SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting a thread because I'm starting to lose track of all the little things I've done on this beautiful beast.

This is my second Volvo; I had a 2005 V50 T5 wagon for a very short time before it blew its guts out. I also had a 2001 V70 T5M as a COVID project car. My fourth Volvo just joined the family - a 2008 C30 project car.

I've loved the XC90 since I first saw it as a kid. Been a dream car for me. Started reading about them, knew I had to have the V8 after having two underpowered cars in the past: an off-road Nissan Xterra and a base model Subaru Impreza (5 speed). Had been tossing around the idea of trading in my beloved Subaru for something a little bigger and a little sleeker. Found this XC90 V8 in Chicago with 65K on it and made the drive from Michigan to make the trade. Haven't regretted it for a second. Since then, here is a quick list of what I've done:

• OEM hitch added (scrap yard find), OEM trailer harness (30756529), trailer module (30664974)
  • Rhino Rack aero bars
  • WeatherTech mats (all 4 + cargo mat)
  • Replaced fuse for navigation system that rendered it useless
  • Rear middle bench seat delete
  • Liftgate supports replaced
  • Tail lamps replaced (new LED style - 31335506 / 31335507)
  • Battery replaced
  • Splash guards added (OEM)
  • Subframe bushings
  • Exhaust repair - flex pipe
  • De-chromed a bit (C-pillar, rear strip, front lower grilles)
  • OEM Atlantis wheels (scrap yard find - refinished, repainted)
  • K&N air filter, fuel filter, OEM spark plugs at 71K miles (332328 / 30636704 / 30731383)
  • Map / GPS system update to 2015
  • Stabilizer bar braces replaced
  • O2 sensor replaced (Bosch 15179)
  • Tires - Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 235/60R18 (winter rated)
  • Meyle HD front and rear end links
  • Fuel cap replaced, Swedish front plate
  • Upper and PS lower engine mounts replaced (30723146 / 30723702)
  • Cabin air filter, dual rear fog lights (8693010), strut stabilizer bar repainted
  • Front and rear brakes / rotors (Zimmerman 336mm)
  • Roof rail delete (8667805 x2, 8667806 x2, 8667807 x2, 31250206 x2, 30655393 x2, 31250205 x2)
  • Rear door taxi washers (9487627)
  • DRL disable through VIDA
  • New V8 emblem for engine (30731838)
  • Aluminum “sport” pedals
  • Swede Solutions P2 litecam
  • Tires - Michelin CrossClimate2 235/60R18 XL 107V (winter rated)
  • Euro style rearview mirrors or Volvo part 31297395
  • Transmission fluid flush at 89,000 miles (Mobil 3309)

To do:
  • 3rd row cargo barrier (8641489)
  • Replace cracking (wood) steering wheel with OEM leather wheel (30664826)
  • Decal site

Brought home June 2018:

December 2020:

·
Registered
235 Posts
looks practically new! After this winter I'm seriously considering getting splash guards from all the muddy splashes we have around here but we're just getting ready for summer down here now, welcome!

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks practically new! After this winter I'm seriously considering getting splash guards from all the muddy splashes we have around here but we're just getting ready for summer down here now, welcome!
Thanks! I do like the OEM splash guards but they could stand to protect a bit more. I used to have Rally Armor on my Subaru so I am considering a set of those for more coverage.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just adding some pictures - scrap yard wheels refinished, the Prancing Moose, the rear bench seat removal, and flex pipe repair.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I need to do that flex pipe repair on mine, do you know what size flex sections were used?

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I need to do that flex pipe repair on mine, do you know what size flex sections were used?
Sorry, I do not. That repair was done by our local Euro shop. I can ask and see if they know.

Friday was a productive day - OE spark plugs, Wix fuel filter, K&N air filter, and the OE trailer tow harness. I need to read more about the harness in regards to the trailer module itself. The instructions dirdcted me to take off the rear panel above the wheel well to access the trailer module, but I didn't have enough time to find out if my car came with it or not. Guessing no, but I do not want to purchase it if it's either already there or if it's not needed. I doubt I will ever pull a trailer with brakes using the XC. I plugged in the harness to the fuse panel and the fuses were already correctly populated, but I am still getting just an aux signal from the 7 pin. Need to grab the schematic and keep digging. I was happy to find that the spark plugs were just as challenging as I expected - not too easy and enough to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got my winter setup installed. These are OEM wheels from a 1st gen found at a scrap yard ($100), DIY refinished and painted ($40), with iPD center caps ($50) and 235/60R18 Blizzaks ($800). Really excited for winter.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking into tightening up the suspension and steering; tie rods, stabilizer bars, etc. Other than that, we had winter for a brief, cold week.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Looking into tightening up the suspension and steering; tie rods, stabilizer bars, etc. Other than that, we had winter for a brief, cold week. [/QUOTE]

If you want an excellent suspension and steering set-up, check out Chitown-V's upgrade guide.
[url]https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?590829-ChitownV-my-front-end-rebuild-upgrade-using-OEM-amp-aftermarket-parts[/url]

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want an excellent suspension and steering set-up, check out Chitown-V's upgrade guide.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...build-upgrade-using-OEM-amp-aftermarket-parts
That looks intense! Thank you for that. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those never-ending projects that I'll never be happy with until everything is new. Wish me luck.

Other than that, working on a loose rear seatback issue. Might have some time to dig into that this weekend as well.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Inherited a little brother! Got the OEM trailer stuff set up on the XC90 and pulled this wagon over 500 miles home. Just have to figure out this P0131 code for an oxygen sensor that popped on the way home.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the P0131 code resolved! Bank 1, sensor 1. Part ordered and replaced the O2 sensor near the radiator. Engine light is gone, idle is back to normal.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got around to the 5K oil change, and had the TPMS sensors programmed. Replaced the Blizzaks with a high-performance winter rated SUV tire - Michelin CrossClimate SUV in the same size (235/60R18). Finally, added an extended length Thule basket up top. Had the standard version (Canyon XT) but it just didn't fill out the roof enough. The extended fits a little better and definitely hauls more toilet paper & Volvo parts.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never did take to the XC90 like my wife did and I maintain it only to what wears out. I am actually pleasantly surprised at how well it is holding up but perhaps understandable since this car rarely sees 100 km/H (60MPH).

That's quite a rack you put on your car but gosh those Blizzaks still look good to me. I am leaving the Gislaved winter tires on for the summer and will replace with same in the fall. They are almost to the wear bars but have been on for 12 seasons now.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never did take to the XC90 like my wife did and I maintain it only to what wears out. I am actually pleasantly surprised at how well it is holding up but perhaps understandable since this car rarely sees 100 km/H (60MPH).

That's quite a rack you put on your car but gosh those Blizzaks still look good to me. I am leaving the Gislaved winter tires on for the summer and will replace with same in the fall. They are almost to the wear bars but have been on for 12 seasons now.
Snow tires wear out real quick at summer temperatures. We had a pretty mild winter, and the new Michelins are winter-rated. Combined with the AWD, I should be in good shape for next winter.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful vehicle. I love those V8's. After hearing clips of them straight-piped I think that would be the first thing I would do! :D
It's so hard to stay away from the exhaust sections on FCP and iPD. Then I see the prices and it's super easy!
However, over the winter I was on the receiving end of a hit-and-run. The rear part of my lower fascia (silver part near the hitch) is cracked and needs to be replaced. Which means I could order the one for a dual exhaust instead...then it would make a nice, throaty, dual exhaust much easier to justify, right?! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's so hard to stay away from the exhaust sections on FCP and iPD. Then I see the prices and it's super easy!
However, over the winter I was on the receiving end of a hit-and-run. The rear part of my lower fascia (silver part near the hitch) is cracked and needs to be replaced. Which means I could order the one for a dual exhaust instead...then it would make a nice, throaty, dual exhaust much easier to justify, right?! :D
I would do that tbh, would give it a bit of flair, and a richer exhaust note. Only thing i have to say is be wary of it, ive burned my knees on rear dual exhausts. As for straight piping, i would say a resonator in place of the muffler could give a nice note while not being really really loud.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
you do lose the spare tyre when you go the dual exhaust route though! Mine came with dual exhaust and I did get stranded at real remote locations with sidewalls cut by some sharp rocks once... for long trips I'm seriously considering getting a roof rack and put a spare up top lol

1 - 20 of 72 Posts