SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is the new, post-Ford, plan; almost yearly updates, refresh every 3.5 years, replacement every 7 years. Gone are the old days where it took more than a decade for a replacement.
Well done! The T5 AWD seems like a very compelling offering while the R-Design continues to improve. I am very glad to see Volvo adopting this approach. Volvo seems to be hearing the customer feedback and adopting solutions to many of the concerns.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That is the new, post-Ford, plan; almost yearly updates, refresh every 3.5 years, replacement every 7 years. Gone are the old days where it took more than a decade for a replacement.
Does that mean 2014 is a refresh?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Dang. Huge brake rotor size increase on the R-design. It's fronts are now larger than my R's. Props to Volvo for stepping up where it needs to!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Very nice ! really...
this would definitely help them a lot with pushing sales ...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dang. Huge brake rotor size increase on the R-design. It's fronts are now larger than my R's. Props to Volvo for stepping up where it needs to!
The fronts are XC-90 brakes, the rears are still the baby rotors that Volvo loves to use. I really really wish the R designs had 4 wheel 4 piston brembos with 13.0" rotors on all 4 wheels (or bigger of course) but sadly I don't think Volvo will listen no matter how many times I whine.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fronts are XC-90 brakes, the rears are still the baby rotors that Volvo loves to use. I really really wish the R designs had 4 wheel 4 piston brembos with 13.0" rotors on all 4 wheels (or bigger of course) but sadly I don't think Volvo will listen no matter how many times I whine.
Well keep in mind that the XC90's brakes were praised for having little to no fade after repeated stops from 60 mph and that's a tank of an SUV so despite them being older brakes they should be more than up to the task of stopping a small sedan. Either way they are better than the old ones!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well keep in mind that the XC90's brakes were praised for having little to no fade after repeated stops from 60 mph and that's a tank of an SUV so despite them being older brakes they should be more than up to the task of stopping a small sedan. Either way they are better than the old ones!
I can attest to how well these brakes perform on the XC90.

I'm looking forward to putting them on my S60.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but the standard T6 uses the same brakes as the T5 right? Only the R-Design uses larger brakes?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to revive this thread, but the standard T6 uses the same brakes as the T5 right? Only the R-Design uses larger brakes?
Correct.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry folks, I'm still disappointed with my RD brakes coming from the Brembos on the R. The big metal monsters in the front just don't give me the same peaceful easy feeling at high speed braking.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'm a little disappointed with the V60 RD brakes, but not disappointed enough to drop $800/wheel on an upgrade kit for Brembos.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm a little disappointed with the V60 RD brakes, but not disappointed enough to drop $800/wheel on an upgrade kit for Brembos.

IDK why y'all don't like them.. They are way better than the ones on the C30, and considering they're the same as the xc90, they work and feel way better. Still not the best feel, but I imagine some braided ss lines would fix that

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Sorry folks, I'm still disappointed with my RD brakes coming from the Brembos on the R. The big metal monsters in the front just don't give me the same peaceful easy feeling at high speed braking.
So I did track days on my R, running Motul 600 as well as both OEM pads and Ferodo race pads.
Coming from that to my S80 V8 (which has the same 336mm brake setup as the 2013+ S60RD) I'm actually rather impressed with the S80 brakes. No they aren't quite as good and solid as the Brembos but they are darn close, and I have pushed them quite hard (though not a track day, yet).
Perhaps your S60RD needs a fluid flush? I would do that every year or even every 6 months if you want to maintain that optimal pedal feel.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It is the feel of the brakes I don't like. Especially because the feel is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it's pretty satisfying, other times I'm near the floor and get virtually no feed back on the way there.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It is the feel of the brakes I don't like. Especially because the feel is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it's pretty satisfying, other times I'm near the floor and get virtually no feed back on the way there.
Comparing the brakes between the S70 and the S60, S70 brakes feel better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts