SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My friend just recently bought an R, it had 215k miles on it and hadn’t had the timing belt, water pump, or PCV done. He decided to send it to a specialty Volvo shop somewhat close by to get them all done. $2k later, he drives the car home from the shop about an hour and a half, parks his car for a few hours, then heads to my house so we can get some detailing done on it. After we’re done we get in to go for a drive, and the car suddenly won’t start, and is making this horrible noise when it turns over. What could this be? He had it towed back to the shop, and they’re trying to say it’s a starter, which sounds a little fishy, since it cranked over without clicking or anything, just made that awful noise. Any ideas what this could be? I’m kinda thinking it may be the water pump or incorrect timing, since the car started and ran fine before.

https://youtu.be/ne1ZHLfjlYc

https://youtu.be/bpy06b9QW0w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In 20yrs of working on these can't say I've heard that before.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
It's very weird. Coming from the top part of the engine bay on the left side, almost near the timing belt area.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think water pump too. Tensioner could be loose And now the timing is off. Did you drive it to be detailed?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lol, if they get it with a starter consider yourself lucky its not the motor with the belt off..

The R has a habit of breaking right after you fix it... it did it to me about 5 times the first year. Literally second I backed it out. Right after a big repair something else completely different fails..

Its her nature, like an ex wife taking you for all you got.. and then telling you its not good enough..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lol, if they get it with a starter consider yourself lucky its not the motor with the belt off..

The R has a habit of breaking right after you fix it... it did it to me about 5 times the first year. Literally second I backed it out. Right after a big repair something else completely different fails..

Its her nature, like an ex wife taking you for all you got.. and then telling you its not good enough..
Yep, it's actually a running joke between my wife and i, yet i won't sell it because i love it too much. She does too, so I'm lucky. To be fair, most of Rs are now high in mileage and it starts to become a battle against the weakest component as things get fixed.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think water pump too. Tensioner could be loose And now the timing is off. Did you drive it to be detailed?

It drove fine on the way home to my friends house. Drove fine to my house where we were gonna clean it. Then when we went to start it again, gave us that noise and wouldn’t start.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yep, it's actually a running joke between my wife and i, yet i won't sell it because i love it too much. She does too, so I'm lucky. To be fair, most of Rs are now high in mileage and it starts to become a battle against the weakest component as things get fixed.
Thats for sure, 185k on mine. Not any worse than an older Audi..

The sound to me is more like electric motor noise, which would be the starter. But with a scary no compression crank sound sometimes.. which maybe, hopefully is the starter varying speed...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Uhhh take the cover off the timing belt... and then try...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Uhhh take the cover off the timing belt... and then try...
I’m going to tell my friend to tell the shop to check the timing cover, since it still cranks over I don’t think it’s the starter.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It drove fine on the way home to my friends house. Drove fine to my house where we were gonna clean it. Then when we went to start it again, gave us that noise and wouldn’t start.

Yes, but it got cold by sitting for a bit. Agree a good idea to pull the timing belt cover and check the timing. The starter is turning the motor.

·
Registered
859 Posts
To me, it sounds like they over adjusted the tensioner, causing the waterpump bearing to overheat during driving, then the parking caused it to cool and seize. Turning it over, you're turning the seized bearing (the sound) and the increased resistance is restricting the engine from getting up to RPM enough to turn over. I would definitely not try to start it any more.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That sounds plausable for sure jojo. I missed the part where he said the noise was the timing area... I cant imagine the shop wouldn't have looked there already if they just did the timing belt! Plus yeah it was cranking, if the timing was clear it would have started, timing sounded off.. the more i listen the worse it sounds.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Unplug the one-wire white connector on top of AC pump. The pump can be seized, it’s engaged during starting regardless if AC is on or off. Don’t remove the AC clutch fuse as the same fuse powers accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I second that, about the car not the ex. one thing after another

·
Registered
527 Posts
Consider youself lucky if you found a good girl. They've become more and more rare in these times, like finding a mint R.

This would be so easy if the car were if front of us.. seems futile, its a friend of a friends car and its at a shop an hour away.. It would take 2 seconds to find out if it was the AC.

Plain and simple if the starter doesnt fix it say obviously they will have to put the original back in and fix whats actually wrong. If it is starter car should be running same day.. otherwise they may be fixing some fkups.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jesus christ.. Shop put in the starter, big surprise, didn't fix the issue. They're "looking into it" now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think the water pump is definitely something to look into.

I had an issue where my A/C compressor seized up and it was making some weird noises but fine when the engine was running, but once it stopped, the pulley really seized, the engine wouldn't turn over due to the compressor pulley being locked up. That took a while to figure out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Remove the serpentine belt and start the car. That will narrow it down between engine and accessory. If it's accessory, your highest probability is the AC Compressor. If it's engine, your highest probability is the water pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts