SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the next steps for my s60. The big turbo seems to be the obvious step. A few folks have suggested that the VIVA big turbo be run with the TDI tune box. This seems … risky to me. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Fitting a larger turbo without proper tune is unadvisable. A TDI box doesn't change any of the torque limits or boost targets programmed into the car.

Obviously it's your car do what you want but I wouldn't even consider changing the turbo unless you planned a custom tune as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
I realized I didn't even answer your question. In terms of risk, I would say it's minimal as the wastegate is still only going to allow the pre programmed duty cycle to hit it's boost targets. Obviously the TDI box sort of "lies" about the boost levels but realistically your boost pressure levels will not change. Your peak number may increase just due to holding boost better throughout the range rather than tapering off as the current turbo does but I don't think the "area under the curve" will be benefited that much.

Peak number is all that matters though since its what goes in the signature at the bottom of the post

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realized I didn't even answer your question. In terms of risk, I would say it's minimal as the wastegate is still only going to allow the pre programmed duty cycle to hit it's boost targets. Obviously the TDI box sort of "lies" about the boost levels but realistically your boost pressure levels will not change. Your peak number may increase just due to holding boost better throughout the range rather than tapering off as the current turbo does but I don't think the "area under the curve" will be benefited that much.

Peak number is all that matters though since its what goes in the signature at the bottom of the post

From what ive read the volume of air being moved also matters. I think in the VW world a bigger turbo making the same bust generally makes more power, but i could be wrong about that.

That aside, your points are valid, i do not like the idea of not having the car properly tuned for such a big hardware change. I "own" the Hilton tune, but it didn't do much the first time. I might give it another shot, and if it works out, go for his stage 3 with a bigger turbo

·
Registered
603 Posts
From what ive read the volume of air being moved also matters. I think in the VW world a bigger turbo making the same bust generally makes more power, but i could be wrong about that.

That aside, your points are valid, i do not like the idea of not having the car properly tuned for such a big hardware change. I "own" the Hilton tune, but it didn't do much the first time. I might give it another shot, and if it works out, go for his stage 3 with a bigger turbo
Yes this is true. Adding a bigger turbo is not an easy thing to do. You have to think how/where to fit it. Then, you have to come with the pipe diameter and making sure you do not have to many angles. More you have angles (degrees) and number of it, more you flow of air will be stopped. The Best piping is a straight one with a small angle (degree) when needed.
Then you have to come at least with a DO88 or something as big to make sure the air cool down enough before going straight to the motor. Some even add a water sprayer system (like for windshield) to cool down the front air radiator (depending your aim of course)

Finally, you will have to go to a good tuner (not just a box). The person will have to map you Air/fuel ratio, checking your boost peak, checking the compression, and other parameters. Please keep in mind that your gearbox is not made for so much and you will have probably to come up with manual gearbox or a making sure that your turbo does not ask too much to your gearbox.

FYI: I spent time in France on Engine tune up and for people who just see a new turbo, I see all the other parameters (motor internals and electronic component)

Good luck and keep us updated about this. Pretty sure some people will follow your path ;-)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes this is true. Adding a bigger turbo is not an easy thing to do. You have to think how/where to fit it. Then, you have to come with the pipe diameter and making sure you do not have to many angles. More you have angles (degrees) and number of it, more you flow of air will be stopped. The Best piping is a straight one with a small angle (degree) when needed.
Then you have to come at least with a DO88 or something as big to make sure the air cool down enough before going straight to the motor. Some even add a water sprayer system (like for windshield) to cool down the front air radiator (depending your aim of course)

Finally, you will have to go to a good tuner (not just a box). The person will have to map you Air/fuel ratio, checking your boost peak, checking the compression, and other parameters. Please keep in mind that your gearbox is not made for so much and you will have probably to come up with manual gearbox or a making sure that your turbo does not ask too much to your gearbox.

FYI: I spent time in France on Engine tune up and for people who just see a new turbo, I see all the other parameters (motor internals and electronic component)

Good luck and keep us updated about this. Pretty sure some people will follow your path ;-)
I think he's referring to the VIVA hot side upgrade. Larger turbine wheel, billet compressor wheel, and bored out housing.

·
Registered
775 Posts

So really I think the main difference is the efficiency of the turbo. I believe the stock turbo on these engines is fairly undersized (good response for driveability). Likely the stock turbo is operating outside of it's efficiency range at higher engine speeds.

A bit of an edit to what I said previously. After looking up the turbo on vivas website. They are installing a larger COMPRESSOR wheel. So as you stated, they are looking to gain turbocharger efficiency by increasing the effective mass flow rate, which theoretically should lower the ambient temps. So, same effective boost pressure however, the turbocharger is operating more efficiently (lower temperatures) and at the intake valves, higher mass flow rate.

With all of that being said, to take full advantage of it a tune specific for your mods will be necessary. You should see a fairly large increase in top end, without that layover we see now in Dyno plots.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So really I think the main difference is the efficiency of the turbo. I believe the stock turbo on these engines is fairly undersized (good response for driveability). Likely the stock turbo is operating outside of it's efficiency range at higher engine speeds.

A bit of an edit to what I said previously. After looking up the turbo on vivas website. They are installing a larger COMPRESSOR wheel. So as you stated, they are looking to gain turbocharger efficiency by increasing the effective mass flow rate, which theoretically should lower the ambient temps. So, same effective boost pressure however, the turbocharger is operating more efficiently (lower temperatures) and at the intake valves, higher mass flow rate.

With all of that being said, to take full advantage of it a tune specific for your mods will be necessary. You should see a fairly large increase in top end, without that layover we see now in Dyno plots.

Viva actually has a stage 2 turbo that's not fully out yet. That's what i would aim for, given this. It requires bigger injector, which mandate a tune. That should give some solid Ooomph

·
Registered
775 Posts
Viva actually has a stage 2 turbo that's not fully out yet. That's what i would aim for, given this. It requires bigger injector, which mandate a tune. That should give some solid Ooomph
I think once my car is out of warranty and some development miles have been logged, I would love getting some more hp under the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts