SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of threads for other models discussing placement of the BlackVue camera on the front windshield in comparison to the sensor array and other factory stuff but I didn't see much discussion for the S90 specifically and wasn't sure if there was anything unique about the MY19 S90 to take into consideration. I'm *hopefully* picking up my new S90 on Monday if all goes well and am planning on installing the dashcam. I would prefer not installing it on the bottom of the windshield or on the sides if possible. A lot of folk seem to be using the Blendmount (link below) and claim it works ok without causing any issues?

https://store.blendmount.com/blendm...eriesbbv-2019blackvue-dr900sdr750s-p3853.aspx

Anyone with a MY19 S90 or that is more knowledgeable about this have any info?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
There are a number of threads for other models discussing placement of the BlackVue camera on the front windshield in comparison to the sensor array and other factory stuff but I didn't see much discussion for the S90 specifically and wasn't sure if there was anything unique about the MY19 S90 to take into consideration. I'm *hopefully* picking up my new S90 on Monday if all goes well and am planning on installing the dashcam. I would prefer not installing it on the bottom of the windshield or on the sides if possible. A lot of folk seem to be using the Blendmount (link below) and claim it works ok without causing any issues?

https://store.blendmount.com/blendm...eriesbbv-2019blackvue-dr900sdr750s-p3853.aspx

Anyone with a MY19 S90 or that is more knowledgeable about this have any info?

Thanks!!
On my S60, I placed my dash camera under the rearview mirror. I have a Viofo A129 Duo, so not a blackvue. But anywhere out of sight where you don't have a cord obstructing your view is ideal.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my S60, I placed my dash camera under the rearview mirror. I have a Viofo A129 Duo, so not a blackvue. But anywhere out of sight where you don't have a cord obstructing your view is ideal.
Thanks. I'm planning on getting the BlackVue DR900S-2CH and it sounds like in theory the Blendmount option seems to work ok without any issues. The sensors for the driver assist stuff is my main concern and causing interference from their operation.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks. I'm planning on getting the BlackVue DR900S-2CH and it sounds like in theory the Blendmount option seems to work ok without any issues. The sensors for the driver assist stuff is my main concern and causing interference from their operation.
If you are worried about interference, I've never experienced any where my camera is mounted. The main concern should be to put the camera where it won't bother you or obstruct your line of sign out the windshield.

Couple tips:

1. Never tuck wires into the pillars with an IC-Airbag (Curtain). You need to remove these pillars and tuck the wire BEHIND the curtain.

2. Hardwiring is pretty easy. I piggy backed off my power seats for the red wire (battery) and heated seats for accessory (Yellow).

·
Registered
339 Posts
I placed my camera right next to the center B&W speaker. This allows the camera to get a wide view of the road. I couldn't get a good view with it mounted to the windshield.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
In a reputable vendor, interference should come only from cameras with wifi, bluetooth or other wireless technologies.
I have a Viofo without wireless mounted right by the central box and in 1.5 years never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
In a reputable vendor, interference should come only from cameras with wifi, bluetooth or other wireless technologies.
I have a Viofo without wireless mounted right by the central box and in 1.5 years never had an issue.

With DR900S I would be concerned to place it too close to the radar sensors in the upper center area due to possible wifi harmonics interference. Better safe than sorry.

From datasheet:

Built-in (802.11n 2.4GHz / 802.11ac 5GHz Dual band), Cloud technology.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here it is on my V90CC

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here you go.

Thanks for the images! Image looks great but it seems awfully low (expected based on positioning though).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the images! Image looks great but it seems awfully low (expected based on positioning though).
Yea it's pretty low but I didn't want it in my line of sight. Plus mounting it next to the camera system caused the camera to not see a chunk on the driver's side. So for now it's a compromise

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea it's pretty low but I didn't want it in my line of sight. Plus mounting it next to the camera system caused the camera to not see a chunk on the driver's side. So for now it's a compromise

Yea its unfortunate. It doesn't look bad, just very low. I have a feeling I may end up having to do that myself.

·
Registered
339 Posts
There is a fuse box under the front of the passenger carpeting. So
1. Remove passenger side door scuff plate
2. Remove side of dash, just clicks off
3. Remove trim on right of dash, should just click off
4. Remove 8mm bolt on the top of the A pillar and pull of A pillar, it may be a bit hard to get off at first.
5. Pull back carpet and open the fuse box.
6. Mount camera where you want
7. Tap power into fuse box using add a fuse.
8. Figure out how to hide the wires.
9. Reassemble.

This is all from memory so some steps may be out of order. Most things are clipped in, just go slow and be careful.

·
Registered
195 Posts
With all the camera's offer 360 views on the newer Volvo cars it is a wonder why this isn't a factory option...Sounds like it would be easy.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With all the camera's offer 360 views on the newer Volvo cars it is a wonder why this isn't a factory option...Sounds like it would be easy.
I agree but not much we can do about it for now unless Volvo decides to change things (maybe with the new Android infotainment center?).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Let's be careful what we wish for. Such information will likely be stored with all sorts of additional data (speed for one) and would be made available to parties that I'm not in favour to get it.
And we wouldn't be able to erase, etc.

True big brother blackbox functionality.

We will probably get there one day but I'll not ask for this.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let's be careful what we wish for. Such information will likely be stored with all sorts of additional data (speed for one) and would be made available to parties that I'm not in favour to get it.
And we wouldn't be able to erase, etc.

True big brother blackbox functionality.

We will probably get there one day but I'll not ask for this.

True. It's the same reason I don't use Android Auto or any voice activated assistants. No one needs to be listening in on me all the time (even if I don't have anything particularly interesting information to give up anyway).

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
True. It's the same reason I don't use Android Auto or any voice activated assistants. No one needs to be listening in on me all the time (even if I don't have anything particularly interesting information to give up anyway).
.....Use a cell phone? Corded Phone? Well NSA could monitor your call. Use the internet? Your search history is up for grabs or pc susceptible to hackers.....

Less you are using those drug dealer phones and a vpn with no logging that you have exclusive access to, then if someone really cared to snoop they could. And even if you are using these tools, court orders and enough persistence can isolate a person...

Its 2019....If you want to live "off grid"... go live in a hut in the middle of alaska without any phone or internet service....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts