SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Few things knocked out this past month:

Brake fluid flush with new fluid, rear differential oil changed, new V8 engine emblem, ordered the P2 litecam as well. Excited to get a rearview camera hooked up. Been driving other vehicles and I hate to admit it but I've come to rely on it more. Looking at swapping some sportier tires on for the summer, possibly the Michelin CrossClimate 2 XL 107V in stock size (235/60R18). I love the Geolandars, but they have a lot of stiff feedback when driving over potholes. Need to bite the bullet and do the transmission fluid myself.

Since I've been hauling kids around in the DadWagon, I have the 3rd row seats up all the time. The XC90 is a little storage space challenged, so I noticed a ton of potential in the rear cargo area under the floor mat. This has worked out super well to store trailer ball mounts, first aid kits, tow straps, ratchet straps, etc. Pack it all tight so it doesn't rattle around and it's a great storage area.

edit: looking at this picture, it looks like all this crap is just tossed in there. It’s more organized than it seems, I swear!

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
747 Posts

Brake fluid flush with new fluid, rear differential oil changed, new V8 engine emblem, ordered the P2 litecam as well. Excited to get a rearview camera hooked up. Been driving other vehicles and I hate to admit it but I've come to rely on it more. Looking at swapping some sportier tires on for the summer, possibly the Michelin CrossClimate 2 XL 107V in stock size (235/60R18). I love the Geolandars, but they have a lot of stiff feedback when driving over potholes. Need to bite the bullet and do the transmission fluid myself.

Since I've been hauling kids around in the DadWagon, I have the 3rd row seats up all the time. The XC90 is a little storage space challenged, so I noticed a ton of potential in the rear cargo area under the floor mat. This has worked out super well to store trailer ball mounts, first aid kits, tow straps, ratchet straps, etc. Pack it all tight so it doesn't rattle around and it's a great storage area.
Oh, you had me at rear diff. How did you do it???? I have tried on multiple occasions to get the 13mm fill plug out but I just can't do it. It's so tight and there's barely any room to work down there. Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to do this for about 3 months now and I just can't get the darn plug off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, you had me at rear diff. How did you do it???? I have tried on multiple occasions to get the 13mm fill plug out but I just can't do it. It's so tight and there's barely any room to work down there. Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to do this for about 3 months now and I just can't get the darn plug off.
Really? Assuming you get the car up high enough you should be able to get in there with a 13mm box-end wrench without too much trouble. Maybe you need a stubby 13mm + hammer to tap it loose.

·
Registered
112 Posts

edit: looking at this picture, it looks like all this crap is just tossed in there. It’s more organized than it seems, I swear!

View attachment 122114
Hey BK is it possible to add the P2 camera mod to a car that didn't have the center dashboard GPS?
I have an R-Design - I was thinking of ordering a popup LCD from the USA and then fitting the mod?
Will it work or does it need programming at a dealer? (Nearest dealer is 4000km away lol!)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey BK is it possible to add the P2 camera mod to a car that didn't have the center dashboard GPS?
I have an R-Design - I was thinking of ordering a popup LCD from the USA and then fitting the mod?
Will it work or does it need programming at a dealer? (Nearest dealer is 4000km away lol!)
I was told by the company that makes the P2 Lite Cam that it is possible, provided that you have the cable that goes along with the screen. Not entirely sure what that all entails, but that's what they told me. I've been interested in doing the same to mine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You would have to check to make sure the LCD power plug is in the dash, not all were fitted, but yeah you could get away with just the LCD and it's cable that runs to the NAV under the seat on XC90's.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You may want to consider the Legend Audio head unit - did the upgrade in mine over the winter and it makes a huge difference. Plus, it's HD front and rear-cam compatible.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
For the time it took, the money involved, and a clean OEM look, I’m super happy with the P2 LiteCam. Drill hole, route wires to DVD unit and reverse light signal, done. It might not be the most modern looking thing, but it operates the way it would have from the factory.

The only minor gripe I have is not related to the camera, but the navigation screen that takes 10 minutes to crawl into an operable mode. I looked at the fuses but pulling it would disable the whole unit, rather than just the motor. I wouldn’t mind if the whole screen stayed in “active mode” and the display went dark after turning the car off. Once the car is turned on, I wouldn’t have to wait for the motor to lift the screen. Alas. I need to be more patient with my 12 year old car.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
747 Posts
For the time it took, the money involved, and a clean OEM look, I’m super happy with the P2 LiteCam. Drill hole, route wires to DVD unit and reverse light signal, done. It might not be the most modern looking thing, but it operates the way it would have from the factory.

The only minor gripe I have is not related to the camera, but the navigation screen that takes 10 minutes to crawl into an operable mode. I looked at the fuses but pulling it would disable the whole unit, rather than just the motor. I wouldn’t mind if the whole screen stayed in “active mode” and the display went dark after turning the car off. Once the car is turned on, I wouldn’t have to wait for the motor to lift the screen. Alas. I need to be more patient with my 12 year old car.

View attachment 123406

View attachment 123407
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I switched to Sprint an aftermarket radio, really. This and then the lack of bluetooth/CarPlay/any sort of phone connectivity was the second reason why but the camera quality, time to activation, and night vision were the main reasons for the decision to go with an aftermarket radio.

Reactions: BKXC90

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Pull it apart and kill the motor wires?
Thought about it. My only concern is that I don’t make it permanent, just in case I sell it someday.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
After living with the RVC for a few days, I definitely want to kill that motor. I've dug into VIDA a bit but came up short. I found an image related to the installation of the navigation system, but the only wiring diagram I found was only related to the portable navigation system. Hoping someone might be able to help me track down the location of the motor and the power to it. From this image, it looks like the power to the motor should be from one of those three harnesses that plug into the navigation screen. My next step is to hopefully find some time to pull it apart and start pulling out harnesses to see which one kills the motor :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're probably gonna have to pull apart the screen assembly itself and find the wires going to the motor, unless you can decifer which wire controls it. A wiring diagram I found shows connector A with violet & black wires (powers and grounds), and connector B goes to the MMM under the driver's seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You're probably gonna have to pull apart the screen assembly itself and find the wires going to the motor, unless you can decifer which wire controls it. A wiring diagram I found shows connector A with violet & black wires (powers and grounds), and connector B goes to the MMM under the driver's seat. Good luck!
Thanks! If you have that wiring diagram handy, it might help me. I took the assembly out of the dash. Two connectors to the unit and one to the nonexistent speaker (note to self - source that speaker). I did see two sets of violet and black wires, but pulling out the whole connector killed the whole unit. Just gotta figure out which ones are for the motor without gutting that whole navigation unit.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Speaker doesn't matter if you don't have premium audio.
Well, crap.

Thanks for the link! It actually doesn't look too bad to take it apart and disconnect the motor. I will try that and see if it works. In theory, if I turn the nav on (screen up), remove it, and pull out both harnesses, it should stay up so that disconnecting the power to that motor should leave it in the up position. Let's hope theory = reality.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts