SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Bi-Xenon projector retrofit 01-04 S60

What I used:
Morimoto H1 4.1 kit from ‘The Retrofit Source’ with H7 canbus wire harness.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

** quick note: the newer 6.0 version of the Morimoto mini projectors have a shorter stem, therefore the back of the H7 mount on the Volvo headlight needs to be cut down a bit to get the lock ring on. The 4.0/4.1/5.0 versions all fit without modification though. if you call TRS they may be able to supply you with the older version.

Summary:
Everything was plug and play, no cutting was required (but I did cut off an old dirty connector). The entire process can be reversed back to Halogen in the future if I sell my car.
No Bulb errors, no flickering, and everything worked on first try.

Notes:
1. The main beam (dipped beam) on an 01-04 car is an always on system. It does not run as a reduced voltage drl - so it works fine with the H7 canbus bow eliminator.
2. The beveled/fresnel lenses on 01-04 cars alter the beam pattern a little. Basically resulting in a slight curve on the top edge, and scattering the light a bit too. This is cured by replacing them with clear lenses (got mine from Eurosport tuning).
3. My H7 connectors were pretty corroded/dirty, so I cut them off and squeezed on new spade connectors ( $1.19 at auto parts store) -- this makes for solid contact and prevents any flickering (HID bulb flickering typically tends to be due to poor grounding)
4. Started after dinner and finished up at 11:30 p.m. -- so about 5hrs total including removing the bumper and reassembly at end.

Process:
1. Removed front cover from car and removed headlamp assemblies.

2. Removed bulbs and baked in oven at 130°C for seven minutes.

3. Removed lenses from the housings.

4. Removed H7 Halogen mounts from rear

5. Inserted projector through opening and pulled through solenoid wires

6. Installed H7 adapter ring and retaining ring

7. Test fit shroud

8. Cut bottom of shroud to give better clearance and fit

9. Installed shroud and headlight bezel, then put back in oven and rettached the outer lenses.

10. Attached Ballast and canbus harness to bottom of headlight assembly with industrial Velcro.
Connected harness wires to H7 and connected solenoid wires to high beam wires.

11. Tested functionality, including high beam. Reattached headlight assemblies to car.
Reattached front bumper cover.

12. Afterwards – used vertical adjusters to aim headlights to correct height.

Still to come:
Clear headlight assembly lenses >> the clear lenses have finally arrived, and are now installed.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dope!!! Man I have so many ideas floating around in my head now!! So are you going to get the clear replacement lenses from Viva? I was thinking about an LED ring around the low beam (yes I know some might think it's stupid but I think it might look alright). How much would you say the whole retrofit cost you??

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
After pics would be fine as most of use are familiar with stock beam pattern. I'm interested to see how the cutoff is with the fresnel lenses still in place.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dope!!! Man I have so many ideas floating around in my head now!! So are you going to get the clear replacement lenses from Viva? I was thinking about an LED ring around the low beam (yes I know some might think it's stupid but I think it might look alright). How much would you say the whole retrofit cost you??
The hardware was $202.50 so far (Thanksgiving weekend Black Friday was 25% off from TRS). The clear donor lenses will be about another $100 each.

update: currently the same kit is $270, and the lenses $120 each

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After pics would be fine as most of use are familiar with stock beam pattern. I'm interested to see how the cutoff is with the fresnel lenses still in place.
It is still a clean cut off with the fresnel lenses, just not a perfectly straight line. The Volvo lens curves the top edge a little.
I'll try and find a white wall somewhere for pics in the next couple days.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
there is a guy on turbo bricks that did a retrofit on his 960 with glass lenses. IIRC he managed to sand down the fluting just in the diameter that the light passes through the glass. He's known for doing top notch fab stuffs.

thePoi from TB said:
http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/95151027/medium.jpg

HIDZZZZ. They're Audi S4 assemblies. I mounted them all nice and tidy and painstakingly polished the flutes out of my headlight lenses. They work frickin awesome.
and the thread:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=131958

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Looking forward to some pics when you get a chance. Such a simple conversion with these new Morimottos, all the other retrofits I have done or seen have required cutting. I think you will have ntohing but pure WIN when the clear lenses go on, not so much for cutoff but to allow the projector to be be seen clearly, should look very clean compared to other projector lights we've seen with +100 LEDs...lol. Great work!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The hardware was $202.50 so far (Thanksgiving weekend was 25% off from TRS). The clear donor lenses will be about another $100 each.
completely missed this when i posted earlier, are the new ones going to be glass?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK, I managed to find a dark parkade in the middle of the daytime at IKEA today

I took one photo from each side of the car and stiched them together. The fresnel lenses basically curve down the edges of the beam a bit. It still lights up street signs on the side of the road. I'll get some road pics tonight once it is dark outside.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
completely missed this when i posted earlier, are the new ones going to be glass?
I found some clear glass ones from an 02 T5 D1R xenon car at a local wrecker, but they were too pitted. So now I am hunting for a new set.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A road shot on way home

on low beam

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
low vs high beam on dark road

low beam

high beam

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
definitely on the top of my mod list now. fantastic results.

did you simply re-use the old glue when you reheated them?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
definitely on the top of my mod list now. fantastic results.

did you simply re-use the old glue when you reheated them?
Yes, no extra glue was required. I just reheated. The first headllight takes a while to do, and end up cleaning off a bit of glue as you learn. The second one goes twice as fast once you are 'experienced'. No point in trying to do more than one at a time, it takes a while to get the lens off.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts