60 T6 Platinum that had BLIS. We already have a Mazda that has what they call BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) and really love the feature on that car so we're looking forward to replacing our other older car with one that has the same capability. One thing we could remember from the test drive that I was hoping somebody could verify for me is this:

When you're driving and somebody is in your blind spot and you activate the turn signal to change to that lane does the BLIS system beep or have an audible alert to indicate that a car is there? Our Mazda does this and we really like it. It has the visual indicator and it flashes if you turn on the signal but it also will beep when you turn on that signal. I don't remember the Volvo doing this but I wasn't sure if maybe it was a feature that could be enabled either. Also, if it doesn't beep, is there anybody who has come from a system like the Mazda's and does or does not miss the audible functionality of it?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is no audible beep. The BLIS indicator lights flash repeatedly though- which gets your attention as you are already looking in the mirror / direction anyway. The only audible beeps come from the parking sensors or rear cross traffic alert.

·
Registered
745 Posts
There is no audible beep. The BLIS indicator lights flash repeatedly though- which gets your attention as you are already looking in the mirror / direction anyway. The only audible beeps come from the parking sensors or rear cross traffic alert.
This is 100% correct.

I actually hate the systems that beep for blind spot indication. It really should be a non issue as you should be checking your blind spot before you signal. BLIS is not a replacement for not checking your blind spot first.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It does beep for Cross Traffic Alert though (when in reverse, as in when backing out of a parking spot)

I've been in a parking lot that was at a slight angle to the road. I was backing up in the parking lot and the BLIS radars picked up the cars in the road moving in my direction and it flashed the BLIS light whilst sounding the cross traffic alert warning beeps. First time this happened I was a little freaked out.

I wish it did the same when putting on directional or it notices you are crossing lanes when BLIS is actively detecting a car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm okay with it not beeping, but the flashing orange indicator is enough to get your attention.

One day I did check my blind spot to the right side of my vehicle, and I didn't see a vehicle; thankfully the BLIS picked up a young punk in an older model Infiniti going 30-40 miles over the speed limit weaving through traffic and coming from two lanes over into the lane I wanted to safely turn to. At first I was like, no one is there, but I waited to see what it was, and sure enough, I saw the white vehicle zoom past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts