SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are a few existing threads on the forum which deal with the question of where to mount a front-facing dashcam so as to not interfere with Volvo's Intellisafe various lane-keeping and radar systems.

In summary this is what I have learnt:
- The risk of interference seems to be more physical (i.e. physically blocking the radar/camera path), rather than RF/electromagnetic (e.g. Wifi interference). Either way, Wifi can be switched off, certainly on the Blackvue webcams.
- Mounting to the screen in front of where the Intellisafe slopes up to meet it, whilst perhaps seeming attractive, is clearly a very bad idea given the clear Volvo warnings against.
- Mounting to the screen to left of right of the Intellisafe means moving quite a bit to one side to avoid potential Intellisafe blocking also, and you are limited on the passenger side because of the arc of the wiper blade.
- Also, the curve of the screen means you end up pointing too much left or too much right.
- So the optimum positioning seems to be kind of hanging immediately below the Intellisafe. After testing the dashcam picture in many potential locations (I'm using a BV dr900s) it does seems to give a reasonable compromise, even though you do lose a little in the vertical field of vision - see photo..

Look what I found: https://store.blendmount.com/blendmount-dashcam-aluminum-rearview-mirror-mountspecialty-seriesbbv-2019blackvue-dr900sdr750s-p3853.aspx

Sweet! Perfect for you folk in the US and Asia market. I haven't seen this elsewhere on Swedespeed, hence the new post.

Unfortunately this is designed to hang over the mirror stem on the passenger side (the driver side isn't a big enough gap) on Left Hand Drive vehicles only. Mine is RHD. Anyway, I have ordered it up and when it arrives I'm going to try swapping round the lower articulating joint so that it can hang on the passenger side (in my case on the left) and still face forward. I'll post updates next week and let you know how it all goes.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Can you do the free Tapatalk app on Android? Once installed one can post pictures easily from your mobile camera.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So there are a few existing threads on the forum which deal with the question of where to mount a front-facing dashcam so as to not interfere with Volvo's Intellisafe various lane-keeping and radar systems.

In summary this is what I have learnt:
- The risk of interference seems to be more physical (i.e. physically blocking the radar/camera path), rather than RF/electromagnetic (e.g. Wifi interference). Either way, Wifi can be switched off, certainly on the Blackvue webcams.
- Mounting to the screen in front of where the Intellisafe slopes up to meet it, whilst perhaps seeming attractive, is clearly a very bad idea given the clear Volvo warnings against.
- Mounting to the screen to left of right of the Intellisafe means moving quite a bit to one side to avoid potential Intellisafe blocking also, and you are limited on the passenger side because of the arc of the wiper blade.
- Also, the curve of the screen means you end up pointing too much left or too much right.
- So the optimum positioning seems to be kind of hanging immediately below the Intellisafe. After testing the dashcam picture in many potential locations (I'm using a BV dr900s) it does seems to give a reasonable compromise, even though you do lose a little in the vertical field of vision - see photo..

Look what I found: https://store.blendmount.com/blendmount-dashcam-aluminum-rearview-mirror-mountspecialty-seriesbbv-2019blackvue-dr900sdr750s-p3853.aspx

Sweet! Perfect for you folk in the US and Asia market. I haven't seen this elsewhere on Swedespeed, hence the new post.

Unfortunately this is designed to hang over the mirror stem on the passenger side (the driver side isn't a big enough gap) on Left Hand Drive vehicles only. Mine is RHD. Anyway, I have ordered it up and when it arrives I'm going to try swapping round the lower articulating joint so that it can hang on the passenger side (in my case on the left) and still face forward. I'll post updates next week and let you know how it all goes.
I put mine at center bottom at dashboard right in front of b&w center speaker. I didn't want to mess with any potential interference at all from GPS or wifi. Haven't had any issues driving for almost 2 years now. I get perfect view of everything ahead and it doesn't bother me visually from interior or exterior. Only slight problem I had with that location is parking mode and the security beacon flashing all the time while vehicle is locked setting off recordings. Fixed that with some black insulation tape. Over the red flashing parts.

You can see pics in this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=473209#/topics/473209

Good luck with your approach.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok. So the Blendmount arrived and I'm really happy with it. Honestly, it's perfect. It is very simple to take apart so I was able to reconfigure it for my Right Hand Drive XC90 no problem. In fact, is seems there are lots of different ways in which you can set it up - either dead central underneath the Intellisafe, or slightly to the left or right, or further to the left or right. It's rock steady also.

In the pictures in the following link you'll see that I have set it up slightly to the passenger's side (the left in my case) in order to avoid having too much of the Intellisafe housing at the top of the picture, and at the same time giving very little interruption to the driver's view. I'll play around with it a bit more this week before the installer arrives to do the cabling etc.
I haven't done a lot of driving yet but there is no way it can possibly interfere with the Intellisafe radars etc as it's just not in the path. Also, you can turn off the wifi if concerned about possible RF interference.

There's another very good reason (in my view) for mounting the dashcam on the rear-view mirror stem rather than stuck to the window which is that it is far less obvious/obtrusive from outside the car, in case you are worried about dashcam theft. It is as easy as anything to remove the Blackvue entirely also if you want.

So in summary, a brilliant solution. Blendmount have nailed it. For reference, the XC90 version is the BBV-2019 speciality mount. Pretty sure it would be the same for new XC60 etc, but check on the Blendmount website the correct one for your model, year etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
$140 for a mount. No, thank you! I would mount it on glass. The passenger side wiper blade arc does limit the positioning. I need to try it out one of these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No way it would stick - there is a curved moulding to the Intellisafe, with vents also. I did carefully look at and consider this, but I concluded without a shadow of doubt it would just keep falling off and probably damage the dashcam, especially in event of a knock to the car. I appreciate it's a few $$$, so not for everybody, but I already shelled out for top of the range Blackvue, and let's face it, the XC90 with Intellisafe setup isn't exactly a small investment either! So ….

1 - 11 of 11 Posts