SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove this or get a windshield without it? How much would a replacement windshield cost? This was the only thing that really jumped out at me as a problem when I test drove the R because even though I'm only a bit on the tall side (6 feet) it obstructed my view badly. I moved the rear view mirror up as far as it would go and that helped somewhat but that black area created a dangerous blind spot for me. I had the seat down as low as it would go so that's not the issue. Has anyone else found this to be a problem in the S60R?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm 6ft and this doesn't bother me. I don't even notice it. Try looking at the road? Haha.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm 6ft and this doesn't bother me. I don't even notice it. Try looking at the road? Haha.
My guess is you have longer legs and a shorter torso. I don't know, but it's pretty annoying for me. My head is pretty close to the roof liner too.

it might have to do with the rain sensor. might need a blacked out area around it for its function.
Hmm I guess that might be it. I've actually noticed that not all Rs have that black area, I'll have to see if it's only cars with the climate pack.

Mind you this is not a make or break kind of thing. At this point I've decided I'm getting an R, I just wonder if there's anything I can do about this aside from the obvious "get one without the black area". So far none of the ones I've been looking at have lacked it, only a couple I've seen in photos.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm taller than 6ft yet that thing doesn't obstruct my view. You sure you ain't 7ft?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
nvm

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Try leaning your seat back...a lot
I have a tall trunk, I wear a 2XLT shirt and I actually flip the visor to keep the sun out.
Teach yourself a new driving position

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe it's just because I'm used to a car that doesn't have any kind of black area behind the mirror. Also the headroom in my car is better and I sit lower relative to the top of the windshield. My car is old and a piece of crap though so that doesn't help :p

A couple of other cars I test drove had a similar problem with less headroom and being closer to the top of the windshield. I never felt like my visibility was obstructed in them the way I did in the R though. It's almost certainly something to do with the rain sensing wipers. This car doesn't have the climate pack and the black area protrudes only about half as far down the windshield.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My guess is you have longer legs and a shorter torso. I don't know, but it's pretty annoying for me. My head is pretty close to the roof liner too.

Hmm I guess that might be it. I've actually noticed that not all Rs have that black area, I'll have to see if it's only cars with the climate pack.

Mind you this is not a make or break kind of thing. At this point I've decided I'm getting an R, I just wonder if there's anything I can do about this aside from the obvious "get one without the black area". So far none of the ones I've been looking at have lacked it, only a couple I've seen in photos.
I can't imagine how that could obstruct your view. And even less to the point where it could be dangerous. I"m guessing it's more a matter of familiarity with the caR.

If you were racing, for example, you'd want the best view possible. And yet, what you'd probably do is black out the entire upper 1/4 of the windshield to get better road focus. You don't really need to keep a watch for planes while you drive. I'm being funny here of course.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Maybe you should move the seat all the way down.

I didn't even think about it when I got the car, I'm 6'

·
Registered
351 Posts
Honestly, and I'm not recommending this, you could use a razor blade to scrape off the black stuff. Otherwise, just deal with it. I can't imagine it gets in your way if your seat is set right.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Granted I am only 5'9" or so I don't see how this is an issue even if I raise my seat all the way up I still am never bothered by the black around the rain sensor accept maybe if I was looking for incoming objects from overhead which is a bit silly that's what the sunroof is for.

OP mind posting a pic of your view from your eye level.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I have my seat all the way down. Nothing except the giant A pillars obstruct my view. I'm not sure how you can even see it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Granted I am only 5'9" or so I don't see how this is an issue even if I raise my seat all the way up I still am never bothered by the black around the rain sensor accept maybe if I was looking for incoming objects from overhead which is a bit silly that's what the sunroof is for.

OP mind posting a pic of your view from your eye level.
The next time I test drive an R I will. I don't have one yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not really. I'm 6'3".... I don't drive with my seat reclined hardly at all and I have Steelers dice hanging from my mirror. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
6 ft and I literally tried to make the black thing get in my way driving around today. I just dont see how it is possible

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts