SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Southern California where 99% of the service stations sell 87, 89, or 91 AKI octane fuel. I’ve taken to blending higher octane fuels together to yield 93 AKI for canyon running and 95 AKI for the track (AKI octane ratings are about four points, and some change, below the equivalent RON).

Understanding that ECU controlled engines will typically retard timing to avoid engine knock, and that running boost pressures in excess of OEM exacerbates engine knock as well, it seems counterproductive to hammer an engine running on low octane fuel. Fortunately, there are a handful of outlets in Socal which sell high octane fuel, and it’s available at most racing venues.

Octane calculator: Octane Calculator - www.bazellracefuels.com

References on Octane Blending and Application
Sunoco Race Fuels

Engine Tech | Fuel Octane in Relation to Engine Knock and How to Avoid it - DSPORT Magazine

20210124_132845 by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

20210124_132826 by LCF Polestar, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You could also use Boostane. I use it to bring my 93 to 98. Perfect what you are doing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I treated the P* to a full serving of 100 octane today

The P* definitely loves it - such a marked difference from 91! Now that I'm driving even less due to COVID19, I'm thinking of just exclusively filling up with 100 octane since it's just a couple of miles away from home.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could also use Boostane. I use it to bring my 93 to 98. Perfect what you are doing.
Good to know you have found success with that. There has been considerable negative feedback out there on using octane boosters so much so that I have stayed away from those products.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Good to know you have found success with that. There has been considerable negative feedback out there on using octane boosters so much so that I have stayed away from those products.
I haven’t had any issues, it does turn the plugs and O2 sensors orange but no ill effects as far as mechanical or gumming up the works. I actually used half a can of the Boostane Premium in each 16gal fill up for 2 years straight, about 9k miles. I’ll be using it again this summer as well. No orange tailpipes or anything and no noticeable residue when I scoped the cylinders. Even when I pulled the cat to go catless there wasn’t anything amiss there either.

Reactions: OscarII
1 - 5 of 5 Posts