SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently experienced torrential (and I mean torrential, as in two people in my town alone died due to falling tree limbs) rains in my area, and my XC70 (thank you to all who advised on the purchasing process) held up as well as, if not better, than any of the quattro's that I've driven.

HOWEVER -- shortly after the storm, I hopped back in the car and had a BULB LIGHT FAILED message -- and yes, I hopped out and checked, and my right side low-beam was out. Totally.

So, I decided to order a replacement bulb from IPD. But before I did, I went out and gave it a little kick, just to check. No dice.

Until I realized later that night that the right bulb was NOT burnt out and was in fact working COMPLETELY fine -- as long as I was in P. The SECOND I switched over to D, it would go off. Turn the car off, turn it back on, the light came on -- until I switched to P.

What gives - any ideas?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Until I realized later that night that the right bulb was NOT burnt out and was in fact working COMPLETELY fine -- as long as I was in P. The SECOND I switched over to D, it would go off. Turn the car off, turn it back on, the light came on -- until I switched to P.
There are two instances when the gear selector is in P in your description above. In one, the bulb worked, and in another, it doesn't. Sounds more like intermittent function to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction -- when I switched to D.

The light only stays on when I stay in P.

That's what happens when you write a post when you're exhausted!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Correction -- when I switched to D.

The light only stays on when I stay in P.
If the low beams are used for daytime running lights (DRL), then perhaps the DRL controller or a fuse related to the DRL needs replacing? Although, I assume there is only one DRL controller, so it should affect both left and right units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts