SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just ordered slotted rotors from brake performance.com i checked black because i thought the inner hub/hat (whatever its called) would be black so it wouldnt get that rusted. however when i got the rotors they were completely black! haha whats up with that? im sure color doesnt make a difference but ive never seen black rotors before.. anyone with Rs have black rotors?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks pretty cool, I wouldn't have expected an entirely black disc like that. My concern would be that coating wearing off into the brake pads and causing an undesirable squeal or something. I've seen anti corrosive rotor coastings cause similar issues, OE parts directly from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'd wipe them off with brake cleaner (or lacquer thinner, or other strong solvent) before install (careful to only hit the pad sweep area) Can't tell what that coating is, but I sure wouldn't want to do any "for real" braking until I knew for sure that I had perfect brakes.

They *do* look cool... but so would spraying them with Krylon... or bluing them... neither would be advisable, however.

That's just my .02...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Isn't that the black zinc-oxide a lot of the performance rotor companies are putting on their rotors?

Question... I plan on getting new rotors & brakes in about a month or two. So, Drilled & Slotted? Dimpled & Slotted? Is there a strength issue w/ drilled or dimpled?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
lol gold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't EBC do a "gold"ish colored rotor as their premium line? Not for our R rotors, but in general...

·
Registered
998 Posts

A sample pic of my previous gold brembo rotors.. I'm not sure about EBC, but note that the parts where pads and rotors come in contact will scrub gold off, turning them silver.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have the zinc EBC rotors on my BMW and love them! Once the zinc coating is removed from the rotor face, only the center/hat is still zinc which doesn't rust. It's the best choice other than the black. On my BMW, it would look lame otherwise as my setup is custom and the caliper doesn't grab all the way to the center. So part of the rotor surface would rust. I also like the EBC's b/c they aren't drilled. Just slotted and dimpled.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I love the black rotor look... does anyone make a true black rotor for our cars?
Not unless they can make a black colored steel that will also be tough enough to be a rotor...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.