SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through a catalogue at our printer's today and noticed that they have raised clear decals like those found on the XC ORE. It is feasible that an emblem, similar to those found on new Volvos, could be made for the grill of the 240 and whatever other older Volvo uses that larger size emblem.

It'd be the black/silver/blue style with the Volvo text bar in blue. We could do it, but we'd need to partner with a dealership to have them made, so we theoretically wouldn't be stepping on any copyright issues.

The only other downside is that we'd have to purchase a couple hundred at a time.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have been wondering about this for a while. I would really like to get a new black/blue one for my 960. Isn't the emblem square a part of the slash as well?

-Drew

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Do you mean an overlay sticker?

If you wanted, you could make overlays that stick on top of an existing emblem.
I would sub-surface screen print the volvo emblem on polycorbonate lexan .020" thick using a high performance 3M adhiesive. As long as they are applyed on a dry non-oily
surface it last for years.
If you made a huge sheet of these and cut them out (die cut or guliten) you could sell them for $5 bucks a peice and make a killing.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Oh, profit on a production af a decent quatity that is. Set-up for screen printing cost money that is effective for high volume, especially a sticker that small.

It would look great and make people happy too
The color combinations would be fun!

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I wonder if you had a little swedespeed in small just above the volvo lettering if that would be infringing. It would essentally be a "swedespeed Volvo" logo that would be original. Maybe. It would be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I've thought of just trying to work with a dealer I know. From what I understand legally, dealer's have license to produce stuff with the Volvo logo on it. Still, having to do a 500 run might be tough, as it'd be a big cash outlay.

I have a source and pricing. Basically the image/logo is printed on a foil, so we could do chrome or brushed silver for the silver part of the Volvo logo (circle/arrow and Volvo lettering) and then print two colors, black and blue onto it. Then Polyurethane is poured on it to create a domed effect. These are commonly used by Used Car dealers and I think it's what IPD does for their own domed decals.

It'd have to be manufactured to a custom shape (to match the grill) and it'd have to be two colors (black and blue) so that'd add cost.

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 06-29-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
That sounds nice. Hope you can get permission to print those!
Color emblems from easternaerospace sell for $30-$40 USD and look to be single color only and chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts