SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was driving up to NH today from CT, and all of a sudden my exhaust system started sounding like Camerons from Ferris Beulers Day Off. I mean it was really loud! <P>Well I looked under the car and the pipe in the area just under the passenger seat (right before what appears to be the first catylitic converter) had separeted right at the cat?. Well its all pretty old and rusty under there, but the muffler itself is new. <P>I am bringing it to a shop on tuesday, but I was wondering how much this is all going to set me back. Does anyone have any experience with this?<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Sounds like the connection at the downpipe and cat. Is it at the triangular flange? The downpipe probably rusted through or just broke off.<P>The exhaust consists of the header that's bolted to the head, which feeds into the downpipe (the downpipe is called a "header pipe" by some parts sellers like FCP Groton) which goes from 2 pipes to 1, at which point it connects to the cat by a triangular flange with 3 bolts. The cat has a length of pipe welded on it, so the total length is around 3 feet. Then there should be the first muffler, followed by the rest of the exhaust (under axle pipe, muffler, tail pipe).<P>FCP Groton should have the part(s) you need at a good price.<P>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by towerymt:<BR><B>Sounds like the connection at the downpipe and cat. Is it at the triangular flange? The downpipe probably rusted through or just broke off.<P>FCP Groton should have the part(s) you need at a good price.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yup, it would be the connection right at the triangular flange and the downpipe. What is FCP groton though?<P>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACD:<BR><B>Yeah, you need a new header pipe. I got one from FCP Groton for ~$50. OEM is like $270!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>$320 bucks was the final verdict.....<P><P>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrocheunh:<BR><B> $320 bucks was the final verdict.....<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, and I think i was wrong when i said what it was.<P>from the rear of the car<P>muffler > pipe > unknown boxy thing >what got replaced > not sure.<P>I think i had the cat replaced too<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrocheunh:<BR><B> $320 bucks was the final verdict.....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's not too bad if you had the cat and the header pipe replaced. It cost me $190 to replace only the cat on my '87 240 (cat=$116, labor=$75). It was so rusty it had to be cut off, otherwise I would have done it myself.<P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts