SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the highway a few days ago. The car shuddered, thought it was rough road. Then it happened again, noticed I had lost all instruments, OEM GPS was rebooting, clock had zero'd out. Lost power windows and radio. However a few LED's on the center stack were still on, as was my sat radio which is powered by cigarette lighter. Also got a series of warning messages, ABS, SRS and check engine.

Off the highway, transmission went into safe/crawl home mode. But otherwise it drove normally in the higher gears, steering, braking, etc.

Got it home, shut it off and tried to restart - it did but then stalled immediately. A bit later I got enough power back to unlock all the doors and move the windows. But still stalled on start. Called the tow truck. An hour later, the tow guy was able to start the car and drive it right onto the flatbed.

Shop reported multiple soft codes for comms, but no hard codes. Car ran fine for them on a two hour test drive. Battery, alternator & connections all good. And its run fine for me the last few days.

I have no clue. Help?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. This is an indication that your ECM (Electronc Control Module, note NOT ECU) is on it's way out. I was left stranded 80mi from home at my client's office after my ECM shorted out. According to the dealer the ECM is located along the firewall and over time, water can leak past the weather stripping and intrude onto the ECM, shorting it out. Replacement cost me $1500 incl labor. I'd take some RTV and seal the ECM box and check for leaks along the front windshield weather stripping. Hopefully you caught it in time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. This is an indication that your ECM (Electronc Control Module, note NOT ECU) is on it's way out. I was left stranded 80mi from home at my client's office after my ECM shorted out. According to the dealer the ECM is located along the firewall and over time, water can leak past the weather stripping and intrude onto the ECM, shorting it out. Replacement cost me $1500 incl labor. I'd take some RTV and seal the ECM box and check for leaks along the front windshield weather stripping. Hopefully you caught it in time.
I have had similar experiences with several BMWs, my fix was a good coat of silicone spray lube (I only came up with the idea after multiple standings in the rain), the idea being something extremely hydrophobic and non conductive would prevent such problems. On the two cars I did it to, after experiencing such problems, I never had it happen again. I have never seen a module actually permanently short (happened 5 times (2x on a 528e with new windshield [fixed by putting ecu in ziplock bag], 2x 325i Convert original windshield but deteriorating rubber, and 750il all the ECUs were located directly under hood drain [thanks for the great design]), maybe I was lucky to never fry one. Could someone post pics of the location of the ECM? On my 06 V8 there is a computer that sits under the air box cover.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the suggestions, will hope for the easy fix...

It occured to me that the quick shudder might be ABS pulsing the brakes just one time, then releasing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '06 started with the gas gauge not activating intermittently and of course when I was 800 miles from home and ready to head back with the family, it went into limp mode and got all sorts of error messages on the display. Towed it to Volvo of Memphis who replaced the ECM. Good news was, it was covered under the factory 80,000 mile emissions warranty (which I did not know about, but pleased none the less) and I did not pay a dime for the part of labor.

If yours is under 80,000 miles, I bring it to your Volvo dealer and have them replace it under the emissions warranty like mine.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it happened again today, back at the shop. And I'm at 138K, so I'm hosed...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The most common mistake is to close any electrical or electronic parts in total closed bag or box.
With constant changing of outside temperature inside bag or boxes without air condensate will destroy much quicker
all parts.
When I was working with cable TV installations I also put some elements in box with rubber and close good.
But after few months we get huge problems. Solution is to drill very small hole 1 mm in any box under to prevent
condensation process inside. Air will flow and regulate the same temp. inside / outside.

p.s. the same mistakes at my car I have 2 years ago and we change complete units with new one. Bad quality
and allways the same mistakes to all Xc90 almost 10 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts