SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides IPD, does anyone know of other sales on performance parts?

And on a side note, if I'm upgrading to stage 3 (FMIC + exhaust/DP + tune) are there any supplemental parts that would be beneficial to engine performance and longevity? E.g. TCV, CBV, wastegate actuator, silicone vacuum hoses, etc...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Last year I got my Shark stage3 on black friday for $100 cheaper than the normal price! Get on c30crew to see direct ad's, maybe theyll do it again this year.
So, I would recommend just being up with all your maintenance before tuning or at least, (like I did), have plans(money) to replace parts as they go
before the tune i got i had the trans fluid replaced, spark plugs, Timing belt and accessory belts done and bought new wheels and tires..

Since ive had the tune on Ive done FPS, TCV, LCA's, Pads/Rotors, All motor mounts, Coolant Tank.
So my advice, as long as your the kind of person who wont just ignore regular maintenance when that time comes to do it-- Go on a slap on the supporting mods and tune it!

good idea with the thread

///POST ALL LINKS to BLACK FRIDAY DEALS\\\

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I had to do TCV, CBV and turbo hoses after doing the DP and tune. you may want to do the lower torque mount as well. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the timing belt and engine mount a couple months ago. Brakes are coming up. Planning on doing a complete fluid exchange before I install the mods (or at least the tune). Prob gonna go ahead and order the TCV from IPD; it's only 70 bucks at the moment.

I'm really hoping Shark tunes go on sale- if not, I emailed them a while back and they offered a handheld w/ a stage 3 map (along w/ immobilizer and stock maps) for $799 shipped. Definitely won't be complaining if I can save another 50 though.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
VIVA is doing a sale, and I am interested in their chassis braces: 10% off. But when I go to the page, all the prices seem normal:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/bran...331862261&mc_cid=9a0ded3314&mc_eid=8a193dc8c7
Add it to the cart and you'll see the sale price.

Thanks for the info everyone! About to pull the trigger on a do88 :) Looks like EST wins my business since their free shipping means it's $30 cheaper than Viva.

Now for a downpipe...anyone have a preference on Elevate vs EST? I have AWD so I'm pretty much limited to those.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Brown

I'd [roughly] estimate the skidplate weighs ~16lbs.

I basically took 13" off the width to account for the wheels, and I'd say the plate is about 24" long. Divide by 8 to get volume in cubic inches, and then convert to cubic feet (only because that's what google specifies density in), multiply by 167 lbs (weight of a cubic ft of AL) and you're right around 16 lbs.

One thing I notice about the skid plate is that it doesn't have the ventilation louvres the stock one has (not sure if that really matters though).

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
16lbs sounds about right from when I shipped mine.
16lbs and protection is better than no skid plate at all. But I still don't like that iPd's doesn't cover the belts... I'm more concerned for the belts than the oil pan.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone! About to pull the trigger on a do88 :) Looks like EST wins my business since their free shipping means it's $30 cheaper than Viva.

Now for a downpipe...anyone have a preference on Elevate vs EST? I have AWD so I'm pretty much limited to those.
I installed est dp a year ago. The quality of the pipe is good except for the mounting points. It was a bit too snug so it kept banging the exhaust tunnel. I ended up making an extra brace to hold it in place. Can't say if the elevate dp is better but that's my experience.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

AWD DP absolutely buy EST-- its a good piece and sits way up in the car-- I think the elevate pipe will hang much lower. I have the elevate catback and its way too low for no reason at all. The EST DP is worth it. and i'd recommend buying the 02 spacer now to get rid of the code once it comes. Ive had no clearance or mounting issues with the EST pipe, ive had many clearance problems with elevate stuff.

Edit: Really, the skid plate doesnt protect the belts? Im not really worried about smashing my oil pan but yeah, Im getting mud and crap up into the bay that i really dont want in there. Maybe ill just pick up the plastic splash guard then.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AWD DP absolutely buy EST-- its a good piece and sits way up in the car-- I think the elevate pipe will hang much lower. I have the elevate catback and its way too low for no reason at all. The EST DP is worth it. and i'd recommend buying the 02 spacer now to get rid of the code once it comes. Ive had no clearance or mounting issues with the EST pipe, ive had many clearance problems with elevate stuff.
Good to hear. I hate scraping the exhaust (or any part of the car, really) so it's nice there won't be any clearance issues.

Haha this is turning into an expensive shopping week, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the EST pipe too. :grinsanta: There's a fabrication shop in Denver (MoFab) I'd like to get an estimate from for a custom, but I think that'll end up more expensive (already heard that from a different shop). Prob gonna get a custom cat-back though, ideally with an electric cutout. I like the sleeper factor of the S40, and going by Youtube, the bolt-on cat-backs are loud enough to take away from that.

If you're down sometime, I'd love to meet up and hear the Elevate cat-back in person- grab some beers or something.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Good to hear. I hate scraping the exhaust (or any part of the car, really) so it's nice there won't be any clearance issues.

Haha this is turning into an expensive shopping week, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the EST pipe too. :grinsanta: There's a fabrication shop in Denver (MoFab) I'd like to get an estimate from for a custom, but I think that'll end up more expensive (already heard that from a different shop). Prob gonna get a custom cat-back though, ideally with an electric cutout. I like the sleeper factor of the S40, and going by Youtube, the bolt-on cat-backs are loud enough to take away from that.

If you're down sometime, I'd love to meet up and hear the Elevate cat-back in person- grab some beers or something.
Yeah custom may be a good option. The elevate CB is loud. Inside, outside, it sounds cool but yeah not very sleeper haha. I dont know how to describe it but its weird...Its very loud between 2k-3k RPM and then super quiet anything over 3000rpm.. so its exactly the opposite of what i thought it'd be like. Loud when driving normally, quiet when really goosing it. makes no sense to me.
BUT sure, if you'd like to hear it let me know.

I picked up the intake off of Eurosport. I'm not too crazy about the K&N Typhoon intake the car came with
^im curious to see what you think of that mototec thing... I dont personally know anyone with it but it looks good.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the haul from the black friday sales:

EST (Mototec) DP, do88 IC, IPD TCV, exhaust manifold gasket.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
:thumbup:
hell yeah! are you going to install the DP?
i ending up paying a shop to do it haha. It took them all day, they called saying, I'm not sure if we can get this last bolt off without breaking it.
and your doing the exhaust gasket? All i can say is goodluck... Maybe it'd be easiest to just take the driveshaft out before even trying to take that third bolt off.
The o2 spacer works well, I'd use the one with the largest whole, that worked for me.
i like the look of that intercooler too.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haven't decided yet, though I'm definitely leaning towards having a shop install the DP and the manifold gasket at the same time. how much did you pay for the job?

also how do the welds look on your DP? I'm not terribly impressed with the build quality of mine. I'm sure it'll function fine but def not the prettiest up close.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
yeah, thats a good point, the welds arent pretty. But what was important to me was the fitment inside the car. My elevate pipes looked soo nice, the welds were better and whatnot, but the fitment was terrible... the thing rubbed everywhere and i think the design of one of the flanges couldhave been much better.

i forget what i paid the shop now. But i think $250-$300. He quoted me a cheap price... but he didnt know how hard itd be. I knew how hard it would be so when it took them all day to do it, and the original price was for about 2.5 - 3 hours so i was okay with that.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hmm just looked at your pipe there, why the hell is it black around the cat, mine didnt look nearly as bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts