SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an unusual problem with my wife's XC 60. The automatically adjusting headlights keep adjusting excessively with big swings up-and-down while we are driving. This is incredibly annoying and distracting. Now, I may have inadvertently triggered this behavior when I did the front strut swap a couple of months ago. The headlight adjusters are bolted to the lower control arms. I had to simply unbolt those as part of that install. It is a fairly simple remove and replace with one bolt however, so I'm not sure what I could have messed up. Regardless, I did ask the dealer to recalibrate the headlights at our last visit which they indicated they did. However there was no change. To be clear this is a new behavior. Any insight as to what may be happening here and what the solution might be?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Is your warranty not in force on the xenons due to the strut swap? Seems like the dealer could trouleshoot.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Are the headlight assemblies securely attached to the car?

The retaining clips on the headlight assembly, particularly, the passenger side assembly, sometimes break during removal at services.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm pretty sure I have discovered the issue or, in my case, ISSUES (plural). I need to actually test drive the car tonight to confirm. As suspected, I introduced what is likely the majority of this problem, BUT as qaz996 notes I ALSO ave a busted headlight! Here are the specifics:

Headlight Sensor: There are two sensors "level" sensors on the XC60 (Xenons) - one front, one rear. They attach via a plastic arm to right side lower control arms. In my case, I had inadvertently FLIPPED the control arm mounting point UPSIDE DOWN (it was a nightmare job).

Here is the INCORRECT Mounting (upside down):

Here is the CORRECT Mounting after I fixed it this morning (took about 5 minutes - there is only one screw that holds it there):

Now, I will have the dealership address the second issue (broken headlight). As qaz996 notes, the headlights are held in place with a couple of plastic stakes. The stakes go through the body of the headlight assembly (note: that would be the $1200 EACH - Xenon - headlight assembly), with the inner slot being the one that breaks. It has a u-shaped plastic loop that sheers off. This has happened on our car on the DRIVER'S side (left) headlight. This is a bit unusual as it is the RIGHT side headlight which gets removed routinely for oil changes. As a side note, they are the easiest to remove headlights in the world...they just have a stupid weak link with the plastic loop.

Now per, the TSB (TJ 27277) issued on Feb 26th, 2013, Volvo has a repair kit for this issue ( basically, a metal bracket (part # 31395688) which is bolted to the broken headlight to replace the missing plastic). The TSB ALSO notes that an improved headlight was introduced in "week 48 of 2012". I don't know what the new unit looks like - likely the same style but with some reinforcement in this area. Regardless, here are some pics from the TSB on the repair procedure so you know what I am describing:

See this thread for other info:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?205727-Don-t-change-the-oil-in-your-XC60-T6-engine-or-how-to-get-dealers-to-blame-each-other&highlight=headlights

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Test drive confirmed the issue appears to be fixed. Will get the dealer to rerun any calibration procedure when I take it in to have the driver's side light fixed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mercedes dealer made that mistake on my old car too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts