SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting some black/grey clouds of smoke on heavy acceleration (WOT). I used to only notice it at night when I could see it in the headlights of the cars behind. Now I can see it a bit during the day. It doesn't do this consistently, only 1 out of every 5 or 6 times I go WOT.

Turbo, boost, engine feels fine/strong. Is this something I should worry about? Time for a tune up? 90K miles.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue is burning oil, white is coolant. Black is usually running too rich, from what I remember.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Black smoke usually points to running rich. Do you have an A/F ratio gauge? Sounds like the tune you are running is fuel mapped to run rich at WOT to prevent boom-goes-the-engine.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I don't have an A/F ratio gauge. It seems to be doing it more and more frequently, which is why I'm slightly concerned. The tune is Elevate/Autotech.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Probably the extra fuel/carbon being burned off now that you have been driving with the tune. You could swap in an OEM ECU to determine if the Elevate unit is the culprit.

Do you have Smog shops in your area? A tail pipe sniffer would also tell you whats going on with the engine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do you have a downpipe without a cat or the rear o2 spaced out? Do you have any codes? If it is black smoke it definitely sounds like you're running rich, but for it to be as noticeable as you make it sound you'd have to be running really rich and should throw a code, espically if you're running a factory catted down pipe.

Also if you find no visible leaks also try and flash back your stock tune, and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Could be that your internal seal of your turbo is going letting oil into the exhaust, or the PCV system isn't fully doing it's job causing excessive pressure and oil blow by. Those would be my first thoughts.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If it's not consistent, I'd be looking at my oil levels very closely. I would suspect a leaking oil seal on the turbo. It can let a little bit of oil thru, which will then puddle up in the intercooler and passages, and give you a puff of smoke every once in a while. It doesn't take much oil to make a LOT of smoke, either.

If it's consistent, then I'd be looking at the tune you have installed... WOT = dump the fuel = black smokey.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Been getting some black/grey clouds of smoke on heavy acceleration (WOT). I used to only notice it at night when I could see it in the headlights of the cars behind. Now I can see it a bit during the day. It doesn't do this consistently, only 1 out of every 5 or 6 times I go WOT.

Turbo, boost, engine feels fine/strong. Is this something I should worry about? Time for a tune up? 90K miles.
White/grey is a coolant leak (not good - probably cracked block) and should smell 'musty' but not 'sooty/oily'. If it is blue-black and more pronounced on the first acceleration after the car has been sitting overnight, that is classic piston ring wear (get a compression test.) If, as others have mentioned, it is sooty black and fairly consistent on acceleration, your fuel map is too rich and I would blame your Autotech tune - check that you have the right map for your caR and maybe get it re-flashed.

One other thought for a 90k caR - if your PCV system is clogged and/or your oil trap is full, back pressure can build enough to force oil past otherwise healthy piston rings and a service may solve your problems.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Could be the seals in your turbo. Pretty sure mine are on their way out.

Does it happen near redline, or the whole band? The car will run richer the closer it comes to redline, I believe. So that could be the case.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Could be the seals in your turbo. Pretty sure mine are on their way out.

Does it happen near redline, or the whole band? The car will run richer the closer it comes to redline, I believe. So that could be the case.
All turbo cars blow puffs of smoke under heavy load. It is usually burning oil which gets consumed from the charge pipe. Turbos naturally produce a coating of oil on the entire charge system by means of slight seepage by the oil seals. This is completely normal unless you have a consistent drop in oil level between changes. If you are smoking during idle or cruising speeds, I would be worried.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Black smoke = oil, white smoke = coolant. S60r runs very lean for a boosted car so even if you're running on the rich side you wouldn't see black smoke to the point of actually seeing it out of your rear view. Most likely your turbo is toast :(.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No aftermarket DP or cat. All stock. PCV system was functioning normally last time I checked recently, according to the glove test and the dipstick smoke test. I go through a quart of oil every 4-5k miles, so I don't think oil consumption is my issue. No noticeable leaks anywhere and boosts to 18-20psi regularly. I did notice it rarely happens in 1st and 2nd gear. It usually happens if I'm going along in 3rd or higher and then accelerate hard. Since boost doesn't get up to 18-20psi in first and second gear, maybe it is the tune running a bit rich when boost levels get to the max.

Would the tune running rich at WOT gradually show up like this? I've had the tune for 3+ years with no problems. Could it be the MAF getting a bit dirty or long in the tooth?

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
No aftermarket DP or cat. All stock. PCV system was functioning normally last time I checked recently, according to the glove test and the dipstick smoke test. I go through a quart of oil every 4-5k miles, so I don't think oil consumption is my issue. No noticeable leaks anywhere and boosts to 18-20psi regularly. I did notice it rarely happens in 1st and 2nd gear. It usually happens if I'm going along in 3rd or higher and then accelerate hard. Since boost doesn't get up to 18-20psi in first and second gear, maybe it is the tune running a bit rich when boost levels get to the max.

Would the tune running rich at WOT gradually show up like this? I've had the tune for 3+ years with no problems. Could it be the MAF getting a bit dirty or long in the tooth?
The tune alone would not cause a rich enough condition for visible smoke. If it is "rich" smoke, it is a problem that needs to be addressed. When you say 1 quart every 4-5k, that seems a bit high, unless you do A LOT of heavy acceleration. I go through about 1/2 quart at maximum over the same distance, but I am also pretty conservative on the throttle most days. When you rev these engines high, they do consume a decent amount of oil.
Also, I'm sitting at 105k miles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oil burning has a slight blue tint. I wouldn't be worried about some black smoke under heavy accel. The ECU is probably just running a bit rich to keep cylinder temps down and prevent detonation. I work on airplane engines for a living with adjustable mixture settings. The things dump thick black smoke out when running at full rich, but it also keeps the CHT's down.

It it's dumping thick smoke out during normal accel then I'd be a little worried

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think you would notice a blue tint when looking out of the rear view. You need to at least check the turbo seals, you're putting a lot more load on the turbo in higher gears so it would make sense that the turbo seals are going. If anything the car will lean out once you get more boost in higher gears. My stage 1 had absolutely no smoke with a straight through exhaust, you shouldn't either especially with a cat and the stock exhaust. If you threw on a cat less down pipe and a straight through exhaust you would be getting way more black smoke.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
does your car have any smell after some heavy acceleration?

My car seems to consume about as much oil as yours does but I dont really notice smoke

1 - 20 of 25 Posts