SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brake Bleeder screw size

Hi,
I want to change the brake fluid on 2012 XC60. What size of socket wrench do i need? (mm) Do front bleeder screws have different size than rear ?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Referencing various online parts website, it seems there are two wrench sizes: 9mm and 11 mm.
Now, the problem is it's hard to find 6 points 9mm/11mm box wrench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a 11 MM box end ratchet wrench ,PB blaster, Motive bleeder and successfully bled the two front wheels. The bleeder screws are 11 MM. The rear bleeder screw is also 11MM Not 9MM. The rear brakes are different than the front. On the front brake, there is lots of room around the bleeder screw but on the rear ones, the bleeder screw was right next to a block of metal so I can't use the ratchet wrench. I tried the 12 points 11MM box end wrench. What a mistake. Rear bleeder screws were rusted so bad, I rounded it off using a 12 points wrench. I tried the second rear brake but this time I used a 11MM deep socket, it still rounded the bleeder screw. There's too much play. I checked and make sure the brake fluid is not leaking and just left the rear brake as it is. I'll continue bleed the two front brakes every 2 years. I don't feel much difference in braking power. There's maybe 10% improvement. The old fluid looks very clean.I just bought this car 2 months ago and I suspect this is the first time to do a brake bleeding for a 7 years old car. The main purpose to bleed the brakes every 2 years is to prevent the bleeder screws from seizing and to remove moisture in the system so they don't rusted inside out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts