SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you with Blackvue dashcams with cloud connectivity been able to connect your dashcam to the XC90's hotspot? Goodness knows I've tried but no luck.

The dashcam Wifi works as it connects to either my phone or house Wifi and I can view dashcam files via the Blackvue cloud function from both my phone and computer. The Volvo hotspot works as I put in a 4G T-Mobile SIM card and my phone can browse websites quickly using the Volvo hotspot. The Blackvue cloud functionality works as I can sit at my home computer and connect via the home Wifi directly into the dashcam which is also connected to the home Wifi when parked in the garage. The weak link appears to be the dashcam connecting to the XC90 hotspot.

I've tried setting the frequency to 2.4GHz on both the dashcam and XC90 hotspot and again 5GHz for both but no luck. Any brainstorming ideas?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will be installing mine this week and will let you know. By the way where did you mount your camera.
Bought two 2 channels so four total for nearly 360 degree coverage - got side dinged while parked recently and the "shopping cart" left me a note, no joke . . .

The front high resolution camera is on the glass top left of the radar unit while the rear high resolution camera is dead top center on the rear glass. Each of the low resolution cameras are on the C pillar windows to cover the sides.

The installation threads here were awesome - thanks especially to SG1 for the exceptionally detailed post!

Good luck, take your time unlike me where I either broke or lost a few metal clips reinstalling trim (not removing) while in angry beast mode meditating on how exactly a shopping cart can leave a note . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure the hotspot is the preferred hotspot and make sure you’ve got the BlckVue’s firmware updated. I’m pretty sure mine works great because I get recordings when my wife is driving and car’s hotspot is the only WiFi then.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Make sure the hotspot is the preferred hotspot and make sure you’ve got the BlckVue’s firmware updated.
Yes, I did both of these already but still no luck . . . Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are other devices connciting?
Check list of connected devices - maybe it connects to the WiFi but not to its cloud?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are other devices connciting?
Definitely yes, each connection works properly.
Check list of connected devices - maybe it connects to the WiFi but not to its cloud?
When the dashcam cloud is on I noticed the dashcam WiFi, which is normally left on by default, is grayed out, presumably to prevent conflict or multiple choices. In this situation the dashcam chooses nothing else (like a WiFi connection) as it shouldn't.

But you bring up a good point about the potential for conflict between Blackvue's WiFi function and cloud function. Later tonight I'll force the WiFi off and remove all WiFi SSIDs then use the cloud. This way there's no chance WiFi will be turned on or even chosen.

Thanks, I'll let you know how that goes in about 13 hours.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything's working fine now, the remote cloud connection is awesome!
Embarassingly, I spelled the SSID of the Volvo hotspot incorrectly within the dashcam cloud setting - sorry to waste all your time!
Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts